mixing cleaner shrimps

Kelmen

• SRC Member

I got 2 grown big skunk cleaner shrimps. Good and active.

And recently stocked in 2 small peppermints. Hardly see them, so far only can see 1 moving at night.

And I'm thinking to try fire shrimp. Heard from the LFS they saw it clean a fish mouth.

Since I only saw my skunk clean yellow tand and algae blenny body only, wonder maybe they need a "dentist" too.

So, for those bros keeping fire cleaner shrimps, do you ever spot them performing cleaning tasks? Are they working on the fish mouth too?

Will mixing this shrimps in 4' tank a bad idea? I always try put in 2 pieces of stocks (either pair or not, just tembak).

• SRC Member

Peppermint shrimps are known to hide. Blood shrimps like to hide too unless you put it a few of them, they might venture out into the open. Harequin & Marble shrimps also like to hide too.

Never like my skunk shrimp, coz when they get too big and too use to feeding they do nothing. Beware, if any of your fish is wounded it will pick on the wound and ends up killing your fish.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

I got 2 cleaner shimp....to date.... i only saw them once....that is the day i put them into the tank....off the reverse into the live rock and never ever seen again...

could have been KIV, WIA or dun know what IA.....

Waste my money.....never work......body never found.....

• SRC Member

got 3 cleaner shrimps. wil take target fed market prawns readily and venture out quite frequently. will only occasionally start their waving and attempt to clean the bigger fishes. esp tangs.

i also got 4 fire/blood shrimps, initally hide from view in the rocks. but have steadily tried to venture out into view. unlike the cleaner shrimps, it will not grab target fed food. not seen them do/attempt any cleaning. but love their clour scheme.

hope they can survive long.

• SRC Member

I kept 1 blood shrimp before and i've never seen it do any cleaning too. However, it is quite visible in the tank, hides much less than i expected and will fight with my skunk cleaners for food.

But after 1 month, it died for no reason... blood shrimps are probably one of the most delicate shrimps around.

My Fireshrimp is very bold. Always venturing out into the open. :o

Always see it hang out around my eel's mouth, cleaning the inside!

My fav shrimp, Fireshrimp though i never had any Skunk Cleaners before.

Hope 2 get skunks cleaners soon! As for Fire Shrimp, their crimson red is

totally awesome. . .the star of my tank. Ppl when see it always say "Wah so ang one your lobster" :rolleyes:

Fire shrimp are more shy compared to other Lysmata species I observed. However they are stated to be more aggressive towards their own species compared to the others. Don't go more than a pair of fire shrimp or you will notice the rest being bullied all the time. Even separate pairs might exhibit some aggression towards each other.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Had really bad experience with fire shrimps.

Last week i got 2 new fire shrimps, after acclimating via drip method for over an hour, i released them into the tank... within 2 hours, both the shrimps were dead. :erm:

Hmm..maybe 1 hr acclimatization is too short if the salinity gap is large. I recently purchased a pair of boxing shrimp..the salinity was 25 ppt. :blink: So I brought it up to 35 ppt over 5 hrs. Now the couple is happy.. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/