Portable Photo Storage

dradttg

• SRC Member

Dear all,

I am thinking of buying a portable photo storage. It is those that allows you to transfer your photos from Compact Flash to a harddisk.

I have thought of buying iPod photo but found it too expensive. At the end of the day still have to buy another assessories for reading the Compact Flash card.

I have seen 2 types in Sim Lim, one can read diff card type (CF, SD, etc) but is extremely bulky. Another reads compact flash card only.

Anyone of you using any of devices? Any good recommendations?

• SRC Member

How about this?

I'm thinking of purchasing it.... the price is very attractive. Seen some second hand sets(other brands) sold at Clubsnap which are much more expensive than this.

A 40gb harddisk will cost about $114. So total will be about $170..

• SRC Member
Check out the brand Consus. Got one can output to TV.

If got more $$$, can look at Creative Zen Video.

Hi Keith,

Cannot find Consus leh. Can only find the god. :P

After my experience with the Zen Micro, I have decided to give Creative a miss. :(

• SRC Member
How about this?

I'm thinking of purchasing it.... the price is very attractive. Seen some second hand sets(other brands) sold at Clubsnap which are much more expensive than this.

A 40gb harddisk will cost about $114. So total will be about $170..

Bro Ekia,

That looks like a nice deal.

• SRC Member
Yah.... but wondering why people are paying so much in Clubsnap for a similar product. They are paying in the region of $300+ for a new one and $200+ for a second hand with 20gb harddisk.

Those at Sim Lim are $200+ for the casing alone. That's why this one is extremely cheap.

I think I am willing to take the risk trying it out since it is only 50+ and the HDD can be reused.

• SRC Member

if you don't need it all the time then rent it.. there are a lot of people renting it on clubsnap... price quite reasonable too..

For eg. me and 3 other friends going cambodia end of year... renting one 40gb drive... split amongst 4 of us each person 5-8 bucks only... cheap!

• SRC Member
if you don't need it all the time then rent it.. there are a lot of people renting it on clubsnap... price quite reasonable too..

For eg. me and 3 other friends going cambodia end of year... renting one 40gb drive... split amongst 4 of us each person 5-8 bucks only... cheap!

How much is the rental? If its more than $20-30 for the whole trip, I would rather pay $56 for the casing.. with 6 months warranty. Harddisk can be reused in any normal portable casing...

• SRC Member

How much is the rental? If its more than $20-30 for the whole trip, I would rather pay $56 for the casing.. with 6 months warranty. Harddisk can be reused in any normal portable casing...

depends how long u go loh... some more I sharing with 3 other friends so it's dirt cheap...

got $56 for casing so cheap one meh?? U mean the 2nd hand one issit?

• SRC Member

depends how long u go loh... some more I sharing with 3 other friends so it's dirt cheap...

got $56 for casing so cheap one meh?? U mean the 2nd hand one issit?

First hand. You go and see Bro Ekia's earlier post. $56 for casing.

• SRC Member

Yes I have bought it. Inclusive of a Hitachi 40 GB HDD, the price is $170. I really like the casing, it is small and light.

The only thing to take note of is that the HDD must be formated in FAT32. However, Win XP will not format in FAT32 for partition that are greater than 20 GB. I had to partition my HDD to 2 20 GB partitions to solve the problem.

• SRC Member
Yes I have bought it. Inclusive of a Hitachi 40 GB HDD, the price is $170. I really like the casing, it is small and light.

The only thing to take note of is that the HDD must be formated in FAT32. However, Win XP will not format in FAT32 for partition that are greater than 20 GB. I had to partition my HDD to 2 20 GB partitions to solve the problem.

hm will the partitioning cause it to store data only in 1 partition?

• SRC Member
Hm.. don know of any website leh..

Anyway mine has a small problem, when I screw in all the 4 screws it's a little tight, so much so that I the HD cannot function properly.. so the workaround was to screw in only 2 of the 4 screws...

shrug..

The casing will automatically write to the next partition when the first one is full.

I dont have the problem of tightening the screw. I think you should be the set back for exchange. Dennis is quite a nice guy.

• SRC Member

The casing will automatically write to the next partition when the first one is full.

I dont have the problem of tightening the screw. I think you should be the set back for exchange. Dennis is quite a nice guy.

it works perfectly now actually.. just with 2 screws taken out... I think my HD is slightly thicker? so when the casing is put together the padding causes the HD to be too tightly squashed..

Is yours a little difficult to put together after ur HD is in?

Also I managed to format 30Gs in FAT32 leh...

• SRC Member

it works perfectly now actually.. just with 2 screws taken out... I think my HD is slightly thicker? so when the casing is put together the padding causes the HD to be too tightly squashed..

Is yours a little difficult to put together after ur HD is in?

Also I managed to format 30Gs in FAT32 leh...

Mine is ok. I think it could be the position of the black padding. Well, as long as it does not drop out, it should be fine. :P