strike a toyota corolla

guppy

• SRC Member

Another sick sales grimmick, received a letter yesterday that ive strike a Toyota Corolla or can exchange for cash, somemore got picture of one guy holding a big key standing beside a toyota corolla. Just need to call a toll nos and arrange for the collection date and time plus meeting. Me not so gullible to be con, just throw the letter into the dustbin. Somemore letter got bold words saying no grimmick, true. Where on earth got free thing drop from the sky. Just pity those who are swayed by the temptation of greed. It's man eat man society, long hand take to eat! Just be careful if you also rec'd such letter.

Another sick sales grimmick, received a letter yesterday that ive strike a Toyota Corolla or can exchange for cash, somemore got picture of one guy holding a big key standing beside a toyota corolla. Just need to call a toll nos and arrange for the collection date and time plus meeting. Me not so gullible to be con, just throw the letter into the dustbin. Somemore letter got bold words saying no grimmick, true. Where on earth got free thing drop from the sky. Just pity those who are swayed by the temptation of greed. It's man eat man society, long hand take to eat! Just be careful if you also rec'd such letter.

Bro,

next time dun wan, gimme leh... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Confirm Holiday Tour membership. They will call you up after a few day. They called up & I just chatted with them to see what gimmick they used nowadays. They are very well trained now, I shoot them 1001 questions, they have well prepared answer to all of them. I'm impressed! Now, they even dare to say that they are licensed by S'pore Totalister Board, Police CID for the lucky draw, etc. And challenged me to check. Also, the company is even listed on S'pore Tourism Board website. They also said things like 'will it make you feel better if I am to tell you not to bring a single cents or cheque book with you?'. But before they hung up, they will remind you to bring your credit card for verification. :)

Actually, it's not completely a 'con'. You just have to remember NOT to sign anything. You will definitely get something at the end of the 'high pressure selling session'. They will give you some vouchers, etc - it's their marketing cost. But don't take those stupid travel vouchers or gift vouchers. You will need to pay some administrative fees upfront first, which make it a complete bullshit. Make a scene & try to get a makan voucher of something. Last time, I got some $50 long beach cash voucher that is really valid & no minimum purchase. Spend 2 hours for $50, quite worth it lah.

I've seen ppl making a scene before the 'meeting' at the entrance, just to get the free gift without attending the session. Another way is to go down without your spouse, they won't go ahead without your spouse because ppl will make excuses that they need to check with their wife. Maybe, go & be nasty - bring a stop watch & put on the table while they talk, ask them how long is their presentation, when time's up, ask them for the gifts & leave.

It's actually quite an experience to sit through one of this session. But once is enough. Just remember, DON'T SIGN ANYTHING & PAY ANYTHING! Cut your credit card into 2 if you have too :P

• SRC Member

SHARED HOLIDAY ACCOMMODATION

Some years back, my wife and I were stopped by a young lady at Far East Plaza. She said she wanted to do a questionnaire survey which would take only a few minutes. Thinking that it was only a few short minutes we obliged. After the survey she gave us two lucky draw cards. She opened them for us and was very “excited”. She told us that my wife had won a free trip, with accommodation. I won a $50 voucher. However there was one condition : that we must attend a 45minutes talk in order to claim the free trip prize. We were thinking – "45 minutes and we would win a free trip. Why not?"

The lady took us to a building somewhere opposite Far East Plaza (cannot remember exactly where it was because of lots of twists and turns and we entered by a side entrance). When we reached an office upstairs there were already many people seated around tables listening to someone doing some kind of sale pitch or presentation. Another lady attend to us and she started to introduce to us some “Shared Holiday Accommodation”.

I had already reminded myself: “No matter what they offer I’ll say no!!!”. Instead of 45 minutes, the session lasted for more than 2hours and I was getting impatient. When the lady noticed my mood and knowing that she could not move me as I refused to sign anything or commit myself to anything, she told me to wait for a while and went into an office. A short while latter, she come out with her manager. This fella wa extremely polite. He told me that he could give me a “very special offer” because someone had withdrawn . I refused to budge and stuck to my “NO!” answer. Finally he gave up but I could see that his face changed colour. His smiles disappeared instantly, but I couldn’t be bothered. I then went outside to claim my prizes – the $50 voucher and the documents for the “free trip”. The face of the lady who issued us the prizes was also terrible – long and very black.

My shopping trip was spoilt by them. It was partly my own doing for being a bit “greedy” then. Anyway, I used the cash voucher to buy something from Far East Plaza. The “free trip was all bullshit because it was full of other conditions and restrictions. I threw it away.

Now I notice that there are still people at Orchard Rd doing the same thing – pestering people & bluffing them. For me it is “once beaten twice shy” – there is no way that I’ll get caught again.

As visor had said - "DON'T SIGN ANYTHING & PAY ANYTHING! Cut your credit card into 2 if you have too". Otherwise you will only live to regret.

• SRC Member

guppy,

scarli its a real real thing,you will be throwing your toyota corolla into the dustbin :D:D:D

True lah.In this kind of world.Where got free thing?I have received so many calls about winning a free vacation...never bother to go,even no matter how real they made it sounded like.

Some years back,one of the beauty salon (very famous,always on tv commercial with HK stars) sent a free slimming trial to me.I didnt bother to go so I gave it to a friend whom I confirmed she would only go for that trial and no money to sign up for the package.She went and before they attended to that FOC trail coupon.They tried to talk her into signing the package which costed over 6k.And when she insisted to try the treatment first,they told her to consider first since 1 treatment doesnt show anything.She told them she has to consult her husband.They actually locked her in that small room and tell her she can talk to her husband as much as she wants using the phone in the room... :unsure:

At the end,she had to call her husband to come down to 'save' her.

• SRC Member
guppy,

scarli its a real real thing,you will be throwing your toyota corolla into the dustbin :D:D:D

True lah.In this kind of world.Where got free thing?I have received so many calls about winning a free vacation...never bother to go,even no matter how real they made it sounded like.

Some years back,one of the beauty salon (very famous,always on tv commercial with HK stars) sent a free slimming trial to me.I didnt bother to go so I gave it to a friend whom I confirmed she would only go for that trial and no money to sign up for the package.She went and before they attended to that FOC trail coupon.They tried to talk her into signing the package which costed over 6k.And when she insisted to try the treatment first,they told her to consider first since 1 treatment doesnt show anything.She told them she has to consult her husband.They actually locked her in that small room and tell her she can talk to her husband as much as she wants using the phone in the room... :unsure:

At the end,she had to call her husband to come down to 'save' her.

i received 1 missed kal tat day.....then try to kal back the no.....the lady ask my name n immediately says i won a so kal free ###### treatment hehehe.....ask me to fix date for it.....then i say im busy cant tell her the date now.....so she says she wil kal back few dayz time...i say okie....b4 hung up she ask for my no.....hahaha guess wats next?? kena up side down frm me la....damn stupid lady kal ppl duno name then kal back duno tis guy frm wich no.......so DUMP tis lady.....

• SRC Member

So, i'm not only one got car, they also have telemarketing technic, ever also rec'd

call from them to fix appt to get present but must bring wife along, i told them that wife not free but they say die die must pull wife along if not no gift for me. Well sound fishy to me and told them that i forgo the gift. To me they knows that girls are easy prey than man thus no girls/wife no gift. From want i know every customer that they bring to their seminar they will get $50, they even can call a cab and bring you to the place. Every deal that go thru they (mostly part-timer)

will be reward with $700. If i'm jobless maybe i will also take up the job offer and go orchard rd hunting those customer who are wondering/walking and hoping something drop from the sky. :lol:

• SRC Member

To think of it, I dunno whether to feel sorry for those youngsters working for those companies, or get annoyed with them when they pester me at Orchard Rd (my favourite shopping haunt). They are hoping to earn some money, because many of them cannot find a permanent job, for various reasons. They boh pian die die also must get someone, otherwise they have no money. But I dunwun to be a "sucker". So I have to brush them off. Poor things!!

i always like to observe how they conduct their little tricks... kinda fun.

for example, those ppl on the street that came up to you, do a little survey & then ask you to scratch a lucky draw card - first they took a card from the top of the stack & give it to me. so I scratched it & was told I won a voucher. then they asked my wifey to try her luck too, with a sleight of hand, they told another card but this time from the bottom of the stack. after my wifey scratched it was told she won a few thousands dollar holiday trip! the guy that we met can really act, & was jumping up & down on the street saying that we are luckiest couple that day. told us to meet him at a hotel later... to shake them off just told them ok & forget about it. don't give them any tel number...

the latest toyota one try to entice & convince you with so many different reasons. first they say it's a prize presentation ceremony. John Dykes of ESPN will be there (for those into EPL should know who). The letter that you received should have his face in the photos. Well, actually I almost wanted to go just to chat with John. :) Then they say that you are in a special group that will win 4 of the top prices, you just have to go & match the number. Their computer already pre-selected you to win that. They will try to be as genuine as possible - the toyota is provided by borneo motor & you can collect yours from them if you win. Notice that 'you won' now became 'if you win'. The other top prizes supposed to be a 42" plasma tv, a notebook computer & a diamond watch. Seems very good isn't it if if I don't get the car.

when I probed further everything began to fall apart - noticed that in your letter you are supposed to pay some administrative/shipping charges to collect the prizes. So I ask why can't I just collect the 42" plasma from the local agent. They then told me that they have "to import the TV from overseas & it will takes 2-3 weeks". :) OK, never mind the TV. Then I ask what is the brand of the diamond watch valued at $5K. Guess what was the answer? :) "It's some swiss brand, I can't pronounce the name". :) :) :) That's the catch, you are most definitely going to win this swiss diamond watch with some unpronouncable name probably made in shenzhen, probably come with a certificate too.

i was so free that day, i actually chatted for half an hour. they always have an answer to all my questions. I think the telemarketeer was desperate to earn her $50 for each person who turn up. they even say things like "I will be there, if you don't win anything you can complain about me on the spot". to get them off the line, i just made an appointment for the next day. someone else called me 3 more times to confirm the appointment, guess must be the supervisor or something. They called it "courtesy call to reconfirm the appointment by the director". The last call was about 5 min after the appointment time, this time they were starting to lose their patience & was quite rude in demanding whether I will be there or not.

well, that was the story. I find it a fascinating industry, how persistent they are, & how well they covered up themselves with fineprints & loopholes here & there to avoid any legal problem. gotta apply it in some other businesses. :)

i'm sure you guys have plenty more stories... cheers :P