Pump for chiller cl280

redlace

hi bros out there,

Anyone can advise me what flowrate is best to run my resun chiller cl280.

Would like to upgrade my pump coz the one i am presently using rite now is a 1100 l/hr which seem to be not powerful enuf to cool my nano 24g. The chiller 'kick' in and 'out' quite oftenly.

cheers :thanks:

• SRC Member
hi bros out there,

Would like to upgrade my pump coz the one i am presently using rite now is a 1100 l/hr which seem to be not powerful enuf to cool my nano 24g. The chiller 'kick' in and 'out' quite oftenly.

the pump is more then enough to chill ur tank...mine is less then tt...check on wad temperature u are setting and wad kind of lightings u are using...

sometimes..it is nt because of the flowrate tt kicks in so often...its cos of the heat tt is contributed by the equipments..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

hi bros out there,

i think the rec pump for that chiller is 900l/hr if i am not wrong as i am using that chiller as well.

if the chiller kick in and out very often , it could ba a sign that ur flowrate is not enough.

depending on head loss.. i used to use indra sicce which is rated 1300l/hr, have the same problem because sicce have high head lost. in the end went for extrema ... the problem is solved . actually how accurate is the pump rated is also very important.

as of now , i am using eheim 2026 external canister for the chiller which is rated 980l/hr and i find it generally acceptable for CL280.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

I am using a CL650 and my pump rate is not more than 500l/h :o:shock: ...... I notice the frequent kick in and out too.......

Saw the instructions for my chiller for flowrate between 900 to 2500l/h......think will change to at least a 2300l/h rated pump after reading this thread!!! <_<:nc::)

• SRC Member
as of now , i am using eheim 2026 external canister for the chiller which is rated 980l/hr and i find it generally acceptable for CL280.

Hi Hammy,

Do you mean that your canister outlet is running into chiller's inlet? That means you're not using another separate pump to run the chiller?

Also, if above is workable, are there any disadvantage of above set up vs getting a separate pump for chiller? I mean would I get slower flowrate because head loss, etc?

Just checking because I'm exploring a chiller for my tank which is running a canister set up. I prefer not running another separate pump for chiller actually.

Thanks in advance Hammy!

Hi Hammy,

Do you mean that your canister outlet is running into chiller's inlet? That means you're not using another separate pump to run the chiller?

Also, if above is workable, are there any disadvantage of above set up vs getting a separate pump for chiller? I mean would I get slower flowrate because head loss, etc?

Just checking because I'm exploring a chiller for my tank which is running a canister set up. I prefer not running another separate pump for chiller actually.

Thanks in advance Hammy!

yup u are right that my canister outlet goes into my chiller inlet and no separate pump is required. This is better as the canister helps to filter the water and prevent larger debris from entering the chiller which will eventually clog up the chiller.

of course with higher head, ur flowrate will be slower, so do make sure that your canister have a high head. eheim 2026 have a max head of 2 metres.

disadvantage :

i am a very lazy person. i dun like to clean canister. and even with the pro 2 series , i still find cleaning a hassle. but if u allow the canister to build up, ur nitrate will increase significantly. clean at least once a month. =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10