Modified 24g NC in the making

jervismun

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oxnviolet: Thanks for the advise, I will surely empty the cup since it is in such an obvious position. All I worry now is algae growing inside the cup since it is so near to the MH. The cup is kinda large anyway.

The ReefPack 500 also allow surface skimming. 50% of the water intake actually enters from the surface :D

Gonna add another gadget into the tank tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted.

Good night all :peace:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

cool equipments from tunze but just 1 grouse... takes up precious space in the tank.

nice LR but you may have to cut back when u start to add coral.

most mushies n zoos are already attached to LR so i'm afraid the tank may get too cramp.

your tank will be way solid when it's loaded with LS. :)

Elimmel: Agree with you, totally. The ReefPack is larger than I've anticipated (one thing about shopping through the net). Yeah the rocks were pushed too close to the front, making the tank looks extremely shallow. Well, I just have to be extra careful when it comes to lifestocks. I do not plan to keep too many corals for a start. More tiny fishes, inverts with some hardy corals. I will learn for 2 years, then I shall aim for a larger tank, 50-75g at least.

I am still testing my water conditions now, probably add a few cleaning ah-soh to keep the tank clean while cycling. I got a feeling I can start looking for a hardy fish 2 weeks from now.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Really like that tunze filter/skimmer.

But seems that it is blocking the MH.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Yeah it is blocking 25% of the light (I think), but luckily it doesn't affect too much, phew! I might look at adding some flaps to redirect the MH, it's heating the skimmer cup too :unsure:

Nothing is perfect I guess, especially when it comes to a Nano. Every solution creates new issues... that's the fun part I guess :P

• SRC Member

Hmm .. i notice some space at the left side .. mayb can push the tunez skimmer more to the left. *sry if i m wrong*

Wow .. u really hav very amazing equips .. how i wish i could hav a set up like that ..

Yea .. its preferred that u let it cycle for a while more first .. like wad another reefer keep reminding me on my topic .. patience patience! .. HAha! .. anyway .. all de best to ur tank!

Come on guys... I was just trying my luck (without getting flamed)! Ok got it!

CRASH & BURN :evil:

I know what, I will focus on other things for the next couple of weeks so I don't have to suffer from practising eternal patience. lol

Oh I still have stuff to fix anyway, Chiller and a new hood to stop water / fishes from splashing out!

Firestarz: Yeah I've decided to invest in so all these equipments so that I can assure myself "I can make it this time"... well guess what? Experience has taught me that better equipments not necessarily = success! lol

Ok I'm just a very "gadget" kinda person, and I adores German technology. Now you guys start to know a little bit more about me (as a person, not a Nano tank, lol).

Firestarz: Can't push ReefPack to the left coz the inlet for the back compartment is on the left top corner. The ReefPack already covered 30% of the inlet.

The Tunze protein skimmer is working very well, I am very satisfied with it. The Tunze filter however, with its surface water intake creates a bit of noise, just like water running down to a sump tank.

How often do you guys reckon I should maintain the filter medium? I know filter can trap nitrates & etc. I plan to take it out every week, wash it thoroughly and leave it under the sun for a day or two. I will replace in a new filter. Then swap every week to get rid of bacteria. Is this the right way? Need advice :thanks:

• SRC Member

If the MH is heating the tunze... then this filter will have crack pretty soon... Just be careful. ;)

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Even with fans blowing on top the fan? Oh what am I gonna do... :o I'm planning to use this filter for a very long time.

* Fans blowing on top the water surface creating constant airflow between the MH and the surface of the tank

Sorry got distracted by my colleague ;)

• SRC Member

hmm .. if u dun mind .. there might b other ways..

One would b to totally remove the back portion .. cos i dun tyhink u need it anyway .. Eh .. this one will give u more tank space also .. its quiet alot of diy work .. but the plastic shouldnt b too difficult to cut .. can other experinenced DIYers give comments on this ..

hmm .. the other way is to push the tunez all de way .. n make small slots like the present inlet near the center .. where the tunez isnt blocking.

Juz some ideas .. hope they help .. its all up to u in the end.

One would b to totally remove the back portion .. cos i dun tyhink u need it anyway .. Eh .. this one will give u more tank space also .. its quiet alot of diy work .. but the plastic shouldnt b too difficult to cut .. can other experinenced DIYers give comments on this ..

I think it defends the purpose of buying a NC if you remove the cover then cover the back...might as well get a custom made tank :D

Firestarz: Thanks for your suggestions, actually I already thought of that. It's just that the back plastic is kinda hard to remove and drying the tank up is too much of a hassle right now. Might spell D I S A S T E R !

I think I can live with the tank setup and the look of the reef. Actually, I quite like it :upsidedown:

Bezz: I do agree with you, completely. I should've gotten a slightly larger (around 50g) custom tank. But hey, we are cretive people... we will make things work. All my equipments will not go to waste as I will definitely transfer them to a larger tank in 2 years time.

This is another reason I can't give up the back compartments. How much light does Chaeto requires? Water flow is so-so there.

post-69-1141124650.jpg

A free gift from the bro (SGR member) I bought the Chaeto from... :thanks: bro!

post-69-1141125124.jpg

Can anyone ID it for me? I think it's a mangrove tree. Currently I just rest it securely on my rocks and it's 6" away from the MH. So a) Can it survive without sand for the root? B) Will my MH cause any harm to it? TQ

Turbelle Electronics 7200/20 running at 30%. This will surely create irregular water movement in the tank. I'm using the transparent diverter at the outlet to reduce its force.

post-69-1141125803.jpg

Of course no wave without a wave maker. I set the multicontroller to slow pulse and interval between pumps. So with only 1 pump, it manages create a push and pull effect well enough for my tank. It is running at night mode all the time to reduce force (running at 30%). The multicontroller also comes with a light sensor ###### moon light LED (refer to Chaeto pics above). The moonlight LED is very strong, creating a very mysterious amount of light into the tank, kinda mimic actual moonlight (in white).

I think Anthias and Chromis will love it!

post-69-1141126366.jpg

Ok It's about time I seriously look into the water parameters... update later tonight :)