Mussels

chums

Has anyone kept mussels in their tank?? I have kept a clump of baby mussels in my tank for about 3 months and they seem to be rather hardy and survive pretty well. :D

Do you think we can use a clump of mussels to cycle the tank?? Maybe they can aid in the filtering too !! :idea:

• SRC Member
Has anyone kept mussels in their tank?? I have kept a clump of baby mussels in my tank for about 3 months and they seem to be rather hardy and survive pretty well. :D

Do you think we can use a clump of mussels to cycle the tank?? Maybe they can aid in the filtering too !! :idea:

Do you really know what Cycling is exactly?

Nothing else except LRs and Sand should be in the tank prior to finish of cycle.

What for you need biological filteration when cycling?

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Do you really know what Cycling is exactly?

Nothing else except LRs and Sand should be in the tank prior to finish of cycle.

What for you need biological filteration when cycling?

Hi MuarChee,

I am still a newbie and what I know bout cycling is what I have read from other forumers here....still trying to learn :lol:

It seems other than sand and live rock, some use dead prawns and some add in a damsel when cycling the tank so I was thinking why not mussels too :angel: wasn't trying to teach anyone or advocating other 's add mussels too ... just wondering if it would work like the dead prawn. :erm:

Cheers :D

• SRC Member

ok. i might be abit too harsh.

First of all, from all you read about using damsel for cycling. That one is negative demostration.

The thing about adding the prawn is because you want something to decay to start NNO cycle.

By adding mussels, probably you can do that too. You add in good mussels to rot and die. Abit of waste money, don't you think? Add in market prawn, might be cheaper.

As for damsels, that is torture. And unforunately, those poor buggers always manage to survive.

Hope that clears the picture.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.