Help to identify crab

cdckjn

• SRC Member

Found this in the live rock that I brought 2nd hand from another reefer who gave up his hobby. Plaese advise what is this? does it attacks cleaner shrimps because I bought one and the next mroning found the shrimp dead.

post-72-1125722402.jpg

• SRC Member
IMO, crabs are ticking time bombs in a reef aquarium. Best is: Don't get any for reef tanks

just my 2cents ;)

this crab is seen eating algae from the live rock - that is a good thing right? By the way the colour is greyish with the claws black. It uses the claws to pinch algae off and eats the algae. So should I throw it away? Right now it is in a plastic container floating in the tank.

• SRC Member

yes sml mud crabs very common in liverocks. My advice is get rid of them. They will try n attack fishes n shrimps if within range. I always try n catch these vbut not easy so will throw in piece n prawn meat into those sml empty drink btls n leave overnite. After capture feed them to my carpet anemones. Not to be confused with the purple clawed crabs found in same habitat as these. The purple ones so far only feed on alage on rocks. Even had one thats almost 1.5-2 ibnch big n it doesnt disturb my fishes or shrimps at all.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
yes sml mud crabs very common in liverocks. My advice is get rid of them. They will try n attack fishes n shrimps if within range. I always try n catch these vbut not easy so will throw in piece n prawn meat into those sml empty drink btls n leave overnite. After capture feed them to my carpet anemones. Not to be confused with the purple clawed crabs found in same habitat as these. The purple ones so far only feed on alage on rocks. Even had one thats almost 1.5-2 ibnch big n it doesnt disturb my fishes or shrimps at all.

To catch this little one (about 1 inch) I had to lift up and re-scape the rocks around twice in order to find and catch him. Regarding the throwing it away (I thought it is very cruel) - but because he eats algae SHOULD I keep it somewhere? (I do not have a sump) so that a problem for me. (I am not very clear????) :blink::blink:

• SRC Member

It looks like a really small red eye reef crab from my post.

Eyes green? Redish w/ black tip claw ???

Mean & bad ###### atitude ???

If you answer yes to all above Q....

It doesn't matter what it is. It has to go.

Don't throw away lah. Find 1 wkend & release it at the

nearest beach loh.

:D

• SRC Member
It looks like a really small red eye reef crab from my post.

Eyes green? Redish w/ black tip claw ???

Mean & bad ###### atitude ???

If you answer yes to all above Q....

It doesn't matter what it is. It has to go.

Don't throw away lah. Find 1 wkend & release it at the

nearest beach loh.

:D

Cannot see colour of eye though - too small for me to see.

Grey with black claws.

Attitude - don't know. very shy - always hides under the rock. :P

Okay will find somewhere to throw it.

Worse to teh worse - throw it in to my terrapin tank - give them some salty snack. hope it does not attack my terrapins. :lol::lol: