• SRC Member

hair algae grow got several of reasons

no3 too high

po4 too high

silicate too high

flow too low.

u can't just target the problem by using kalk cos kalk causes precipitation of po4 which helps with reducing po4 and hence algae growth.

however this is solving but 1 of the problems.

IMO, it is best to solve the problem at its roots, and that is to get a bigger and GOOD skimmer...big but lousy no use :P

big skimmer will churn out the organics before they degrade into po4 and no3.

so my choice would be get a bigger skimmer, seriously man, u wun regret(if u get a good one that is)

considering using FR with Rowa

DI/RO water change.

I am using Rowa without FR.. not very effective.

Hariy Algae still growing.. maybe PO4 at a high side.. i do water change weekly and also bi-color algae bleeny to control those algae.. very effective... now hairy algae got control now.

Perhaps you can start with this option first :-

- DI water changes.. DI water can obtain easily from NTUC, depend how much water change... can be expensive.

- Get a bi-color algae blenny to clear off those nuisance hairy algae.. most LFS selling at $5.

• SRC Member

Tomini Tang .. hardworking and nice.. constantly pecks on rocks and tank for algae. You would need a larger skimmer cos it shits alot. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Hi Hi, just wondering ...if skimmer removes biological waste before it breaks down to NO4...what's the point of having denitrator and biological filters (other than LR)...Sorry...I think it sound stupid but has been pondering about it for a few days. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi Hi, just wondering ...if skimmer removes biological waste before it breaks down to NO4...what's the point of having denitrator and biological filters (other than LR)...Sorry...I think it sound stupid but has been pondering about it for a few days. :thanks:

Thats because it is not possible to skim 100% of detrius and LS's waste. Percentage of it will breakdown into NO3.

Many many factors.. depends of flow rate of your tank, tank water to sump, mat of water to skimmer, etc..

so unless you can make sure 100% of water goes through the skimmer in a calculated amt of time (what ever that will be before it breaks down).

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/