Modified 24g NC in the making

jervismun

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooooo.... sunburst... :D

Don't think so yet, unless it is eating behind my back...

I still find the algae bearable... it's the side panels anyway, will let the snails feed on them for the time being. Will do something more drastic if it really gets out of hand.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Latest update of my tank... basically split the Sea Fan and move a small frag to the lower right corner (nearer to the wave maker).

post-69-1142092897.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hrmz, are the snails useful? I removed the ones i bought last time as they were too huge...Are they feeding on the pest algae on your LRs?

What you think? lol

post-69-1142098965.jpg

Thanks to a bro's recommendation, I bought Aquaz Phytoplankton to feed my corals. I switched off all my filters and pumps (except the wavemaker) and poured in the dark green mixture into the tank... The corals are looking much healthier now especially the Blue Sea Fan :)

Thanks to a bro's recommendation, I bought Aquaz Phytoplankton to feed my corals. I switched off all my filters and pumps (except the wavemaker) and poured in the dark green mixture into the tank... The corals are looking much healthier now especially the Blue Sea Fan :)

that stuff is great. but dun overdose it as it is very concentrated . BTW i am using that too , together with my DT. save cost a bit

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

that stuff is great. but dun overdose it as it is very concentrated . BTW i am using that too , together with my DT. save cost a bit

Hehe I think I overdosed a bit last night... luckily I turned on my protein skimmer 1 hour later and removed them quickly off the tank. The skimmate are kinda greenish, so I assume the extras were removed. Silly me :paiseh:

Update layout B)

post-69-1142264309.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement... but those SPS are so costly... they go by frag, lol. Let's see how la, currently I am happy playing with all the newbie corals.

• SRC Member

Nice tank.

Seems everything is going well. :)

except that I think it is not wise to keep a sunburst anthias inside a NC. Too small space for a big fellow alike the sunburst anthias. You ought to see its fully grown features. You will have your jaws dropped wide agape. They are super big! :o

If you like thrills and spills of seeing a fish growing from infant to adult, try Chervon Tang or Blue tang or a Purple tang. Though many reefers will comment that they poo alot, but hey! You are not keeping a SPS tank, your corals can withstand a jump in the bioload (anyways anthias also poo alot cause they eat alot) well, go find either of those 3 tangs above, I have seen them as small as the size of a 50 cent coin, but the price tag still the same. BTH~ <_<

and if I am not mistaken,

Sea fan doesnt feed on phytoplankton. They feed on planktonic food like rotifers or baby brine shrimps, fed directly to their polyps. They are alike our sun corals, need constant targeted feeding.

oh wells. that's just my 2 cents.

tell me if I am wrong. I can take direct comments right in my face

Afterall I am just a newbie reefer :D

Reef on, dude! :)

Nice tank.

Seems everything is going well. :)

except that I think it is not wise to keep a sunburst anthias inside a NC. Too small space for a big fellow alike the sunburst anthias. You ought to see its fully grown features. You will have your jaws dropped wide agape. They are super big! :o

If you like thrills and spills of seeing a fish growing from infant to adult, try Chervon Tang or Blue tang or a Purple tang. Though many reefers will comment that they poo alot, but hey! You are not keeping a SPS tank, your corals can withstand a jump in the bioload (anyways anthias also poo alot cause they eat alot) well, go find either of those 3 tangs above, I have seen them as small as the size of a 50 cent coin, but the price tag still the same. BTH~ <_<

and if I am not mistaken,

Sea fan doesnt feed on phytoplankton. They feed on planktonic food like rotifers or baby brine shrimps, fed directly to their polyps. They are alike our sun corals, need constant targeted feeding.

oh wells. that's just my 2 cents.

tell me if I am wrong. I can take direct comments right in my face

Afterall I am just a newbie reefer :D

Reef on, dude! :)

Hi bro Ancelot

You know I am alrady planning for a larger tank right? So the Sunburst shouldn't have much problem unless it grows 3 times its current size within 3 months. But I thought Sunburst is smaller than the usual Anthias even in adult size... at least I was told by AM.

Purple Tang is another favourite... will introduce into my next tank :)

SPS... well perhaps 2 years from now. But I already plan ahead to ensure my new tank is capable of supporting SPS, so no more expensive upgrading. But for now, I am very happy keeping newbie corals and fishes.

Sea Fan doesn't feed on Phytoplankton? Em... They do look happy when I feed them, I also feed them Zooplankton. Currently cultivating Artemia (sea monkey), within the next day will be able to tell successful or not, lol. A bro also suggested oyster eggs, so if not too exp, will get one this weekend.

What's Rotifers actually? Do you have a good brand so I can go look for it.

Don't know if you are wrong or not... hopefully this is not "blind leading the blind" :pirate:

Sea Fans are similar to soft corals, however they anchor themselves in mud or sand instead of attaching themselves to hard substrates. Some Sea Fans require up to 8 inches of sand. Most Sea Fans are nocturnal, only extending their polyps during the nighttime hours. They consume plankton and require strong currents to carry their food.

- extracted from liveaquria.com

seafan

so do u think they consume plankton? :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I hope my new Six Line is not eating the Sea Fan for dinner... :cry2: Aren't Six Line totally reef safe? Probably it is just curious...

post-69-1142517274.jpg

• SRC Member

Hrmz, some fishes will try and take a bite out of almost everything new. I do not think the six line will make a meal out of your sea fan. Proberbly just curious. Btw, its a nice specimen, pretty fat. But heard that it'll get pretty aggressive when they are used to their surroundings. :) Your tank is getting nicer by the day! good work! :upsidedown:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Hrmz, some fishes will try and take a bite out of almost everything new. I do not think the six line will make a meal out of your sea fan. Proberbly just curious. Btw, its a nice specimen, pretty fat. But heard that it'll get pretty aggressive when they are used to their surroundings. :) Your tank is getting nicer by the day! good work! :upsidedown:

Thanks! What a great relief... yeah I bought it from 22 Farmway 2. Like the specimens and pricing there :D A great discovery for me...

nice 6line.... wah your water looks crystal clear leh... the 6line like floating in mid air

Hehe... your air also look crystal clear... the chipmunk looks like floating in the air (your avatar) lol! :yeah:

I changed water 3 days ago and will continue doing it every Mon/Tue.

• SRC Member

Hi bro Ancelot

Sea Fan doesn't feed on Phytoplankton? Em... They do look happy when I feed them, I also feed them Zooplankton. Currently cultivating Artemia (sea monkey), within the next day will be able to tell successful or not, lol. A bro also suggested oyster eggs, so if not too exp, will get one this weekend.

Alright. Lets answer your question in the simplest way teehee!

If I put a plate of seafood, delicious, yummy and looks like everything is bestowed from the Heavens above, will you want to open your mouth and take a bite?

The above theory applies the same for your sea fan bro.

Reef On! :D

• SRC Member
Sea Fans are similar to soft corals, however they anchor themselves in mud or sand instead of attaching themselves to hard substrates. Some Sea Fans require up to 8 inches of sand. Most Sea Fans are nocturnal, only extending their polyps during the nighttime hours. They consume plankton and require strong currents to carry their food. 

- extracted from liveaquria.com

seafan

so do u think they consume plankton? :peace:

Your DT is phytoplankton. Its a different thing from zooplankton.

Sea Fan consumes zooplankton and not phytoplankton.

The reason why they are situated close to currents or in the direct course of a undercurrent flow is to increase their chances of capturing passing by plankton example micro organisms as such we call them rotifers (which is one of the common micro organisms we can find in the market now)

So answer is No :)

Here's a new kid on the block... feeding on algae right away! Very active too. :lol:

post-69-1142611746.jpg

A Two Spots Goby view of my tank :fear:

post-69-1142685771.jpg

This is how I feed my Blue Sea Fan... a mixture of Marinium Zooplankton + Argent Cyclop-eeze! I can see that the polyps are feeding as they open and close for many times.

post-69-1142690100.jpg

Hehe... after a hearty meal :upsidedown:

post-69-1142690431.jpg