Requirement for LPS

nivlahog

May I know what are the things that I need to know before I start LPS?

-What addictive do I need to buy? Calcium, Mag etc pls advise

-I am using T5 for my lighting, my tanks is 4x2x2.5, what are the LPS that you guys recommend? (do not want to kill coral.....) :lol:

-Test Kits, currently I only have PH, N02, NO3....what are the kits that I must buy?

-Foods for LPS? market prawn, brimp shrimps or other?

Cheers :)

• SRC Member

yo its additive, not addictive, u're not buying heroine :lol:

for lps, the additives u need are Ca, strontium, Kh, trace elements and Mg. but with disciplined water changing these are unneccessary. trouble is, for such a big tank like yours, better to dose rather than change water. like my tank change water can die ah so i dose and water is few mths change 1 time.

your tank is 2.5ft deep? then i suggest u use 200+W of T5. IMO 150W for 2.5Ft depth is too little somemore u use T5. mh will have better penetration.

also, pay attention to current flow, moderate flow is good for lps

the test kits go get po4 test kit also, u dun wan algae growing over your lps skeleton :D if u dun haf po4 absorber running then go get 1

food yes, market prawn is enough, cyclopeeze if u want to stimulate lps to open their tentacles.

good starter lps are bubble (tough i dun haf luck with them :( ) , lobo, brain, cyarina and prata.

hammer torch frogspawn octo are more sensitive to water parameters so i suggest u start later with these

sun coral is also good but u need to feed them diligently. short tentacle plates also quite good to start with. long tentacle ones in my experience is alittle tougher.

• SRC Member

yeah, that's wat he is saying

and i said that earlier too! "but with disciplined water changing these are unneccessary."

BUT note that its only true if u use good salt that gif u good chemical composition.

and also IF u change a substantial amt like 10-20%

but considering your tank so big, hehe, it might cost a bomb to buy so much salt

as for buying alot of corals, i always say dun to that

buy 1, see wat happens

then buy another.

if u buy alot and 1 or 2 start to die, u'll get into a panic, worrying if the others will go too.

so to safe yourself the headache, get 1, then when u r more confident, get another and so on

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
PO4 that important??

Just measure mine.

Guess what? ......>2.0!!!!!!!!!!

OMG better do something or u will see ur coral start to melt.U dun even noe that po4 is important???Got any algae other than coralline growing a lot lately???

girlone.png

• SRC Member

Just installed a Fluidizer FR-100 with Aquapharm SORB-4 media(PO4 absorber). Being running for 2 days already.

How long will it take for the PO4 to drop to near zero?? :unsure:

BTW no algae growing. My tank look super clean just like new tank. Even my skimmer is clean with only a very small amount of skimming product.

KH- 10

Ph- 8.2

CA- 500+

PO4- >2.0

Temp- 26 deg

Lighting- T5(21Wx4), MH(150Wx2)

• SRC Member

Any brown stuffs lately???Then how abt nitrate???

girlone.png

• SRC Member
As said earlier, Very clean. NO3: Good.

How good is it???Hmm mus be something wrong wif ur test kit.Or do u have a denitrator???Then no po4 removal stuffs???Or u look wrongly???Mind showing the result slip plus the results of po4???

girlone.png