activated carbon

• SRC Member

Hi, i was thinking of adding activated carbon to my sump. I was wondering if i add in how much shld i add for a 2ftx1ftx1ft tank with a sump of same size.

After adding the carbon should i always have carbon in the sump or is it only for a while. Cos i am going to keep corals so was thinking if the carbon might absorb the essential elements needed for coral growth.

Many thx. :)

• SRC Member

carbon is to remove smells and toxic waste, and make your water clearer and cleaner.

1. See what kind of carbon you are willing to get, those "pellet" form, something like $3-4 for 500 g, those you will need to change more often, like once every week or two, just a bit of carbon will do, in fact a few tsp is fine for a nano tank like yours. If you are willing to get chemi-pure, or rowacarbon ;higher quality, can use for longer and more effective

2. Depends on what corals you are keeping, the needs are different, soft coral require iodine and iodide(another form of iodine), this gets removed by carbon, but if you do a weekly water change i dont see a problem, hard corals require calcium and carbonate hardness, this is untouched by carbon, but may precipitate on its own.

it is ok to have carbon in your sump all the time, just make sure it is in high flow area, if not the effectiveness will be diminished

• SRC Member
it is ok to have carbon in your sump all the time, just make sure it is in high flow area, if not the effectiveness will be diminished

must rephrase this..

Its ok to have carbon all the time but make sure its changed constantly. Carbon will leech if its used for too long.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

oft coral require iodine and iodide(another form of iodine), this gets removed by carbon, but if you do a weekly water change i dont see a problem

mind explaining how weekly water changes replenish these chemicals? does the salt mix contain iodine and iodide?

so if carbon removes iodine and iodide from the water.. then wouldn't the the water be removed of these chemicals even if its replenished with water change? will it help by dosing iodide?

or to have proper levels of trace and iodide in the water, we should not use carbon?

:peace:

• SRC Member

mind explaining how weekly water changes replenish these chemicals? does the salt mix contain iodine and iodide?

so if carbon removes iodine and iodide from the water.. then wouldn't the the water be removed of these chemicals even if its replenished with water change? will it help by dosing iodide?

or to have proper levels of trace and iodide in the water, we should not use carbon?

:peace:

I think he means sald water change. Yes, there are trace elements and iodine in most salt mix. Then again it all depends on the brand of salt.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/