Maxijet Mod

tayhonglee

• SRC Member

its not difficult to do actually. just follow the steps and refer to the pictures, plus a bit of sawing and cursing and bleeding.... :P

only tricky part was to get the proper sized carbon fibre rods and propellors.

carbon fibre rod together with original stainless steel shaft

post-9-1137830397.jpg

• SRC Member

and finally, the housing.

its not difficult to drill the holes if you use a smaller drill bit first before moving on to a bigger sized bit.

the dark gray band on the bottom is actually cut from another pipe with larger internal diameter and superglued onto the 1.5" pvc pipe, since the 1.5" pvc pipe is slightly too small to fit the maxijet holder.

not sure why, maybe the pipes are different in usa.

post-9-1137830806.jpg

• SRC Member

hi copperband,

actually, i posted the end product here without testing for efficiency. main reason is because im in the process of making a new tank, and my old tank (1.5ft cube) is much to small to test something like this.

it works great in my wash basin though....hehehe

anyway, i had some problems looking for a 1.25" propellor. ended up getting 1" & 1.5".

i then made another housing that can fit the 1.5" propellor. but the maxijet 400 seems to have some problems spinning the blade. i need to test it more in order to determine if its not powerful enough or if the diy housing is faulty.

post-9-1137831261.jpg

• SRC Member

i bought the carbon fibre rod and propellors from a hobby/motorcycle shop at kelantan lane.

address is 29 Kelantan Lane Singapore 208648 Tel : 6297 0656

1.5" pvc pipes can be bought from almost any hardware shops.

let me know if you have any questions. i will try to help if i can.

• SRC Member

hi there bro! any chance you are planning on making some more modified maxijet sets in the future? id love to join in and make some with you, but will probably need some guidance to do it as i already spoiled one seio trying to modify it. or perhaps you could mod them and put them for sale man!

cool work.

• SRC Member

hi ian,

i won't be diying any for sale. it looks ok in the photos, but fugly in real life....:P

anyway, its really not difficult to modify. if you like, i can walk you through the items and steps during a free weekend.

but you're buying kopi though :lol:

on a different note, i need some help from all fellow reefers here to look out for test caps. i can't find any for 1.5" pvc pipings. if we manage to get some, it'll be a lot easier to modify these things.

look like this (shamelessly taken off BullDZR thread on rc)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=611354

post-9-1137856824.jpg

• SRC Member

hahaha.. hi bro taylonghee,

you can try the large cylindrical container of m & ms or smarties as they cap for those containers will resemble the test cap, and i shant be surprised if you find one of an appropriate size. :P anyhows, shall keep a look out for test caps for you.

as for the mods, thanks for the reply. ya i know it'll be fugly, as ive been following the RC thread too, but the one with Black PVC pipe front looks not too bad. wish they made seios in smaller sizes, then i could have more of the small ones, rather than one big black box thing in my tank.

great effort with the mod!

• SRC Member

wow!! where did you get that grey pvc pipe from? the cutting looks great man. i didn't bother with the small pipe. just used a whole length of hard neoprene air tube. i believe they used rigid air pipes in rc...

i noticed that you havent cut the grooves on the pvc where the holders of the maxijet must sit. i used something like this and it made the job a lot easier. a little dusty though

mark out the area and just file it down to size. looks real neat too.

dreamscape, im not sure about the flow rate. but i think someone measured it on rc before using a twin prop maxijet 600, and the flow rate was around 1200gph.

i will try to find the link.

henry

post-9-1138234486.jpg