New Tank

Started on: 15/05/06

Tank: 45cm x 20cm x 25cm

Filter Media: AquaPharm (Nitrate & Ammonia Controller)

Salt Type: Coral Life

Currently using AquaPharm - solution A and B for the liverocks (bought at jalan kayu)

Lighting: PLC blue/white light (18W)

Water have been cycling for 1 week, and we have been using "CYCLE(Nitrate & Ammonia bacteria grower)"

fishtank.jpg

A big harloo to all of u.... i'm juz started tis hobby together with my bf recently and both of us got a number of questions to ask, hopefully u guys able to help us out along the way... :thanks:

Questions: :erm:

-----------------

1) After using soultion A and B which doesn't provide trace elements and iodine, is it enough for my liverock to grow corals?

2) Is my lighting too strong for my tank?

3) During the process of cycling of water, do we need to change the water regularly?

4) My Nitrate, Ammonia and Nitrite lvl till now still not at the the safe stage, how long more do i still have to observe?

5) What is the best salt lvl for it, as my current salt lvl is at 1.022.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

1) Err... your liverock does not "literally" grow corals... you need to buy them... currently since you are still cycling... essential elements and iodine etc. are not necessary. If you want to see purple coralline (if this is what you meant) than you need higher calcium level and etc. But for the time being, just make sure your water level is right... the purple coralline will come at a later stage.

2) Your lighting is not strong at all... in fact pretty low... so you must choose your corals carefully.. those requiring moderate to strong lighting is not suitable for your tank (just to give you a feel... your total walt is 18W, right? We go by the hundreds... I am currently using 378W for my 3ft tank)

3) You only change water (around 40% to 50%) once you start detecting very high Nitrate... low or almost undetectable Ammonia and Nitrite.

4) Really depends... I reckon another week or so... you can start adding some cleaning crews such as snails, hermits to take care of the blooming algae. Don't get shrimps and star fish as they are very sensitive. 1 week later... perhaps you can add a Nemo already... but must make sure your parameters are at acceptable level.

5) 1.025 is optimum... but expensive to maintain... 1.023 is a good level.

Hope this helps :)

p/s: Oh you may want to enlarge you photo a bit... too tiny :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

yeap. bro jerv is an expert.

keep cycle for another week and see if things will improve.

bro jerv... i think dont get nemo 1st. get 1 cheapo damsel 1st.

if it survives.. then add in nemo.

your light. maybe u can get a 24w or 36w 50/50 PL. means half blue half white.

iodine is usually used to enhace the color of the corals.

does a hermit crab bite fishes? cos my fren told me that hermit crab will bite fishes when they swim pass.

Do i need to change my filter media bcos it contain charcoal in it which will expire, if yes, after changing the filter media do i need to change 20% of the water immediately or not changing at all.

• SRC Member

hermits are so small. how are they gonna bite? they will only scavange on the sand bed/on rocks for any left over food.

yes. charcoal will expire. if im not wrong. 6months?.

i dont think there's a need to change water after changin a new media.

for your tank. 20%-30% change of water weekly is good.

try to get a skimmer too. the air driven typ.

i have 1. can sell u

:lol: thanks... for all the advice... hopefully everything goes smoothly... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
does a hermit crab bite fishes? cos my fren told me that hermit crab will bite fishes when they swim pass.

Do i need to change my filter media bcos it contain charcoal in it which will expire, if yes, after changing the filter media do i need to change 20% of the water immediately or not changing at all.

Advisable not to get hermit crabs for a small tank like yours as hermit crabs are opportunistic scavengers.. esp big hermit crabs are a no no... i k predict that u may be getting small fishes.. and in a small tank when space is at a premium.. opportunities for hermit crabs to strike yr fishes when they are sleeping is high.. :evil:

And btw Aquapharm soln A is to increase calcium in yr water and Soln B is to increase alkalinty (kH)... nothing to do with liverocks... strongly recommend u to get a salifert kH testkit as a minimum to test yr water for kH.. as alkalinity(kH) is a buffer for pH ... having a low kH will cause yr pH to dip low when u top up yr tank with fresh water to replace evaporated water.

Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer is a gd investment to ensure chance of success. As hydrometer esp the cheap ones often provide u with inaccurate salinity of yr water...

Last but not least, i advise cycling yr tank for 4 weeks b4 any addition of livestock... putting a cheap damsel fish now can be cruel to the fish... despite it is a cheap fish..its still a life afterall right ;)

And to avoid disappointment, do research and get the right type of fishes... dnt get fishes at least for the next few mths that are not that hardy... read anthias for example.

erm... then wat should i add on if i wan my liverocks to grow beautiful things.... :blink:

• SRC Member

Hi Welcome to SRC

1) Err... your liverock does not "literally" grow corals... you need to buy them... currently since you are still cycling... essential elements and iodine etc. are not necessary. If you want to see purple coralline (if this is what you meant) than you need higher calcium level and etc. But for the time being, just make sure your water level is right... the purple coralline will come at a later stage.

:shock: ohh... now i know... thx alot... anyway if i indent to keep soft coral, do i need to buy coral food? as im using solution A & B which provides Calcium, Magnesium, strontium, Bicarbonate, Carbonate, Boron and its also a calcium and alkalinity buffer... :rolleyes:

Yes you need to buy coral food... dun worry about those at the moment. As long as you post your progress frequently... we will be able to help you along the way :)

I seriously recommend you getting a protein skimmer. There are a lot of models out there catering to a wide range of budget... ranging from $10 to $5000!!! :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Welcome to the marine club. First of all, you need to consider what livestock you are going to keep. With a small tank like yours, you can go without a skimmer if you conduct weekly water changes if your bioload is low. Soft corals like mushrooms, zoos and rics can brighten up your tank. Always think ahead before you make a purchase cause space is a premium in your tank. :D

Sis you can try this website:

www.liveaquaria.com

Don't worry so much... this is a damn fun hobby... and you will surely make mistakes lor no matter how careful... so just learn along the way... :)

i need a protein skimmer who is selling and how much izzit?

:huh:

Check out the Pasar Malam section... what's ur budget? Perhaps we can help recommend a good skimmer for you (and place to purchase) :lol:

i need a protein skimmer... who is selling and how much is it? i would oso like to know 1 more thing, can corals stand a water temp of 30degree...

30ºC is kinda high lor... fishes no prob (those hardy ones)... corals must be very selective... IMO Zoos (Zoanthus) is your best choice... start with them first. Mushroom can sometimes melt in warm water :(

As for skimmer, not a lot of reefers own such tiny skimmers... you might have to get a new piece. IMO you can start off with a $10 air-stone protein skimmer + an air pump. Once you get more advanced... you can look for a more effective unit... by then... trust me... you will be planning for an upgrading to a larger tank :lol:

• SRC Member

Princesseve,

do get a fan for yr tank also.. the hot mid-year spell is coming soon. Temperature may be going up high during daytime. Maintaining a temperature of 27 C would be gd.. Or at least not over 30 C... I think for soft coral.. try not to be over 29 C.

A air stone skimmer should be sufficient for yr tank. IMO, ammonia and Nitrite testkit is optional if u have the patience to cycle yr tank for a mth. As u have added in bacteria, the ammonia and nitrite should have gone down by then though no harm getting these testkits if got budget. ;)

• SRC Member

anyone knows y my tank got some slimy thing tat look like spider web and i dun have any fish or coral in my tank now as im cycling my tank....

what is that?

i jus bought a protein skimmer but the high of the skimmer is higher than my tank so the result of the skimmer is like a waterfall is ok?

is it ok to saw it to the height of my tank? ;)

i jus bought a protein skimmer but the high of the skimmer is higher than my tank so the result of the skimmer is like a waterfall is ok?

is it ok to saw it to the height of my tank? ;)

Sis please show us a pix. Kinda hard to visualize ur situation :)