my 2 nemo died...

barnacle: then how u grow bateria? i know u can drop those bateria pills but read in this forum tat it might not be reliable. wat other methods? add in more live rock? but then i think tat adding in more live rock again will kill the existing fishes in the tank...

Bro the fact is you did not go thru ANN cycle properly, now I suggest you buy fritz #9 nitrifying bacteria pour 1/4 bottle in and let it cycle for another 2 weeks and do not add anything else.

my 0.02ct

hi tanga,

i definitely will not add in any more fishes. it sad to see my fishes die... will pouring in the nitrifying bateria causes my cleaner shrimp to die?

• SRC Member

die in 3 days?

i got a noob qns : when u say u mix tap water with salt, then measure with the floating hydrometer....

erm... tap water is wrong... secondly... salt issue... wat salt u used? marine salt or kitchen salt?

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member
erm... tap water is wrong... secondly... salt issue... wat salt u used? marine salt or kitchen salt?

Please leh.. dun insult this bro's mentality :angry:

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

I wonder why this guy still around he have been causing trouble in quite a number of thread, why is he not been dealt with :sick::sick:

huh.. who? u referring to me or Elune? :o

Project R.E.

Previously:

• SRC Member

haa. i've been out of this forum for too long to noe what's that guy have been doing

Project R.E.

Previously:

I agree with barnacle.. 1 week is way too short a cycling period. If you do your readings, most of them would suggest 6-8 weeks of cycling period. I am surprised your clowns died before your cleaner shrimps as cleaners are more sensitive to spikes in your tank.

actually not really true leh... i think that cleaner shrimps are like commando. my friend cleaner shrimp have been around with him since he start up his nano tank. in the process, about 5 to 6 fishes die in his nano tank within the space of about 2 mths plus but this cleaner shrimp survive throughout this ordeal and it had grow bigger...

cleaner shrimp gd to keep. at least my cleaner shrimp now is eating fine now. hope tat nothing happen to this little fella.

• SRC Member

cleaner shrimp if they dun die within first few days.. they most prob they'll survive long liao..

but take care cos they sensitive to big fluctuations in water parameters

Project R.E.

Previously:

• SRC Member

Surferguy,

I suggest that you do more reading & research before starting this hobby.

Maybe check out some books in library.

Honestly speaking,nano tank is not suitable for starter.Only very experience reefer

(not all,only handful) can succeed.

Its better to restart in bigger tank which it is easier,

Surferguy,

I suggest that you do more reading & research before starting this hobby.

Maybe check out some books in library.

Honestly speaking,nano tank is not suitable for starter.Only very experience reefer

(not all,only handful) can succeed.

Its better to restart in bigger tank which it is easier,

i agree with u. initially i tot of starting with 3ft setup but due to space constraint, decided to start off with 1ft first and in the future upgrade to 2ft tank.

read in the nano section tat lotsa people succeed with their nano tank and some are begineer. tat y willing to try it n have set myself the limit of keeping 3 live stock in the tank only.

now i'm gonna to let my tank run as it is now for maybe up to a mth and see how things goes.

• SRC Member

Hrmz, your water parameters seems pretty decent to me though, but yeah, let the tank run for a while before you add new LS. Do some testing after a week or two, if your water parameters are stable, can try some hardy corals like zoos first. Some reefers fill their tank with inverts before LS. Good luck and welcome to the unpredictable world of reefing!~ :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Hrmz, your water parameters seems pretty decent to me though, but yeah, let the tank run for a while before you add new LS. Do some testing after a week or two, if your water parameters are stable, can try some hardy corals like zoos first. Some reefers fill their tank with inverts before LS. Good luck and welcome to the unpredictable world of reefing!~ :)

i plan to get some star polyps or mushrooms in probably a mth time and see whether it is successful. if they grow fine in it, will maybe trying adding 1 or 2 clownfish into the tank again.

• SRC Member

I wonder why this guy still around he have been causing trouble in quite a number of thread, why is he not been dealt with :sick::sick:

Tanga: care to elaborate on how I should be dealt with?

Qxnviolet: even barnacle mentions using RO/DI water, not direct tap water. so when surferguy mentions he mixed tap water with salt, am I not correct to say that using tap water is wrong (technically)?

Andylee: i m surprise you returned, after disappearing for a period. well, welcome back. Not to insult surferguys's mentality, but I do not rule out the possibility that newbies might use kitchen salt (its salt anyways) to mix water. In addition to him mentioning that he mix with tap water, this further heightens such possibility.

I have friends who have bought clown fishes home (out of fun) to keep in nano tanks (during the "Finding Nemo season), and mixed direct tap water with just a couple spoonfuls of salt (yes, kitchen salt) without hydrometer. and yes, the fishes die shortly after. That is why i never rule out such possibilities. Since surferguy did not, then so be it, move on.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

haha....peace. IMO, there absolutely nothing wrong with using tap water. And using tap water certainly isn't the cause of the death of any fishes....i've been using tap water ever since i've started and apart from abit of algae, nothing in my tank seems worse off from it. Anyway, just my own opinion.... :peace:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~