Algae in captive reefs

blueheaven

• SRC Member

Guys let's not wack him... maybe he try to think having algae is not a big harm and you do see some reefer here agree to his point.....

But just on my point of view..

well algae depend on which type..

there are those pest algae which everyone of us want to get rid, and having thoese pest algae no way you can come talk about low nutrients. Cause this only mean your tank is still containing some nutrients.

And of coz there are some other type of algae which is the good one that suvive best in good water param.

But I think mostly depend on the type of tank you are keeping. If you are keeping sps, I think all these pest algae will only mean your tank is not up to the level of having low nutrients. And we should work hard to drive it down.

But if you are LPS tank, I think no harm having some nutrients cause we all know LPS need some nutrients to survive.

Take a look at this Jap tank even it have some algae which he treated it as a plant, but it still look nice. Cause the idea is a softie, LPS and plant tank and the algae is also keep under control.

post-7-1129429593.jpg

If you don't have your own opinion then how are you going to have a discussion?

You seems to imply that letting algae grow in your tank up to the extend of what you currently in your tank is fine? Or am I reading it wrongly? pls clarify.

Yes he said small patches but how small? Maybe small patches end become a big patch lol.

Haha my opinion is the first post :lol:

Yeah in a sense, I think the current algal growth in my tank is fine

In fact, I do hope it'll continue to grow (which it doesn't) :lol:

To deviate a bit (pardon me), algae do not grow suddenly in my reef. It is when I removed my sandbed that the large amount of detritus caused a massive bloom which had ceased growth now. And added that I do not have a clean up crew except for some tangs, the algae wouldn't go away :lol:

Ok, back to the topic, I do know of some SPS reefers who deliberately grow turf algae in their main tanks solely for nutritional purposes.

And I do believe, as I have mentoned in my first post, that algae is a great source of energy for the reef, not only for the herbivores but all the way down to the saprophytic organisms :P

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif