My common hermit crab ate my boxer!!

kraziworm83

• SRC Member

Hey all,

Just bought 1.5 inch boxer yesterday, when the boxer was in the tank he was v active. 30 mins later i saw my common hermit crab caught the boxer, i tried to rescue the boxer but too late. my common hermit is oso around 1.5 to 2 inch. V upset....

Any views?

• SRC Member

well hvnt had that experience btu my large hermits attack anything that they can get claws at. Hv released abt 10 of them back to sea where i caught them from originally... still hv abt 3 in my sump.... now i only keep sml sml tiny ones ... hv abt 30 of them very sml ones running ard happily in tank... onky safebig hermit i keeping are the reef-safe blue leg ones....

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
well hvnt had that experience btu my large hermits attack anything that they can get claws at. Hv released abt 10 of them back to sea where i caught them from originally... still hv abt 3 in my sump.... now i only keep sml sml tiny ones ... hv abt 30 of them very sml ones running ard happily in tank... onky safebig hermit i keeping are the reef-safe blue leg ones....

bro Dazza,

do blue-legged ones flip corals to look for food?

mine red-legged flip my corals, so gave it to another reefer.

• SRC Member

I missed a hint, those with hairy body is likely the non reef-safe. And their pincers sizing quite different.

I used to have one, until it tasted my new feather duster, off it go. It did a quite good job cleaning my sand bed though. Too bad :(