Set up of a 4 ft tank

Hi friends,

I'm pretty new to the hobby; just to ask for opinion as to my setting of my 120x40x60cm ft tank.(250litres)

As my tank is a frsh water tank given to me, so no holes and over flow box, I intend to buy overflow pipe if I want a sump. is this the best approach?

What grade of sand should I use for the bottom?

I have a Eheim ecco 2235 model cannister filter, is it sufficient to sustain healthy corals without chiller?

• SRC Member
Hi friends,

I'm pretty new to the hobby; just to ask for opinion as to my setting of my 120x40x60cm ft tank.(250litres)

As my tank is a frsh water tank given to me, so no holes and over flow box, I intend to buy overflow pipe if I want a sump. is this the best approach?

What grade of sand should I use for the bottom?

I have a Eheim ecco 2235 model cannister filter, is it sufficient to sustain healthy corals without chiller?

Yes you need an overflow is you want a sump - need a sump 1st. Then get the overflow - overflow can buy from Aqua***in or DIY yourself. Some reefers will do for you.

Cansister is insufficient for a 4ft unless it is a FOWLR. Sand get grade 3 then 1 and then 0 at the top, a sandbed thickness of about 2-3" is okay.

chiller is needed for hard corals, but not necessary for soft corals provided you do not go over the safe zone (30 degrees). If FOWLR chiller not necessary, again not going over the safe zone.

just mine 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Cdckjn

Out of curiousity, wat is d reason for stacking Grade 3, 1 and O sand in tis sequence? Isn't Grade O sand too fine to be stack last and will tis create sand storm in tis way? Can u advise me? I m also now thinking of wat sand grade to buy for my 4FT tank.

For 4FT, can anybody advise me, hw many kg of sand to use ah? Tks a lot. :P

• SRC Member

Hrmz, rdg the amount of sand, maybe you can just ask the LFS to estimate for you. Im keeping my 3.3FT running on an external cannister too....till now most of the corals are still good. A sump or an overflow is good to have but definately not essential to keeping a nice tank. If you want to keep corals, suggest you to find a way to keep your temperature around 27 to 28 degrees. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~