B Ionic

• SRC Member

I came across this product frequently while surfing through the web. I understand that there are 3 ways of of maintaining the cal/alk balance; namely through dripping kalkwasser, adding liquid additives or a calcium reactor. And I came across one reefer using this two part additive - B ionic, to maintain his calcium and alk level through daily dosage. I tried to do a search through SRC but nothing came up about this product. I hope to get some feedback from any reefers who have experience with this product? Is this product available locally? :thanks: so much :)

Regards

Kevin

post-6-1065720038.jpg

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• SRC Member

I am using the stuff. I got it from the US.

It is basically borates/carbonates/bicarbonate salts (part A) and calcium chloride (part B). It works as advertised. It will maintain (or increase) your calcium and alkalnity levels without getting the balance out of whack and cause calcium precipitation.

There are several equivalent products that are available locally. The Kent brand can be bought from SL. I've also seen corallife brand being sold at OP.

• SRC Member

I am using it. Got it from US. Have not seen any local LFS selling.

For my cal/alk balance, I am doing this:

1. Dose B-Ionic. And if I am fed up with dosing or later, I will get a calcium reactor. Anywhere a calcium reactor is cheaper long term, but I am taking my time to learn about them before I invest.

AND

2. Drip Kalkwasser as part of water top up. Kalk is said to maintain the level. I am getting the auto top up unit from cookiemuncher/alvy shortly.

• SRC Member
I am using the stuff.  I got it from the US.

It is basically borates/carbonates/bicarbonate salts (part A) and calcium chloride (part B).  It works as advertised.  It will maintain (or increase) your calcium and alkalnity levels without getting the balance out of whack and cause calcium precipitation.

There are several equivalent products that are available locally.  The Kent brand can be bought from SL.  I've also seen corallife brand being sold at OP.

:thanks: for the reply. :) Are you solely using it as a main method of maintaining your cal/alk balance or is it a supplement?

I have heard rave reviews from some other reefers who are using it. I believe its strong point is its ease of use as there are no powders to be mixed (dose straight to sump/tank), and as you mentioned, it does not get the balance out of whack.

I am currently thinking of getting my friend in the US to buy it for me or order online. How did you get yours? Marinedepot is retailing it at US$8.99 for a 32 oz bottle.

• SRC Member
I am using it. Got it from US. Have not seen any local LFS selling.

For my cal/alk balance, I am doing this:

1. Dose B-Ionic. And if I am fed up with dosing or later, I will get a calcium reactor. Anywhere a calcium reactor is cheaper long term, but I am taking my time to learn about them before I invest.

AND

2. Drip Kalkwasser as part of water top up. Kalk is said to maintain the level. I am getting the auto top up unit from cookiemuncher/alvy shortly.

I have been looking around the local LFS for it but to no avail :nc: How did you get your supply? :)

I believe that using a calcium reactor is more cost-efficient in the long run. PLus you do not have to worry about dosing daily with a calcium reactor :)

Congratulations on being one of the lucky few to be able to get a set as I understand he is not doing anymore it for the time being :)

• SRC Member

I dont have enough room in my cabinet to accomodate a calcium reactor+co2 canister, so additives are the only viable alternative.

I plan on gettng more when I go to the US next week.

As I said before, you can try the other brands I mentioned that are available locally. I tried Kent before, and they seem to be the same.

BTW, have you tried the balanced one-part calcium additives before? Tropic Marin Bio-calcium is a good example. It comes in powder form, and they also work very well without unbalancing your system.