different lights

• SRC Member

Depending on whats the height of your tank and what kind of corals you intend to keep, T5s will be good enough if your tank isn't too depp. I switched from a 150W Mh to 4x 39W T5s. Much leeser heat but of course you don't get the shimmering effect Mh offers anymore.

Dun know much about Mhs, but the higher the wattage, the more powerful the lights? Planning to upgrade?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

The light is able to penetrate deeper if the wattage is higher.

The disadvantage of high wattage lights are the heat generated and also your electrical bills

Just like what Qx has mentioned, depending what you intend to keep and the depth of your tank.

SPS = more light

LPS = less light

FOWLR = least light, can even do without light :heh: if you don't want to see your fishes at night :lol:

• SRC Member
ic.

the mh.

wads the diff with 150w n 250w

see what kind of colour temperature u want

note the higher the kelvin the lower the par, or the intensity (in layman terms)

6500k(more growth) - 20000k(more colours)

6500k(yellow) - 10000k(whitish) - 20000k (blue-ish)

so lets say u have a 10000k 150w mh which is quite acceptable being in the mid range between growth n colours.

you could have a higher par value with a 14000k 250w mh even though the colour temp is higher due to the increased wattage. + the added benefit of extra colouration( esp for sps)

diff between 150w n 250w primarily is the penetration capability, so it depends on how deep your tank is. >2ft in depth u would need 250w to 400w. notice most sps keepers put their sps right at the topmost of their tanks ? this is to allow the highest intensity available. so the higher the wattage the more allowance you can play around with, esp in placement :P

taken from this website:

http://www.firstlightdirect.com/scp/Aquari...Salt_Lamps.html

This is a white marine lamp with a 10,000k colour temperature. It is designed for use with both marine and freshwater fish, invertebrates and coral. This full spectrum lamp produces exceptional natural colours in all aquariums. The high colour temperature helps to prevent excessive plant growth. This lamp when complimented with the blue Saltwater Blue actinic lamp provides a superb combination for the growth of corals and invertebrates. Features: Full spectrum output ideal for plants and corals Brilliant colour reproduction

sites to check out

http://www.athiel.com/aquatic/riddle3.htm

:upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Hrmz, im using Solite and im very satisfied with the product for the price i paid. How many FT is your tank length-wise? The shortest T5 fixtures i've seen around are for 2FT tanks. For a 8 gallon tank without any super high light demanding corals, T5s would be more than enough. Im using 4 x 39W T5s for me 60G. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Hey bro qxn,

I'm using dymax t5s. Seems alright but only rhodactics are doing very well..

The other two are ok. That's why i'm thinking of changing my lights. Can PM the price of ur solite and where you got it from?

Thanks to you and bro godzillia too for the reply

If you wanna go for T5, don't try to save on the tubes. Go for the most exp u can afford... ATI and D-D (Deltec) are good T5 tubes.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica