Fish must be feed daily

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Just curious, I wonder how you guys feed those slow eater fish?

feed them slowly lor .... hehehe ;):P

but honestly, interesting question. :bow:

the way i do it is to put in sufficient for all so that there would be remnants left for the slower ones. disperse the food over a wide area would also help.

• SRC Member
Just curious, I wonder how you guys feed those slow eater fish?

I target-feed the slow eaters..

What i do is to put the food (usually prawn meat) at the tip of a long chopstick. Prawn meat when defrosted is naturally sticky, so it won't fall off the tip of the chopstick. I then insert the chopstick within a long hollow tube. After which, i'll put the whole apparatus into the water, with the food end at where the slow-eating fish is, and wait for the slow-eater to get the food.

If the fast fishes swims over and tries to get the food, i'll quickly withdraw the chopstick (with the food still at the tip) into the tube, so the fast fish can't get the food. After the fast fish swims away, i'll stick out the tip of the chopstick (with the food on it) from the tube again for the slow fish to eat.

Hope i didn't confuse everyone with my poor description.. :P

...but i find this method really effective. Abit more time consuming, but i find it helps to avoid overfeeding the fast fishes while ensuring the slow ones get their share.

Depends on the fish you are keeping. Some fish have higher metabolism than others. For instance, anthias need to have a constant supply of food. Feeding every 2-3 days will most probably have them end up dead sooner or later. Fishes with lower metabolism should not be fed that often. Such fish include lionfish and other ambush predators. Good measure to feed only about once a week. Feeding 3-4 times a week or even daily will just make them die faster.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Depends on the fish you are keeping. Some fish have higher metabolism than others. For instance, anthias need to have a constant supply of food. Feeding every 2-3 days will most probably have them end up dead sooner or later. Fishes with lower metabolism should not be fed that often. Such fish include lionfish and other ambush predators. Good measure to feed only about once a week. Feeding 3-4 times a week or even daily will just make them die faster.

Hmm.. how about wrasses, clowns, tangs and angels? I feed them everyday cos they seem to be very active fellas. Or can they be fed every alternate day?