Skimmer location

brittlestars

• SRC Member

I'm planning for my next 4X2X2 FOWLR tank based on Berlin system without chiller.

Personally, I prefer the idea of out-sump as this frees up space in my sump for other purposes. Also, I know the main adv for out-sump is the heat reduction (since pump not in sump) but there are spillage risks.

Assuming, footprint and height are not major constraints in my cabinet, what do you guys recommend the location of my protein skimmer, ie. in-sump or out-sump? What are the main pros/cons for each?

Also, what models/brands do you recommend for a budget of $400 or less? Actually, the more I read about skimmers, the more I wanna pull my hair out... so many considerations!!! :)

• SRC Member

Design a good sump with good spacing, house a good skimmer (with high efficiency and low watts) in-sump.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

In a well designed sump (water treatment "plant"), you will have various compartments for specific functions. So the straight forward idea and the natural thing would be to house whatever equipment doing a specific task in there (rather than to divert some pipes with pumps and all, all over the place which will become messy).

1st advantage - less messy, if containment is all within a well-designed sump.

2nd advantage - should there be any leakage (in equipments and all) it will be contained within the sump.

3rd advantage - Some equipments that will be house in-sump need no feed pumps and all whereby it will save on pumps running cost, cost of pumps, heat from pumps.

4th advantage - simplicity is a key to a straight forward success.

5th advantage - containment within the sump saves additional space needed by outsump equipments.

The list goes on...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
In a well designed sump (water treatment "plant"), you will have various compartments for specific functions.  So the straight forward idea and the natural thing would be to house whatever equipment doing a specific task in there (rather than to divert some pipes with pumps and all, all over the place which will become messy).

1st advantage - less messy, if containment is all within a well-designed sump.

2nd advantage - should there be any leakage (in equipments and all) it will be contained within the sump.

3rd advantage - Some equipments that will be house in-sump need no feed pumps and all whereby it will save on pumps running cost, cost of pumps, heat from pumps.

4th advantage - simplicity is a key to a straight forward success.

5th advantage - containment within the sump saves additional space needed by outsump equipments.

The list goes on...

Wow, I didn't realise so many benefits for keeping skimmer in-sump.

Thanks again Melvyn Tan!