ATI Threadwheel

acontia

u're really sick dude. i just don't believe u can say something like that.

i'm not as sick as u.... i'll prefer mine in a tank full of red belly pirahna.. wahhhaaa...hahahhaaa

oops so sorry everyone, just lost control of MYSELF. hope the censorship board don't see this. surely kenna censor sia... too gruesome

Yeah you are sick bro :sick: At least my Black Tips will not consume those pretty babes... just caress them :eyebrow: But your Pirahnas :shock:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update.

hi all, didn't get any updates from the fellow reefer with the new wheel. so don't quite know how it's performing there. it running on a Macro skimmer body, i think the model is 350 that comes with it's own NW. he did mention to me the other day that it performs way better then the Marco NW but still can't tell as skimmer might still be breaking in. it running as a secondary skimmer. he's primary skimmer is still currently competing for surfactant with the threadwheel's.

i've been testing the new wheel on my own, and like i said there seems to be more turbulance in the upper half of the skimmer body (no chages done to body). what i found now is that this slight turbulance has cause the foam to be slightly unstable and might be counter productive. i believe that running the newer wheel (those with the pins and cuts) might need something to slow down the swirling inside the skimmer body. the bubbles produced by this threadwheel is so fine and light that it gets bump around very easily, those bubble diffusers would be good for this job......sigh.. i might need to cut the crash test dummy up afterall.

DAMN!

it might be good to use a wider body if theres no diffuser but still use the down tubes within the body to create less turbulance. if use small DI body then a bubble diffuser would really improve this newer hybrid wheel.

i was able to find a source for stainless still pins that are 1mm DI.

any of u out there think i'll be OK to use as brush/needle wheel pins? i think it's 304 stainless steel. it's much cheaper then those titanium pins that i've found. much mcuh cheaper.

I assume you are talking about the reaction on RC to the idea of you not providing the name of the material used on the wheel.  I agree that there were some ugly things said.  I myself have no problem reading and researching.  It is a problem of not having the particular book you are referring.  Also, I am not inclined to spend 20 plus dollars US to find out.  The book is a fine reference point for someone getting started in reefing.  I have past that stage 10 years ago.  So I don't want to purchase a book that I have no need for. 

I suppose that it was my fault since I posted pics of the material to find out if someone could identiy it.  I had no intention of flaming when i did so, just saving money on a book purchase!  I apologize..

Hi smjtkj

send you pm

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

it's been a long time seens i update anything. well nothing much to undate anyway.

skimmer is still performming like it should. didn't have much trouble cleaning the wheels as it's not really dirty even after running so long.

i've made a recirculation skimmer 8" body 24" tall with a 4" riser neck by 6" tall. running with a Eheim 1262 with threadwheel for the recirulation and a eheim 1260 with threadwheel for supply. boy this skimmer can skim. u need to pour juice in keep the skimmer going as it takes a really short time to get those shit out. 1 problem i did notice in this skimmer is the riser neck. i wanted to make it similar to ATI BM but did know how i'll perform until now. u can never get skimate like those Deltec as the the risers are way tooooooo tall and wide. u will be better off using a 3" riser thats about 6-8 " tall to get goo out into the collection cup or use the ball valve to regulate the water height with the riser. the ATI don't have any valve, it'll be a good idea if they look into it.

i toyed with the RJ GG wheel from RC and it works well too, but too turbulant and bubbles are not that fine. i think those are better for insump model where u need to push against pressure, but will really need the diffuser to mellow those bubbles.

i'm very disappointed with review thread over the ATI BM by AJ. that thread has turn into a nightmare. shame on all those that have been involve.

i'll post pics of the my new recirculation skimmer later when i have more time.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
They started with:

Eheim 1260 consuming 49W producing 2000 ltrs of air per hour

Right now:

Eheim 1262 consuming 80W producing 3000 ltrs of air per hour (sorta verified by AcidJazz's BM as his air flow meters shows a constant max at 2500 ltrs, I will try to get hold of a digital air flow meter).

I relooked AJ's BM thread and found that his flowmeter has readings in L/min. His readings looks like 24 near 25 to me. Assuming 25L/min, that is 1500L/hr for 1262, much lower that the 3000L/Hr ATI claims. Maybe you guys wanna double check.

hi all

seems like many of those still keen in this DIY just can't find the answer to the material.

the thread wheel is using Enkamat. its not those DLS material some ppl are using. this Enkamat is use for concreate fabrication (artificial rock wall for ponds and gardens) and are much stiffer then those DLS.

it comes with the mat alone not with filter wool backing. DLS can be bought from aquaticecosystem. they might work but is not as stiff.

pvc or nylon netting can also be used, in RC they call it guttergut wheel and works quite well too.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Acontia.

I'm so inspired by your DIY protein skimmer that I've decided to try it out.

Juz happened that a friend gave me a DYMAX protein skimmer with a pump rated at 1200L/hr and I decided to modify it.

The only material I can find at home that resembles the threadwheel is the green japanese mat filter ;) so I cut away 2/3 of all sides of the impeller and use my wife's sewing kit to tie the japanese mat filter to the impeller.

Once the japanese map is secured to the impeller, I use a scissor to trim the sides so that it can fit nicely into the pump.

Next I fired up the skimmer and to my pleasant surprise, the bubbles that it produced were so fine and dense :) ( ok .. compared to my existing weipro 2013 and the 'before' performance of the dymax protein skimmer )

Here's a pic of the dymax skimmer in action

post-9-1162572158.jpg

I'm leaving the skimmer to run overnight and will check tomorrow if it will produce any good skimate. I set it to skim wet.

I'm juz pleasantly surprise that the bubbles produced are so fine and dense with the green japanese mat filter :D

Will take photo of the modified impeller when I take the pump out to check if the japanese mat filter will disintegrate when left spinning for a few days.

• SRC Member
hi all

seems like many of those still keen in this DIY just can't find the answer to the material.

the thread wheel is using Enkamat. its not those DLS material some ppl are using. this Enkamat is use for concreate fabrication (artificial rock wall for ponds and gardens) and are much stiffer then those DLS.

it comes with the mat alone not with filter wool backing. DLS can be bought from aquaticecosystem. they might work but is not as stiff.

pvc or nylon netting can also be used, in RC they call it guttergut wheel and works quite well too.

cheers

any idea where to get this Enkamat or PVC/Nylon mat?

Hi Acontia.

I'm so inspired by your DIY protein skimmer that I've decided to try it out.

Juz happened that a friend gave me a DYMAX protein skimmer with a pump rated at 1200L/hr and I decided to modify it.

The only material I can find at home that resembles the threadwheel is the green japanese mat filter ;) so I cut away 2/3 of all sides of the impeller and use my wife's sewing kit to tie the japanese mat filter to the impeller.

Once the japanese map is secured to the impeller, I use a scissor to trim the sides so that it can fit nicely into the pump.

Next I fired up the skimmer and to my pleasant surprise, the bubbles that it produced were so fine and dense :) ( ok .. compared to my existing weipro 2013 and the 'before' performance of the dymax protein skimmer )

Here's a pic of the dymax skimmer in action

yo lancez

i'm glad i inspired u, but now u have inspired me. (green japanese mat filter) :lol:

pls do update fo test. all the best dude

;););)

Cool

u can order direct ffrom the US on Aquaticecosystem. :D

cheers

• 3 weeks later...