Will direct UV light harm corals??

borinz

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Yesterday went sim lim n bought a CPU Light for night viewing of my tank.

It comes with alot of colours and i bought 1 which is UV colour.

Just to check if i shine directly into my tank will it harm my corals?

• SRC Member
doesnt corals produce those luminous colors because the protect themselves from uv, no? :nc:

bro this i am not sure also... but wat i wish to find out was whether the light i bought(which is meant for CPU) and it stated 'UV' colour, will harm corals anot??

is the light same as those used for UV filter??

UV rays are very harmful to human eyes and there are several cases that causes human eyes to become blind. If it is really UV tube, there will be a label stating keep out of human eyes when operating. Definately not suitable to put it barely, if not who will get a UV sterilizer for $100 ++ right? Btw I don't understand why you want to use UV light to shine on your corals? For photosynthesis? You will bleach them bro. If you wish to sterilise your tank water with UV ray, you need to get a UV steriliser, if not it won't be effective.

• SRC Member

erm... i wan to use it for night viewing purpose. i buy this colour because i saw it was very dim n wun shock the corals when i switch it on. As for y i choose 'UV' colour because the corals colour will glow haha.. but there is not sign saying 'keep out of human eyes'. Anyway the light is called Cold Cathode Lamp.

• SRC Member

ya UV light kills everything in its way

Whoa! If it kills everything in its way then why do manufacturers sell them to the industry irrespective of marine or tropical fish keeping or even for pond. :lol:

Can enlighten me as I think I am missing something here? ;)

• SRC Member

Hi borinz,

the UV light you bought is only a decorative CPU light, and it should be either a very weak UV lamp or just a color that the manufacturer calls UV.

Ultraviolet light sterilizes by damaging the DNA of cells. However, a sufficiently high intensity found within the UV sterilizer is required to actually do enough killing.

Pls la, normal sunlight already contains quite a lot of UV and it's nonsense to say that it kills everything in its way. Yes it can kill, but you need strong enough UV.

So go ahead and shine away and enjoy your tank's nightlife :lol: . If that little UV really hurts (assuming that it is really a UV light and not some decorative neon color) then reflected sunlight on your tank would be killing your corals left and right already. :erm:

• SRC Member
Hi borinz,

the UV light you bought is only a decorative CPU light, and it should be either a very weak UV lamp or just a color that the manufacturer calls UV.

Ultraviolet light sterilizes by damaging the DNA of cells. However, a sufficiently high intensity found within the UV sterilizer is required to actually do enough killing.

Pls la, normal sunlight already contains quite a lot of UV and it's nonsense to say that it kills everything in its way. Yes it can kill, but you need strong enough UV.

So go ahead and shine away and enjoy your tank's nightlife :lol: . If that little UV really hurts (assuming that it is really a UV light and not some decorative neon color) then reflected sunlight on your tank would be killing your corals left and right already. :erm:

Thank bro!!

hmmm think u really have a point there... haha am going to start shining it tonight!! thanks!!