Argh..my 3 weeks old royal gamma has died on me.

chrislzh

• SRC Member

May i know what might be the reasons why my royal gamma died.. has been with me over 3 weeks.. thought it was stable le.... sigh... found out that my small fishes don't really survived in my tank, while the bigger fishes are ok... all the fishes is reef safe and don't fight with each other... sigh... help me out... going crazy soon.. don't want to buy expensive fish le

• SRC Member

sori to hear that bro ... things like this happens sometimes but if theres a tendency for smaller fishes to die in your tank, maybe it cud be bullying by the bigger ones or perhaps u hv some crabs hidden in yr rocks? Just geussing tho

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

its very hard to totally get rid of crabs ... when i see them i take out my bbq skewer ...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

guys, its very UNLIKELY that crab can be the main culprit. Unless its much bigger then the fish.....for your case, for a crab to be able to attack and kill a royal gama, it has to be at least 3-4 inch big!!!

imagine this, if you are sleeping and a dog bites you....you would likely to be woken up and kick at the dog/run away before it can eat you....same thing for the fish....unless the crab is significantly large that it could grab and hold on to the fish with its pincher, its unlikely it will be able to kill an otherwise healthy fish....also crabs like other animals will go for easy food rather then something it has to fight for....so likely, going for detrits, pods, algae, fish pool, left over food etc, rather then a live fish that it will have problem with - heck, your corals will probably be in more danger then your fish...its the law of nature, each animals are evolved to make the best use of avialable energy..... ;)

look for other cause, water parameter, lack of a proper enviroment (for example, some fish needs sand bed), feeding, ich, stock selection, proper accemilmtie....etc.....

(PS: i had a super large 4 inch hariy crab in my old setup before, but my fishes, even those below 4 inch has never been killed before)

• SRC Member

If the died fish has been eating well and active, then all of sudden died within few weeks inside tank, do not rule out it was cyanide-caught, ie., poisoned.

As some above pointed out, it is not likely that a healthy fish can be attacked by crabs or other slower predators. Fish that were attacked by bigger or aggressive fish then to hide until you might not see it after a long period of time, maybe carcass never to be found :( .