Fishes scratching = Ich??

• SRC Member

I got a small red coris wrasse about 8 days ago and it was ok till these 2 days, when i noticed that it started to scratch against the LR and sandbed about every 5min or so. There was otherwise no white spots on its body and it was active and eating hungrily as usual.

I keep it in a FOWLR with a yellow tang and a juvenile emporer angel, both of which appear very healthy and do not have this scratching behaviour or white spots.

So i'm wondering: Does scratching = Ich? Or is there any other explanation to the behaviour? Anyone has any experience with this before? :(

• SRC Member

It is certainly a symtom of parasite. But do not have to be overly alarm for now. Monitor for ich if possible and takes actions then. It is still better if you QT you fish first.

Most new fishes will scratch in my QT. Some will not scratch after a while... Some just develope ich, like my long gone blue tang, where it scratch and ich appears....

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

It turned out to be ich... :(

Woke up this morning to find the red coris wrasse dead, and white spots all over the fins of the emperor angel. Thankfully the emperor still eating.. I fed it its usual seafood mixed with garlic, and also lowered the S.G. to 1.013... hopefully it will survive the attack..