petrol consumption.

Jaslyn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

correct me if I am wrong....

If using a low capacity MPV car and load it up with 6-7 passengers, the car needed to be rev to higher RPM in order to pickup speed and this in turn will increase the fuel consumption. Also, the zero fuel weight of a MPV is usually higher than a saloon car (due to the extra row of seat) and this will also result in slightly higher fuel consumption also. If more than 50% of the car's usage is fully loaded with passenger, then it is worth the slightly higher fuel consumption, else it is better to get a saloon car.

IMHO, a MPV must be rated at least 2000cc or higher, best at 2400cc and if more power is needed, 3000cc V6.

• SRC Member

weileong, agree with you....example the Merc can only find 2000cc in Singapore, anywhere else in the world, at least 2600cc V6. Same also for the Japanese cars, Camry, Cefiro original in Japan does not come in 2000cc. For such big cars, 2000cc is really a drag although Broneo states that for that 400cc difference, the horse power is only 15-20. Think they are playing the numbers just to sell more of the 2000cc model.

On the other hand, in the states everyone driving high capacity cars but most of the time with only the driver alone and at most another passenger. It is really a waste of petrol and increases the pollution. They are biggest contributor to pollution beside China and India.

At the same time do you see the vehicle emission standard in California keep getting more strict? Because they cannot tahan the air pollution already.

Up to the extend that US car makers are claiming it is impossible to make such cars. However the Japanese are once again proving that it is possible to do so, just look at those SLEV (Super Low Emission Vehicle) from Honda.

• SRC Member

I went to hua yang enterprise yesterday to check out the toyota wish.I didnt even get to see the car in real at all.The man told me that the price of my 2.5yrs matrix can only traded in for such price and then the wish is this price...then,there is quite alot of 'hidden' cost.....

The car doesnt have anything...leather seats,sports rim...alarm...boot cover....everything we will have to pay for it..I wonder how come other people buy their car with so many foc items?

The dealer told us that the car is manufacture in japan so does it mean that in the future if we needed any spareparts,its going to cost dearly?Cos the PI says they only provide service for 3 yrs under labour charges...

• SRC Member

First thing.... the Trajet and Matrix you have driven are petrol drinkers. More thirsty than most other cars of same or even higher capacity. Eg: My 1.8 turbo car with 55L tank gets 520km in city driving.

Second thing.....for a MPV with about 6 passangers most time, don't go for mini-mpv cos you will feel the sluggishness. Need a full MPV esp if you intend to drive long distance cos its smoother. The Ody is great choice or the grandis. FC will still be around same as your previous ride but 2.4 so very smooth. Road tax for 2.4 is around 2K per year, same as Trajet. If got more $$, the XC90 is also great for 6 people.

Thirdly, there is little difference getting from PI or dealer in terms of parts cos many repair shops stock Jap car parts and many OEM parts around. Don't scared.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

when we bought the trajet,we put in 35k and when we sold it in a yr,we only got back a little over 10k so we pumped the amount into the matrix.Now,after 2.5yrs (we took 7 yrs loan)driving the matrix,shocking for us to know that,even if we would to do trade in,still have to top up 6-7k...not quite understand that part.

we will be open for a few more other models beside wish...we dont usually travel long distance so it would be a city car just to get from one side of singapore to the other side of singapore.Most importantly,fuel consumption must be economy.

Ody and Grandis is 2.4L car,meaning road tax,insurance all would be much higher.Any other option?

• SRC Member
I went to hua yang enterprise yesterday to check out the toyota wish.I didnt even get to see the car in real at all.The man told me that the price of my 2.5yrs matrix can only traded in for such price and then the wish is this price...then,there is quite alot of 'hidden' cost.....

The car doesnt have anything...leather seats,sports rim...alarm...boot cover....everything we will have to pay for it..I wonder how come other people buy their car with so many foc items?

The dealer told us that the car is manufacture in japan so does it mean that in the future if we needed any spareparts,its going to cost dearly?Cos the PI says they only provide service for 3 yrs under labour charges...

Be very careful with PIs, make sure you know your stuff before you buy from them.....if possible, buy from direct agent...

Check out the Honda Stream from direct agent, they have the 1.7 and 2.0 version priced at 79.5K and 85K. Prices taken from www.honda.com.sg......not bad!! ;)

• SRC Member

for 3 adults and 3 kids and lack of space and sluggishness in performance, maybe it s better to look at Grandis or Ody...or $ permits XC90...

I am actually scouting around for a 2nd hand..2 yr XC90..(new $180k plus).

1 yr old is asking $155 by some 2nd hand car dealer..hope to get a near 2 yr old few month down the road for like below $130....high end car has got steep depreciation 1st 2 yrs but they also have high OMV. XC90 is a diff driving experince all together. :P

People, see this thread suddenly like got space for me to blow my sad story...

My car does about 6km/L... :( :( :(

No kidding and you didn't read wrongly... at best about 7+km/L... :(

I tink the cunsumption is almost like a turbo charged car.... :(

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Rav4 is my dream car for the past yr.Is it really so bad?I read alot of this car leh.say the best fuel consumption for SUV.But then if the fuel consumption for Rav4 and trajet is the same,I will still rather go for Rav4...

yesterday went car hunting,see Rav4 until keep drooling...

• SRC Member

SUV means FC high because of car body weight. But Rav 4 not that bad, I thought as only 2WD. Even the Toureg can do 7km/l!

Nic, the XC90 is a nice 7 seater SUV. Nice and good engine. There are some 1-2 year old ones that are going at a nice price. T6 anyone?

Personally, if I want a SUV, I'll go for RX300 or wait 2 years for Audi Q5...but SUV not my type!

Jas, Honda engines are a breeze. Reliable and easy to maintain.

• SRC Member

If petrol is a consideration, forget the XC90. Friend's car gave only 5km/L. But the power is :ooh: In fact he sold the S60 T5 to get the XC90 T6 and he said the XC90 T6 drinks more than the S60 T5. He even mentioned its even more than his WRX STi. Maybe he loves to floor the accelerator. Well, he just loves car....XC90 T6 for family, WRX for solo outing.

Always take the manufacturer's published fuel consumption with a pinch of salt.

Jaslyn, think if you are really concern over the price of petrol and the consumption, can try the Wish, if not max at 2000cc in order to avoid the higher road tax. For 2000cc MPV, there are a few you can try....Mazda 5, Pinic etc.

My personal calculator: Car's price max at 1 year's salary and house's price at max 10 year's salary. That's my own guide.

• SRC Member

Yes,I m concern about the FC cos all along I have been driving a thirsty monster. No point upgrading on the road tax and insurance if wanted to cut down cost in the first place.Thats why we are opting for something not over 2.0L

I guess wish is the best choice unless I see something different.Anyway its too early to tell by just going to one PI.Will do more check on the weekend.

• SRC Member

I saw a Wish once and the owner added the words 'come true' behind the logo. :sick:

Many wish owners get their rear windows all darken....I thought its a new trend.

Think if below 2L then its the wish or the stream.

• SRC Member

that PI I went to,basically told us we have to pay for every little pieces of everything from alarm to rims and blah blah blah..... I recalled my bro bought a honda accord last Oct and he gets everything FOC from rims to alarm to reverse sensor...so I really wouldnt know if the windows come darken or whether the rear has aircon...anyone has a reliable PI to recommend?

• SRC Member
matrix is already not bad comparing to our previous trajet.Thats a drink machine,imagine full tank at close to $100(3yrs ago price) only last lesser than 260km and thats 5 days usage.Matrix's full tank was like within $80(at 1.837 per litre) and can go till 370km.

Jaslyn,

Base on your petrol price, you are pumping premium petrol rite ?

I use to pump Vpower it is smooth and burns easily.

Then I switch to 98 and i realiase I can travel longer distance with 98.

My friend then experiment between 95 and 98, he told me 95 can travel longer than 98.

The higher the octane, seems burns better and comsume more petrol.

May be thats why your Hyundai seems to be a heavy drinker.

Toyota and honda engines are great and economical.

Toyota wish is a gd buy but as everyone says, you better know your stuff before you approach PI.

I have 2 cars at the moment. 2000cc and 1600 cc

My 2000 cc consumption is almost equivalent to 1600 cc

No doubts 2000 cc is Japanese (IS200), 1600CC Renault Megane

At around $85 petrol I can travel 600Km for both car and still have lots of reserve.

Choosing the right brand car will save you lots of cost in long term.

Furthermore Fuel cost is rising.

My good friend family is in vehicle business, from bikes to cars.

If you need me to check details on Toyota Wish, pls PM your number and i will get them to contact you. (I am not car salesmen :D )

Anyway my friend told me new EVO9 stocks just arrive.

I was surprised on the prices, so cheap.

Anyone interested ? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

I m using 98. Was thinking if I m able to just use the 95? Not very sure whats the differences though,to me,its unleaded :D

A tank of petrol like 52L, goes for max 360KM,thats if I ignored the blinking light until really cannot tahan anymore.Usually it was only about 300km.A few tmes was even around 270-280KM only.

Previously when I had the trajet,within 6mths,battery not working....after that,sterring wheel shaking...twirling to the left side....brake pad got problem....then within a yr,aircon foul smell....even with agent warranty,I wasnt able to get it really fixed.

Thats why I m worried about getting it from PI.Although my current matrix doesnt seem to have any problem beside the battery changed last yr.

• SRC Member
I m using 98. Was thinking if I m able to just use the 95? Not very sure whats the differences though,to me,its unleaded :D

A tank of petrol like 52L, goes for max 360KM,thats if I ignored the blinking light until really cannot tahan anymore.Usually it was only about 300km.A few tmes was even around 270-280KM only.

Previously when I had the trajet,within 6mths,battery not working....after that,sterring wheel shaking...twirling to the left side....brake pad got problem....then within a yr,aircon foul smell....even with agent warranty,I wasnt able to get it really fixed.

Thats why I m worried about getting it from PI.Although my current matrix doesnt seem to have any problem beside the battery changed last yr.

Korean cars usually give more troubles than European cars.

If you are determine to buy Toyota Wish, you can only buy from PI as Borneo do not bring them. So make sure you get from reputable PI.

Anyway, Wish is a good buy and economical too.

Other japanese cars like Nissan, Mazda also cannot be trusted.

Friend Cefiro new model 230 less than a year, gear box problem

Friend Mazda 6 2 years alternator break down

Trust Toyota and Honda, they are good and realiable.

rgds

• SRC Member

Every car comes with a manual that state the min petrol specification..(if i m not wrong) u can check out min RON for ur car performance. dun have to pump in too high RON if ur car still can perform with the min RON, coz now petrol price is high..help u save some $! :lol:

Just my 2cents ;)

• SRC Member

hey Jas, one of the most efficient cars u can get is the Honda Jazz 1.4. its reputed to go up to 23km/l!!!! :evil:

and my 1.5 civic on CVT gear and a VAFC allows me to clock around 700km on a full tank till light comes on.

do consider honda. :P

can go Kah Motor to squeeze freebies from the sales person. For PI, your biggest worry is the warranty. i think most of them have only 1 year warranty for their cars. :ph34r:

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

hey Jas, one of the most efficient cars u can get is the Honda Jazz 1.4. its reputed to go up to 23km/l!!!! :evil:

and my 1.5 civic on CVT gear and a VAFC allows me to clock around 700km on a full tank till light comes on.

do consider honda. :P

can go Kah Motor to squeeze freebies from the sales person. For PI, your biggest worry is the warranty. i think most of them have only 1 year warranty for their cars. :ph34r:

more weight more consumption....... ;)