cost under-cutting and equipment pirates

weileong

There's such a reefer running around in SRC.

When he knows that another reefer going to buy new equipment, he will go PM the other guy asking to know how much the other guy is quoted for the new equipment and he will go undercut and sell at lower price.

Worst, he will quote other people's name and review so that pple will think he has the support from other reefers.

Not only that, he go around copying the equipment that other pple has design and claiming that his one is better etc.

He also go around bugging pple for this info and that info, sometimes really bug till pple cannot stand it.

I am very sick of all these already, just for that few cents why do till this extend?

BTW I am not the only person that kanna this, just that I voice out only, so if you are reading this and you are still not aware then please wake up!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
There's such a reefer running around in SRC.

When he knows that another reefer going to buy new equipment, he will go PM the other guy asking to know how much the other guy is quoted for the new equipment and he will go undercut and sell at lower price.

Worst, he will quote other people's name and review so that pple will think he has the support from other reefers.

Not only that, he go around copying the equipment that other pple has design and claiming that his one is better etc.

He also go around bugging pple for this info and that info, sometimes really bug till pple cannot stand it.

I am very sick of all these already, just for that few cents why do till this extend?

BTW I am not the only person that kanna this, just that I voice out only, so if you are reading this and you are still not aware then please wake up!!!

:huh:

Have meh? I didnt know any. Pls enlighten me leh.

:lol:

He's been selling the artica chiller for around 18months already.

I admit I start this thread because I feel very TL, everyime PM me ask me for info on my equipments and the purpose is to dig info so he can go DIY his own product them claiming that it is better than this and that equipment.

I also know that when he go reefer's place, he spend more time looking at the equipment than the tank itself.

When he goes to AT's place, he brings along his uncle who owns a plastic factory, he spend more time in his fishroom, looking at all his equipment and thinking how to copy them.

I already made myself clear, reefers who wants to knows more can always approach me. DIY for own use or whatsoever but certainly not for the purpose of trying to DIY something then selling it for profits. However he still keep pestering me every now and then.

Do you need me to quote examples? We had quite a few cases.

• SRC Member

Maybe he can DIY a clone of Arctica chiller, selling me at a lower price and yet allow me to use 3 months b4 I commit on the purchase. Must make use it works like an Arctica mah.

I'll then write 3 full page of good reviews. Although my writing skill not very good, but nvm lah, can get my secretary to write for me.. :lol:

oh ya hor now you remind me. Why he likes to DIY so much then claims his DIY stuffs are so much better than the rest?

Why no DIY artica clone? Maybe that chiller draws only 200W and can chill down 2000 litres tank running 5x1000W MH. Oh ya, you dunno he says that MH won't heat up the tank one? Hmm.... in "the other forum" got pple running 1000W MH too with luminarc type reflector but no one complain got heating issues also hor.

• SRC Member
He's been selling the artica chiller for around 18months already.

I admit I start this thread because I feel very TL, everyime PM me ask me for info on my equipments and the purpose is to dig info so he can go DIY his own product them claiming that it is better than this and that equipment.

I also know that when he go reefer's place, he spend more time looking at the equipment than the tank itself.

When he goes to AT's place, he brings along his uncle who owns a plastic factory, he spend more time in his fishroom, looking at all his equipment and thinking how to copy them.

I already made myself clear, reefers who wants to knows more can always approach me. DIY for own use or whatsoever but certainly not for the purpose of trying to DIY something then selling it for profits. However he still keep pestering me every now and then.

Hi weileong, before it gets any more complicated here.I shall clarify this once and for all.Your post is clearly directed at me.

He's been selling the artica chiller for around 18months already.Yes i do have the lobang..And by all means i never had the intentions of undercutting(undercutting only means spoiling the market and stepping on your own feet)..When One reefer recently changed his reflector to local diy LA3.I was surprised that it could actually heat up the water so much.I have no experience in that as i'm not a user.So out of curiousity to double confirm that i smsed the person.He was so pissed off and said the best help would be a cheaper chiller as he might need to upgrade his chiller which had difficulty chilling his tank.Judging the amount needed to spent on changing reflectors,mh bulbs and ballast i knew its already a hefty sum before adding the possible amount of money to be spent on a new chiller,i do feel his pain and share the same point of view that money wasn't easy earned.So i tried offering a best possible realistic price and offered to help fix it up out of plain goodwill but somehow people just tend to misunderstand my intentions thinking that i die die must unercut to sell to earn some cents??And to that someone who has been misunderstanding my intentions of trying to help him out...if you still don't understand my goodwill intentions then forget it...Disclaimer*So far i did not sell any chiller here in src,except to one reefer who asked me to diy his lights for him.As i have told AT, i'm not doing commercial sales already.If you see me posting stuff in pasar malam thread.Items i put on sale are almost at cost price as i'm clearing whatever i have left.

Yes I'm diying some of my equipment.But not everything is diyable as hotlemond has stated.I'm just trying to save money to spend on other costly equipment as my pocket is not deep.Not everyone has deep pockets like you .I admit i'm the person who has been pming you to ask questions on your deltec calcium reactor and other reefers who has experience using it or any CR related issues.I have no intentions of making CR or Skimmers for a profit.If i did wanted to i would have done it long ago.So it's clear and transparent that i do have the intentions to diy a big calcium reactor for my own usage.A deltec CR of that size is beyond my spending capability.But looking at the deltec CR old model,who took 2 to 3 hours just to fill it up spoonful by spoonful?Can the Cr be opened up to do maintenance thou its claimed not need to maintain besides topping up media?Someone who bought the new range of Deltec Cr complained that the twist and turn feature leaks.I would'nt want to risk spending so much money and find that there are side issues that needs to be taken care of.So the best option is to diy and come up with a solid workable design that is user friendly.Not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford changing equipment after finding it not up to expectation.

This is something which had been circulating for a long long time.Whoever that made this statement i really kudos to you for having such a fantastic imagination.Firstly, i do not have any uncle that owns a plastic factory!In fact i buy my plastic materials from dama.Those who know me has seen me there.Secondly, i did paid AT a visit during his tank warming and i did spent a lot of time looking at his equipment at the back because i wanted to do something similar(In wall tank) and was trying to figure out how the equipments work to support a reef.Through the pictures posted online i could not put the whole picture together how the system is put together.I was still a newbie at that point of time, so it took me some time to figure how some equipment works.AT's tank is definately fantastic.But it's the system that is vital that supports the colorful reef.What's the point of spending alot of money on corals but having a system that cannot sustain them?At's past reef is definately a TOTM material that truely inspired me to create something similar.

Bro weileong if you feel that i'm pestering you then just reply me and tell me straight.I will post my questions in other forums to look for the answers that i need.I do not have any hidden agenda behind my questions.Just trying to find the best way to operate a calcium reactor with the right flow, right bubble rates and right media and right design to achieve a good calcium reading,dkh and ph.I do not wish to the have a cr with multiple hang ons or undersized/leaky/noisy pump or design flaw which you know what it is clearly as you are a past user.

*Comments on CR are based on my own judgements and by all means its not directed at any brand or whatsoever.If i offended anyone i apologize :bow:

I'm admitting i'm one of them.I'm now only a genuine marine hobbist trying to learn more about reefkeeping.If you are still cannot accept that and still have the mindset that i'm trying to make money for every question i asked there isn't more for me to say here.Its either i am welcomed here or i'm being bad mouthed.To all those whom i offended, i apologize.I'm just trying to support a reef that has been planned for a long long time and i somehow got blinded and was'nt too righteous on my actions.But most of the money went back to setting up the reef tank.

I hope this post clears up all the misunderstandings.

:peace:

Okie, you speak your mind and gave your explanation, I do not question them.

I don't give unfounded accusation. I leave it to the rest to see for themselves.

Why did I say you go around trying to sell artica chillers?

About 18 months ago, I just got my artica chiller and I gave some inital reviews and partly because of that some reefers were interested in the chiller. You contacted them privately and quote my review/post. Because of that some people had the wrong idea I was working as a partner with you and my reviews were bias due to the commerical interest I had. I kept quiet then despite some reefers who contact me privately to verify. I had to explained that I had nothing to do with you. Why was my name/post/review quoted in order to sell your product w/o my permission?

If you have genuine interest to help the "poor" guy who had just spend a mini fortune on upgrading his lights then you can offer him the chiller at your cost price. Why is there a need to find out how much the other guy is selling? Like you said, your intention is not to undercut him but by your actions that is already under-cutting. This is how sales people undercut each other FYI.

As I said, I do not blame anyone for trying to save cost by DIYing their own equipments, I do not have any rights to do so and I certainly would be more than happy to answer anyone's question.

But for you with previous records of DIYing products and selling for a profit, I always have the impression you are copying and copying.

How about the TUBBY case and the Coral Lab first generation Kalk Reactor? Too many case :P

As for PM, I already replied via PM that I do not entertain PM that has commerical interest or with intention to copy products. Therefore I see your PM and post with those intention so I do not reply to them.

I'm just trying to support a reef that has been planned for a long long time and i somehow got blinded and was'nt too righteous on my actions.But most of the money went back to setting up the reef tank.

So at the end of the day you did sell and make some profit?

You trying to say you don't PM pple trying to sell things anymore??

• SRC Member

I don't give unfounded accusation. I leave it to the rest to see for themselves.

About 18 months ago, I just got my artica chiller and I gave some inital reviews and partly because of that some reefers were interested in the chiller. You contacted them privately and quote my review/post. As such some people had the wrong idea I was working as a partner with you and my reviews were bias due to the commerical interest I had. I just keep quiet at that time despite some reefers who contact me privately to verify. I had to explained that I had nothing to do with you. Why did hyou quote my name in order to sell your product w/o my permission?

If you have genuine interest to help the "poor" guy who had just spend a mini fortune on upgrading his lights then you can offer him the chiller at your cost price. Why is no need to find out how much the other guy is selling? Like you said, your intention is not to undercut him but by your actions that is already under-cutting. This is how sales people undercut each other FYI.

As I said, I do not blame anyone for trying to save cost by DIYing their own equipments, I do not have any rights to do so and I certainly would be more than happy to answer anyone's question.

But for you with previous records of DIYing products and selling for a profit, I always have the impression you are copying and copying.

How about the TUBBY case and the Coral Lab first generation Kalk Reactor? Too many case :P

As for PM, I already replied via PM that I do not entertain PM that has commerical interest or with intention to copy products. Therefore I see your PM and post with those intention so I do not reply to them.

About 18 months ago, I just got my artica chiller and I gave some inital reviews and partly because of that some reefers were interested in the chiller. You contacted them privately and quote my review/post. As such some people had the wrong idea I was working as a partner with you and my reviews were bias due to the commerical interest I had. I just keep quiet at that time despite some reefers who contact me privately to verify. I had to explained that I had nothing to do with you. Why did hyou quote my name in order to sell your product w/o my permission?

I didnt quote your name to gain any link.No idea who added salt and pepper again

If you have genuine interest to help the "poor" guy who had just spend a mini fortune on upgrading his lights then you can offer him the chiller at your cost price. Why is no need to find out how much the other guy is selling? Like you said, your intention is not to undercut him but by your actions that is already under-cutting. This is how sales people undercut each other FYI.

Out of touch with the market as i had not been doing commercial sales for quite some time.

Tubby clones are a past.But exact diagram designs of auto top up systems are available on the net.Regarding the kalkreactor i tried diying it after seeing planetg posting it in pasar malam thread to see how well it works to experiment.That is the one and ony one unit ever made.I did not know that was made by coral labs and neither do i know that that particular design was being sold in the market at that point of time,believe it or not.

I'm just trying to support a reef that has been planned for a long long time and i somehow got blinded and was'nt too righteous on my actions.But most of the money went back to setting up the reef tank.

Used to......

Bsides the chiller being a brand new item rest are used equipment.

Conclusion:

You PM pple trying to sell artica chillers with profit making as your objective and under-cutting other pple as your sales tatic. You also admitted you sell things and make profit

That is sufficient and the objective of this thread has been achieved.