help needed on new setup

chrislzh

They don't call it ANN cycle for nothing... hahaha... actually the process you are going through is called Live Rock Curing... and it is a horrible thing to do... for my new tank, I will cure it at the LFS curing tank... then bring home :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

If the worms are white and looks like a white thread, most likely they are bristle worms. U can leave them be cos they wun post alot of harm. Maybe just a little unslightly. Later can add in some LS which eats them.. :D

• SRC Member

keep an eye out for that cuke... if that one dies, will give additional prob .. not just ammonia but oso some poison ... btw any other livestks in there?

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

brother i dun think you need to get so excited abt the yellow water...

Cos i believe that those are the remaining stone and etc from your LR...

how clean it is...or how cured they are when you first put in the LR will always be like that.

You have the make the water inside your tank circulate.. and your protein skimmer have to start running

inorder to have clear water u need to use carbon.

How fast the water turns clear all depends on how many times your tank water is being turned over...

• SRC Member

ok.. thanks bro.. sorry i am new in marine... i was thinking, if i change the water 100%, will it helps to condition, as the water will not be so yellowish and i will continue to cycle from there. the only thing i am worried is just one of my friends told me if i let the water to remains like this, soon my rocks will becomes dead rocks also.. and i have to throw them away.

• SRC Member

can ask you are using premix salt or you get the sea water from LFS??

I think now the circulating and the skimming is more important first and you will see if the condition improve...

But if you now that if the nitrate is extremely high then will be advise to change the 100 % as there is still no LS yet.

Of course to restart every thing now is still the most easy way out..

• SRC Member

i think that explain where the yellow water come from...

You have to do the following now.

1) circulate the water

2) on your skimmer

3) use carbon

your cloudy water will be gone very fast.

It will still be best to have your own test kit for a start and buy salifret which so fast i think is really accurate.

• SRC Member

i on my skimmer le, use 2 bags of carbon le, 2 wavemaker inside.... but doesnt seems to help much these 2 days... have been starting to cycle for 4 days le.. will my rocks be affected..? if i change 100% water with live sea water with LFS, will it shorten my cycle period..?

• SRC Member

haha.. its ok.. i also blur myself.. thanks for your help bro... i was wondering what will happen if the worms dies and decay.. cos my scraping is the hawaii style... all the way up... the parts behind the rocks i cant go to that area.. is it ok if theydecay?

• SRC Member

:D:D

Bro, i think you will have to perform some water change. maybe 20% every other day....

for the recycling period, maybe you can stick to NSW, but when the cyle period is almost done, graudually change to salt.

your tank water is not natural, try washing the filter wool every other day.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014