Beaver's New Dam

beaver

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers,

After several heart-breaking attempts to re-introduce corals to my old tank (which has been a fish-only tank for a few years), I finally dedcided to give it another try...I had even hardy mushies melt literally overnight in my last few attempts! :(

After mixing new water for 1 week and cycling the tank with 30kg of figi liverocks for 3 weeks, I went to a LFS yesterday and bought a 2-inch regal tank, skin polyps, hairy mushrooms and supersun corals. Yes, gorgeous supersuns (2 big heads and 2 small ones). On my way home, I was hesitating whether was i too impulsive to get sunnies for a new set-up.

However, I was greeted with a pleasant suprise when the sunnies were in full blossom just 5 hours into the tank! Success finally! Yippee! :lol:

The skin polpys are totally opened up this morning and the regal tang is happily taking pellets. Ironically, only the mushies are not opened yet. Well, at least they are not melting!

A pix of my tank with liverocks only.....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But your new pix a bit small lah... try 600 pixels (horizontal)... that's what I usually use for my thread. Perhaps we can get the mod to help you resize ur first posting :lol:

Keep on coming... love those Fiji Branches... must've cost a bomb :nuke::nuke::nuke:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
But your new pix a bit small lah... try 600 pixels (horizontal)... that's what I usually use for my thread. Perhaps we can get the mod to help you resize ur first posting :lol:

Keep on coming... love those Fiji Branches... must've cost a bomb :nuke::nuke::nuke:

Thanks Jevis bro. Sorry, new to this lah. I will try to fiddle with the size..Yup, these 30kg figi LR which I got from Coralfarm cost close to $500...heartache but I love the purple coralline algae. Good service from Coralfarm - they even help me to aquascape (dry run of course) and email the pix to me. The rocks are totally cured, no stench and no nuisance hitchhikers...

:)

• SRC Member

A little overview of the specs of my tank:

3 x 2 x 2, IOS

MH hamp - 150watts

Actinic blue flouresecent

Protein skimmer (can't remember the brand)

Use Kent Marine GAC and Rowaphos

Water parameters:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - <0.03mg/l

Nitrate - about 5ppm

Calcum - 470

pH - 8- 8.3

DkH - 10

Didn't measure the others chemical/element level..what else are important?

Wah... first class water parameters lor... not bad for a new tank :lol::lol::lol:

Well what's missing in the list are:

Sg (Salinity)

Temperature

Phosphate (very important)

Magnesium (good to know)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Wah... first class water parameters lor... not bad for a new tank :lol::lol::lol:

Well what's missing in the list are:

Sg (Salinity)

Temperature

Phosphate (very important)

Magnesium (good to know)

hmmm...I knew I forgot something! Thanks for the reminder :)

PO4 - 0 - 0.01 ppm

Temp - 26 - 27 (Resun chiller CL650)

SG - 1.022

Bro we also call your skin polyp GSP = Green Star Polyp... they require moderate to strong light and medium to strong current.

• SRC Member

imho i think 1 wk a bit early to start stocking up so much... noticed that the nitrites still present, so wud be better to wait a little while more b4 adding any more new stuff in. Great looking tank in the making man....

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
imho i think 1 wk a bit early to start stocking up so much... noticed that the nitrites still present, so wud be better to wait a little while more b4 adding any more new stuff in. Great looking tank in the making man....

Huh? No lah, it's been cycling with LR for 3 weeks already...in total 4 weeks since I've started. Thanks for the compliments. I will post some more pix when there are new additions....

• SRC Member
Bro we also call your skin polyp GSP = Green Star Polyp... they require moderate to strong light and medium to strong current.

Thanks for the info, bro! :) They sure are stunning! Love the lush look.Reminds me of carpet glass.

Thanks for the info, bro! :) They sure are stunning! Love the lush look.Reminds me of carpet glass.

And they can grow and grow and cover your entire LR :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Can't wait for that day to happen man!

It will happen... with your kinda setup and passion... if it doesn't happen... then something very wrong already :lol::lol::lol: Perhaps you gotten a "dwarf" specimen :P

Hahaha... I dare to say that coz I've seen simple setup with thriving GSP... so yours... aiya simply double in size within 3 months :lol::lol::lol:

What r u planning to add next? Those Fiji/Tonga branches u got there... pretty hard to put corals there lor... maybe you can try something... use epoxy... stick some small colonies of zoos and mushrooms there... within 2 months, the Zoos will spread all over... very natural looking... I am trying it now :lol:

• SRC Member
Hahaha... I dare to say that coz I've seen simple setup with thriving GSP... so yours... aiya simply double in size within 3 months :lol::lol::lol:

What r u planning to add next? Those Fiji/Tonga branches u got there... pretty hard to put corals there lor... maybe you can try something... use epoxy... stick some small colonies of zoos and mushrooms there... within 2 months, the Zoos will spread all over... very natural looking... I am trying it now :lol:

Wow! I really hope that will happen :)

I was planning of placing some LPS like hammer, frogspawn & Octo on the figi branches..I hope they will look natural..what do u think?

I was planning of placing some LPS like hammer, frogspawn & Octo on the figi branches..I hope they will look natural..what do u think?

It can be quite hard to make your hammer looks natural on your Fiji branches IMO... You need something that will spread evenly on the branches (since you spent so much money on them) and not cover it completely. A Hammer/Frogspawn/etc. can cover your entire top portion within months... so you will hide your branches completely :(

As always... you can still explore a bit before settling down... by month #3, you will more or less know what/how you wanna keep your corals for the coming year or so :)

• SRC Member

It can be quite hard to make your hammer looks natural on your Fiji branches IMO... You need something that will spread evenly on the branches (since you spent so much money on them) and not cover it completely. A Hammer/Frogspawn/etc. can cover your entire top portion within months... so you will hide your branches completely :(

As always... you can still explore a bit before settling down... by month #3, you will more or less know what/how you wanna keep your corals for the coming year or so :)

Yah, think I will see what other options...Hmm..my hairy mushies are still looking pretty shrivelled since Sat (17/06/06).. :(

post-34-1150810396.jpg