Dottyback in my reef tank

cyclop

• SRC Member

I introduced a dottyback into my reef tank a few months ago because of the proliferation of crabs, worms, etc. It did a marvelous of "hunt and kill" among the life rocks as I often found empty crab shells. Now I do not see a single crab around and am pretty sure most of the worms are gone too. I am wondering whether that is good for the reef system as a whole.

Now that the dottyback has accomplished it's mission what do I do with it - take it out and put it in another tank?

• SRC Member

your is a bi colour or orchid? I got one orchid with the intention of getting rid of my crab too but it does nothing just swimming around looking pretty. It dont disturb my coral and fish and it is quite a small fish. It looks nice in my tank because my tank lacks purple colour. Dont think I will cause major upset in your setup though.

just my 5 cents, cheers

zehuan

• SRC Member

Not too sure of it's name but it's not the colourful type (something like the Red Spotted Pseudochromis in the attached pic, but redish brown). Its' about 1.5ins long and looks fierce.

When I first introduced it into my tank, it scoured the rocks to look for food and it's stomach always looked fat and filled. Then slowly the crabs disappeared. No way I can keep shrimps now. My lyretail anthias which tried to harrass it was badly injured and died instead. Otherwise, had not really killed other fish.

My concern is that there are no more scavengers left in the tank to pick up left over food. That's why I was worried whether it's good for the reef system.

• SRC Member
Do you have cleaner or boxer shrimp.

If you do,did the nottyback eat them as well?

Is it active at night?

Dottybacks are aggressive fishes. they are carnivores and love eating shrimps and other crustaceans. When crabs can be wiped out by them no shrimps will ever survive. They are very active and alert all the time - searching the rocks for food

Brittle worms may pick on the left-over food.

But beware.. Dottybacks are quite aggressive little fishes. They may disturb other small fishes e.g. fire gobies etc.

I think the bristle worms also disappeared. They are aggressive especially to those other fishes that look like them

Bro, if u dont want can sell me? pm me price and location. I really got crab pro.

thanks

Sorry zehuan, too attached to it to part with it. Besides, it is hard to catch it from the tank as its always very alert and hides among the rocks. You can purchase them from most LFFs. i got mine from iwarna.