Weipro 2011 + External Pump

brittlestars

• SRC Member

I'm comtemplating a Weipro 2011 for my 2nd tank (a 1 ft nano). My plan is to hang it behind the tank and use a external pump instead.

Would appreciate if anyone could help me with these questions:

- Is an external pump possible for use with 2011? Any recommended pump brand?

- Is it more noisy with pump outside tank?

- Would external pump affect skimming performance?

Thanks guys! :D

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Yes its possible to connect an external pump. I connect mine to a cannister filter.

However you just need to consider a "wet weather" plan just in case it leaks :)

Reliable brands like ehim, etc... are silent and does not have too much noticable vibration. As long as u consider the "H"eight performance of your pump, plus compensate the head loss of pipings if u are using them and provide an acceptable flowrate, u can still mantain ur performance.

However, air suction sound is quite noticable imo.

HTH...

Rgds,

Morpheous

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

Hi Brittlestar,

Other than having a sump, I would have recommend cannister filter for your setup. I don't really like hang on filters as some of the U joints are inaccessible.

Imo, I would have prefer to do filtration first before performing the skimming. Anyway, are u refering to a sump or something else? You can buy PVC pipings to connect to the skimmer( As seen in the picture). 1/2 " diameter if i am not wrong. Another easier way is to buy a reducer fitting and use a hose to connect it directly to ur filter. But to play safe, at least use a cable tie to fasten the tubings and put silicon on your movable pipes on the 2011.

Things do happen when its least expected :shock:

post-17-1150301779.jpg

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

Wow thanks a lot for the pic! Helps a lot. I guess from your pic, it seems that the outlet pipe is movable to either side right?

My nano is only 1 ft long so too small for a canister filter. My idea is to skim first and let skimmed water flow (to skimmer's side) into a hang on filter (instead of tank).