How to Bring Down Nitrit .... HELP ! ! !

Hi,

Could some kind soul pls tell me how to bring down the level of nitrit??

I have tried using bacteria, changing water... but it's seem futile....

I have let the bacteria react in the tank for about a week, but level seems to be forever there...

Pls Help ! ! ! :cry2:

try seachem PRIME.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

hi actually the best way to bring nitrate is using DI water n changing the water, however it may be that your area has a higher nitrate from the tap ? singapore water is usually from 5-10ppm nitrate.

about the bacteria you would need an anaerobic (w/o air) condition for the bacteria to convert nitrate back to nitrogen gas.care to try a denitrator?

another way would be to use a refugium, making use of plants to absorb the nitrate;in the sump

there is a chemical way ofcourse, a gd one is AZNO3 but it is rather costly, slightly less than half a hundred.(haha cannot mention prices here)

:peace:

I think he got Nitrite problem since his tank is very new... does your tank contains any fish and corals? If not, let it cycle. With introduction of live rocks and Nitrifying Bacteria, you will find ur Nitrite be converted to Nitrate soon... give the system another 2 to 3 days. Then start worrying about getting rid of Nitrate, lol.

Another thing, does your tank smells bad when you introduce rocks? If yes, then yours are uncured live rocks, which will take longer to cycle. So high Nitrite is expected at this stage.

What test kit r u using btw? Is it a new set or old set?

All the best to you :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Hi,

Could some kind soul pls tell me how to bring down the level of nitrit??

I have tried using bacteria, changing water... but it's seem futile....

I have let the bacteria react in the tank for about a week, but level seems to be forever there...

Pls Help ! ! ! :cry2:

yup bob is correct nitrate or nitrite ? v impt

my earlier post was for nitrate :)

I think he got Nitrite problem since his tank is very new... does your tank contains any fish and corals? If not, let it cycle. With introduction of live rocks and Nitrifying Bacteria, you will find ur Nitrite be converted to Nitrate soon... give the system another 2 to 3 days. Then start worrying about getting rid of Nitrate, lol.

Another thing, does your tank smells bad when you introduce rocks? If yes, then yours are uncured live rocks, which will take longer to cycle. So high Nitrite is expected at this stage.

What test kit r u using btw? Is it a new set or old set?

All the best to you  :)

Thanks for the guidance, i'm currently facing nitrite problem...

I do think that my water stink, if so is there any other way of reducing it... I'm using a new test kit....

I do have some fishes in the tank, but i dun think they can hold on much longer... Can anyone pls kindly advise.... Really at a loss....

:unsure::cry2:

Thanks

• SRC Member

Hrmz, did you let your tank cycle before you added any LS? Any LRs in your tank? Are you using any bacteria housing media like biohome and such? Understand that your fishes are showing signs of being unwell, maybe you can deposit them at someone else's tank and wait till you get your water parametes correct before taking them back. Good luck...

:)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Thanks for the guidance, i'm currently facing nitrite problem...

I do think that my water stink, if so is there any other way of reducing it... I'm using a new test kit....

I do have some fishes in the tank, but i dun think they can hold on much longer... Can anyone pls kindly advise.... Really at a loss....

:unsure::cry2:

Thanks

So confirm your tank is still cycling... just to make things easier to understand

Your tank is now at the Nitrite stage.

Ammonia ---> Nitrite ---> Nitrate ---> Nitrogen

Nitrite shouldn't be too hard to get rid. Don't worry, your tank is cycling normally... the only problem is your fishes. They shouldn't be in there at this moment... are they exquisite/expensive specimens? Coz if they are, then it will be such a waste to see them perish... if they are $1 Chromis... then don't take them out, the extra stress will likely to kill them anyway. Bearing in mind that, if your fishes can go through this stage, they will become super strong in the future!

Don't worry, let the tank continue the cycle. When was the last time you added in Nitrifying Bacteria (bottle/tables)? If not, quickly go get a bottle coz you need to boost the amount of bacteria fast. Once there are sufficient amount of bacterias (aerobic) residing in ur live rocks, bio balls, biohome, etc. They will convert Nitrite to Nitrate in no time...

Once you detect low Nitrite, you can start changing 30% to 40% of the water. Make sure you have a good salt mix. Or else the Bacterias will get wipe-out and start all over again.

Getting rid of Nitrate is a little more tricky, IMO although they are less toxic. We shall talk again once you reach that stage :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Your tank is still cycling. How long have you cycled your tank already ? NO2 is the 2nd phase of the ANN cycle. Once your N02 peaks, it will be converted to NO3 by another group of bacteria.

Normally, depending on conditions, it takes a minimum of one month to cycle a tank. If you have the patience, it's better to wait longer before stocking fishes.

A tank in it's infancy may test 0 for ammonia, but the nitrifying capacity may not be ready for livestocks which will cause ammonia spikes and kill your livestocks.

Be patient and you will be rewarded with a beautiful marine tank with minimal losses.

Good luck and remember, patience is a very important in this facinating hobby.