Modified 24g NC in the making

jervismun

Yeah... but despite all the hard-earned cash dumped in, I still get lousy water conditions... :cry2:

Hehe, relax the cycle has barely start kicking... I will let it run for a few days then start worrying.

Should I put in the RowaPhos Sponge now or later? Phosphate is around 0.25ppm. Nitrates is very high, at least 75ppm. What's the acceptable lvl for Nitrates? Just dumped in some Cheatos, hopefully they will help control the Nitrates. Ammonia is ok I guess, <0.25mg/L

Any advice guys? Besides throwing in a dead market prawn :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Protein Skimmer real harworking, lol. Sometimes I find sharing these kinda pix gross :sick:

post-69-1141133047.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Haha! .. the more gross it is the better ur skimmer .. so yea .. nothing good comes nice .. like herbal tea ..

YEa .. bro really admire ur equips .. but true .. good considerations for the future .. Next time upgrade to bigger tank .. i sill rmb one bro told me at bio ocean .. he upgraded 3 times .. each time to a much biggr tank .. Then bio ocean boss was like .. u want my display tank or a similar set? .. Those of u who been to bio ocean know which on i m refering to .. the really long one .. haha!

Yeah... but despite all the hard-earned cash dumped in, I still get lousy water conditions... :cry2:

Hehe, relax the cycle has barely start kicking... I will let it run for a few days then start worrying.

Should I put in the RowaPhos Sponge now or later? Phosphate is around 0.25ppm. Nitrates is very high, at least 75ppm. What's the acceptable lvl for Nitrates? Just dumped in some Cheatos, hopefully they will help control the Nitrates. Ammonia is ok I guess, <0.25mg/L

Any advice guys? Besides throwing in a dead market prawn :heh:

i think it's time to remove the prawn if you have not done so.

u should use rowa from the start, trying to bring down po4 after algae visits is a real headache.

nitrates are a tad high. anything below 20ppm should be fine for both fish and corals.

once your cycle finishes, do a water change to reduce your no3. your chaeto should help to reduce no3 too.

take things nice n slow :)

Thanks Elimmel! I will now cut the RowaPhos sponge and fit it into my back compartment. No prawn yet... too lazy to go Cold Storage, lol. So no need prawn anymore?

What do you guys think of Teco RA240 Chiller? I already ordered 1, but not yet pay. So I think I can still back-off if the product is lousy or not suitable for my tank. Need advice urgently!

My tank is running at record 31ºC today. 2ºC higher than room temperature. If I don't do something, my only hermit crab will say bye bye! :cry:

Finally got the Tunze Osmolator working. It's quite a hassle to get all the sensor, emergency stopper, cables and tubes properly set up. Did a test run just now, it works! No more manual water topping for me... except to the 10g container, lol.

This is good especially during holidays. The Tunze ReefPack will work well if the water level is to be maintained constantly.

Will you guys recommend adding a bit of salt into the 10g container? (read it from somewhere)

Also, some people add Kalk into the container, what's your opinion? Do I need to look at adding calcium now? At this stage? Will it help my red coralline to grow better?

post-69-1141143525.jpg

Firestarz: Those Chaetos will need some form of light to stay healthy right? Maybe I can minimize the no. of hours, currently running 4 - 5 hours (7pm - 12am). I will possibly get my chiller today anyway... so what's the best temperature? 26ºC or 27ºC?

Oh I found another small snail among my rocks. Will try to get a pics for ID later :heh:

I am getting kinda low Ammonia readings but very high Nitrates instead. I have yet to get hold of a Nitrites test kit (will get today). Is that an indication that the cycle has begun and the ammonia hike is already over? I suspect I have a very high Nitrites. Phosphate is high too, added RowaPhos sponge last night.

This is my first cycle, appreciate guidance from you guys :thanks:

• SRC Member

Yea .. i forgot abt ur cheatos .. sry .. been suffering from short term mem lost after my O's.

both 26degrees n 27 degrees should b ok, not much of a diff .. stay within the 25 to 28 degrees range n it shld b ok. Yea .. unless ur intending to keep SPS .. i m no expert in that but i think for that its 25 degrees constant is the best.

Yup thats an indication that the cycle is started n the ammonia hike over ..

So will the high Nitrites/Nitrates do my cleaning crew harm? Thinking of getting more tiny hermits and snails later from LFS.

I placed some of the Chaetos inside my main tank, hooked onto some rocks near the surface. Kinda like the look of it. I know they will multiply... since I am not planning to keep much coral (for the first 6 months), will it do the tank any harm besides looking like a sewage, lol.

I will introduce more Macroalgae especially the grape, I really like it (saw in a reefer's tank). Is the grape safe to keep?

Is 1.021 too low? I know some reefers keep their tank at constant 1.023. What say you?

• SRC Member
Is 1.021 too low? I know some reefers keep their tank at constant 1.023. What say you?

Normally I set my sg at low 1.021-1.023. So that when evaporation occurs it will not suffer from Hi Sg.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

:thanks: Nakazoru I will set my Sg to 1.022 then. I will not have evaporation problem with the Tunze Osmolator. Unless I forget to top-up the 10g refill container :P

I've added something to the tank today... guess what?

Nope not another piece of high-tech equipment... nope nope nope. You want clue? Refer to next submission. :fear:

post-69-1141215027.jpg

Cheato inside my main tank :o

Yes! Ain't they look beautiful? I know how fast they can grow... well, I guess I have nothing to loose at this stage. The ReefPack 500 blocks some light from reaching the back compartments, so I can have all 3 compartments filled with Chaeto.

Well, I kinda like the look of it. Green is good for the eyes anyway, lol.

post-69-1141215210.jpg

hey jervismin, how about more chose up pics of ur new gadget =X

There are plenty of close-up pictures of my gadgets on this thread already. If you wanna learn/see more on Tunze ReefPack 500, you can click the link at my signature. The only gadget not featured is actually the Teco chiller, I will only receive it tomorrow, but it's not a new product anyway.

Hope you enjoy my postings :P

Err... not exactly a hitchicker... but yeah it comes with the rocks. Yeah!

post-69-1141216646.jpg

Yahoo! Look what I found!?! Can someone ID it? It's kinda small and doesn't look like a hermit crab.

post-69-1141216818.jpg

Confirm it's some kinda snail... it was "stuck" on my glass surface for a while this morning.

New addition... more macroalgae to help reduce Nitrates and hopefully Phosphates. $3.00 each, bought 2 pieces.

post-69-1141298410.jpg

Wow! Even got yellow flower! So nice :D

post-69-1141298489.jpg

And guess what I found at the back of my LR? I keep on discovering new things every now and then... that's what so amazing about keeping a reef tank :P

3 specimens in the pix, 1 zoo and 2 shrooms.

post-69-1141298654.jpg