Clam and linckia

AREA51

• SRC Member

Help!!!

I've got myself a Crocea clam, and juz found my orange linckia seastar moving towards the mouth of the clam.

Is it gonna eat it?

have read that seastars can open their stomachs out to devour food.

anyone can help me on this?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

hi there area 51,

just my two cents. i think if youve identified your starfish correctly, that is, that it is an orange linkia, then you ought to have no worries ya- maybe just observe both more to see if anything is amiss? cause all the linkias are detrivores and have not been known to ever bother clams and are reefsafe. maybe your linkia is just foraging on your clam's shell for detritus/ bacteria/algae growth, etc.

i'm not sure if its henricia starfishes get imported here from canada or what, but those look very much like linkias and have orange colour morphs, but dont worry ya as i doubt thats what youve got. hopefully by time you read this, your starfish has gotten well acquainted with your crocea and none are worse off ya.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi there area 51,

just my two cents. i think if youve identified your starfish correctly, that is, that it is an orange linkia, then you ought to have no worries ya- maybe just observe both more to see if anything is amiss? cause all the linkias are detrivores and have not been known to ever bother clams and are reefsafe. maybe your linkia is just foraging on your clam's shell for detritus/ bacteria/algae growth, etc.

i'm not sure if its henricia starfishes get imported here from canada or what, but those look very much like linkias and have orange colour morphs, but dont worry ya as i doubt thats what youve got. hopefully by time you read this, your starfish has gotten well acquainted with your crocea and none are worse off ya.

cheers,

ian

hi bro iantoh, thx alot for your 2 cents :D

currently the linckia is on my front glass :P

will observe it closely whenever its near the crocea. If its stomach is out, i'll remove it ;)

btw...here's the pic of my linckia.

post-53-1125197041.jpg