Help In Water Change

jem

• SRC Member

hi..if i were to do a 20-30% water change for my 4 footer how should i go about doing it?

Should I...

1.Remove 20-30% of the water from main tank

2. -Mix Salt with Distilled water then add into tank

OR

- Use NSW..(heard that there are parasites in them..how true is that)

OR

- Just Add Distilled water without any salt mix

if i would to use method 1..surely cost me a bomb..to get salt and D/O unit for removing impurities from tap water

if i use method 2 i fear of parasites entering the main tank..

if i use method 3..what about the salinity of the tank?..

• SRC Member

Obviously not method 3.

for method 2, you can see if any reefers here had bought NSW from some LFS and get thier feedback. But then again wat is your salinity against NSW?

If you wan the best for your tank, then having a RO unit is a needed investment. Second to that is a DI unit.

Another method is to mix your salt with tap water and run Rowa in your tank. But be sure you have sufficient media and a good FR with it. A little risky somehow...

1. Remove 20-30% of the water from main tank

2. Mix Salt with Distilled water then add into tank

The way I would go, but maybe not 30% change. I think that is too much, 10%-20% should be OK. And I usually mix the salt the night before.

- Use NSW..(heard that there are parasites in them..how true is that)

Not sure about parasites, but tried once and never again! Lugging the container home is for the younger people. Too much effort needed.

- Just Add Distilled water without any salt mix

Big time NO NO. Don't even think about this.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

For water change, recommend you don't use NSW. You know the water is getting more polluted nowaday, no kidding.

Pouring in freshwater is for topoff, not change.

You should mix salt, and let the new salt water some time to fully dissolve the salt. Most people will let the newly mixed SW over 1 day, and remember keep it flow and oxygenated, can use a timer on pump which agitate the surface.

• SRC Member

:D Mix your salt with tap water and run Rowa in your tank I think this is a good enough method not very costly also.

It is better to do small amount of water change that large amount 10% monthly is good enough for most people.

Anyway I do 10% of water change every two months once so far water perimeters are good & althought not a good practice what i do is remove my entire sum water add in fresh water,salt & 2 caps of AZ NO3 run the sum only for 1 hour & than on the mian pump to pump all the water back to main tank so far everything is so good

i.e.

Ph 8.2

no2 0

No3 0-2

NH4 4 0

ca 425

Mg 1260

KH 10

po4 0

Si I think it's 10 can't remember the actual value at this moment

Specific gravity: 1.024

Chiller set temp 25 deg c