Droppy Tree

juscool

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I dont know the name for it. But I just bought a soft coral that looks like a tree with cauliflowers.. :)

Overnight, its has became droppy...I thought maybe it requires stronger flow of current, so I moved it down to the sand bed.

Any ideas how to imrprove the health of this coral? Does it require more light?

Cheers

Yup.. its does looks like a cauli.

First of all, cauli are basically quite soft and don't stand up well. Naturally most cauli are found hanging upside down or hanging side ways, and a consistant flow of current.

I also place my cauli on the sandbed, with a very good current and not directly in the light. Feeding it lots of plankton also helps. They grow very fast and take roots to any hole or crevice within days.

The above is just my personal experience. :D

Below is part of my cauli garden.

post-71-1140019429.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks Augustine,

You mean it relocates itself? Yeah I think you are right about them growing fast. Cos it looks longer than when I got it a week ago..

But was I find extremely interesting is that sometimes it goes completely limp , flacid if I might describe it..almost like its asleep...this is normal behaviour?

Or is it because it is stressed from water conditions etc

• SRC Member

once a while i noticed my cauliflowers do go limp for a few hrs but very soon will re-erect themselves... so no woris lah... (who can stay erected all the time rite :P ) I feed phyto & oso dose iodide ... n find they r ok in terms of maintenance stds for corals.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Thanks Augustine,

You mean it relocates itself? Yeah I think you are right about them growing fast. Cos it looks longer than when I got it a week ago..

But was I find extremely interesting is that sometimes it goes completely limp , flacid if I might describe it..almost like its asleep...this is normal behaviour?

Or is it because it is stressed from water conditions etc

Yes .. its totally normal for them to shrink.... mine tend to shrink to a small pulp (kinda like dead liao) for different periods of the day and then erect again when you least expects it.

This is one of the reasons why a lot of reefers don't like this coral.

I've got at least 6 different colors of cauli in my tank and they erect and shrink at different timing of the day.

They don't move on their own, but rather they grow new extensions sideways. Easy to frag too. just cut the new extensions replant them into small holes or crevices and they'll grow from there.

;)