Extra tank for cycling salt water

I currently have a 4feet marine tank on a iron rod stand. Below is my freshwater fishtank. I was thinking of converting that freshwater tank to a salt water cycling tank... just in case I need to perform water changes.

I will be transfering my freshwater fish to my fish tank in the living room.

I will add a power filter in it to cycle the water. The problem is that that tank does not have a cover. I am afraid that this setup, (empty tank with salt water only) will attract mosquitos...... :yeah::yeah: Or am I just being paranoid.... Worry abt my son's safety to mosquito bites.

Any suggestions or feedback abt this water solutions?

Thanks..!!!

• SRC Member

I think mosquitoes only breed in freshwater. .

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

agree, why waste the chance to have a sump?

making SW from saltmix is pretty fast so why the need to have a tank to age the new salt water. evaporation will occur and your new SW's SG will change.

use the bottom tank as a sump with fuge la :)

A 4feet sump...? Both tanks, my marine and freshwater tanks (top and bottom) are a normal, rectangular tanks. How to make it into a sump?

Any suggestions...?

A 4feet sump...? Both tanks, my marine and freshwater tanks (top and bottom) are a normal, rectangular tanks. How to make it into a sump?

Any suggestions...?

use an i-box... check out of sponsor for it.

or look at chercm's thread on sump for his 2ft.

as for having a 4ft sump for a 4 sump tank... no problems la.

many pple have sumps equal or even bigger than their display tank.

check out bro ian's tank thread.

I agree with the bros, a 4ft tank full of Chaeto and capepods is going to be the envy of everyone... You have twice the water volume!!! Wow! You just need an overflow box (check out reefdepot.com.sg) a powerful pump and some solid plumbing work. You may also position your protein skimmer and what nots down there.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica