PH meter

• SRC Member

Hrmz, what do you actually mean by correlate? If both the test pen and test kits are accurate, they shoulf basically show the same value(+/- abit). I guess the Ph pens should be pretty accurate provided you calibrate them correctly. Alternatively, you can get a Ph meter. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
Is the Ph meter (pen type) accurate?

Does the reading correlate with PH test kit?

if u buy a reliable brand, maybe milwaukee ?

better a pin pt meter than a test kit that u need to keep comparing colours, quite confusing if the colours are inbetween, neither here nor there. :unsure:

i started off with test kit so i know my reading ard there (bet 8.1 - 8.5)

then i saw a cheapo test pen so buy $38... waste money (rather useless, some china brand) :pinch:

then i got a deal on the pasar malam for a pin pt.. yupz

:peace:

• SRC Member

Which brand of calibration pH solution should used? I had tried two different brand of same pH but the reading is different by 0.4. No sure which is correct. Should I get a test kit to confirm, which brand is more reliable? Please advise.

The info I read is that you need to soak the probe (pen type) to a wet sponge (not sure what solution) when you are keeping it else the probe will get damage. If this is the case, can you just leave the probe in the tank, just making sure you only dip the probe so it always wet.

• SRC Member

What I do is usually filled the cap for the test pen with some pH 7.0 solution then capped it and put back into the container. But the question is which brand of calibration solution is more reliable.

• SRC Member
The info I read is that you need to soak the probe (pen type) to a wet sponge (not sure what solution) when you are keeping it else the probe will get damage. If this is the case, can you just leave the probe in the tank, just making sure you only dip the probe so it always wet.

hmm... dunno bout this... the pen runs on batteries (those calculator round type) so u cant switch it on 24/7... moreover, the pen is not waterproof... onli parts near the probe is...

thus, if u wanna do this, buying a pH monitor is much suitable for u... it can be switched on 24/7 and u can look at the reading as when u like it... i tink cheap ones can get at less than 200 and better brands like pin point and wilwaukee will cost more than 200 ;)

• SRC Member
What I do is usually filled the cap for the test pen with some pH 7.0 solution then capped it and put back into the container. But the question is which brand of calibration solution is more reliable.

i guess most brands u can get at lfs should be reliable... the unreliable part comes in when u mess ard with the solution e.g. putting back the used solution

• SRC Member

For your information, in the past I used a type of solution using a brand with pH 7.0 in blue and pH 4.0 in pink (sorry forget the brand) and it is costing about $7~8.

I used this solution to calibrate my pen to a reading of pH7.0

But recently, this brand is running out (not sure what is the reason) for couple of months so had to change to another brand in white container (no brand name) for about $6.

After finishing the blue solution with a calibration of pH 7.0 on the pen, I use the white container solution to test but the pen give me a reading of pH 7.4.

Please note that I never re-use this type of solution by pouring back.

:eyebrow: