File fish

It's a coral obligate. Meaning that it survives by only eating the polyps of SPS corals.

Sadly, that means it's highly unsuitable for reef tanks as it will starve to death if a hobbyist buys them.

I still wonder why the LFS bring them in... only newbies will buy them out of ignorance or lack of research. Not directly saying you, qtrigger... ;) but... it's too late anyway since you bought it already. You can try your luck with brineshrimp... you may turn out extremely lucky? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I live in the katong area. Did notice that in recent days, most LFS around here stocked up on filefish.

Pity those poor things ...

katong area? which LFS u go to? is it that one next the parkway 7-11 or isit the marine parade market area that one(near the cake shop and the bookshop and the laundry shop) or is there another LFS? the one near 7-11 seems more careful on the fishes it stock although there is very little marine fishes, the other one seems much more enthu. which might be a good thing or otherwise....hint hint....

sakura_japan.jpg

katong area? which LFS u go to? is it that one next the parkway 7-11 or isit the marine parade market area that one(near the cake shop and the bookshop and the laundry shop) or is there another LFS? the one near 7-11 seems more careful on the fishes it stock although there is very little marine fishes, the other one seems much more enthu. which might be a good thing or otherwise....hint hint....

Well, I don't go to any LFS in particular. But in Marine Parade, yes, there's the one near 7-11 and next to bike shop. I don't know of one "near the cake shop and the bookshop and the laundry shop". In Marine Crescent, there'a new one too near the police station facing the main road.

There are others in Katong, Joo Chiat, Siglap too. They are sprouting up like wild mushrooms ....

FF

Well, I don't go to any LFS in particular. But in Marine Parade, yes, there's the one near 7-11 and next to bike shop. I don't know of one "near the cake shop and the bookshop and the laundry shop". In Marine Crescent, there'a new one too near the police station facing the main road.

There are others in Katong, Joo Chiat, Siglap too. They are sprouting up like wild mushrooms ....

FF

the cake shop one is the one near the police post....yes, that is THE ONE, how do u find that shop? Katong joo chiat siglap? where got? i never see b4 leh

katong is along tanjong katong that road right? that one dun have much livestock... only got a lot of hardware right?

i know of another more 'secret' one, its in something like a abandoned factory near the foreign students hostel @ kallang area, i think @ tanjong rhu

know anymore that have a lot of livestock? and at least acceptable conditions?

sakura_japan.jpg

the cake shop one is the one near the police post....yes, that is THE ONE, how do u find that shop?

Oh, I walk by a lot as I live around there ... Not exactly friendly, little LS, mostly corals (but not nice), expensive! Their display tank is grossly overstocked. Boy, that angel's living in a toilet bowl and a newly added powder brown's developing ick ....

Katong joo chiat siglap? where got? i never see b4 leh

katong is along tanjong katong that road right? that one dun have much livestock... only got a lot of hardware right?

Katong - Kwang's at Crane Rd - some don't think much of them, but I've purchased only two fish from them so far and both are thriving and growing well in my FOWLR. Oh, and they have filefish regularly too ... Then there's Reef Aquarius at Koon Seng. That's where I bought the smallest Mandarin I can find and it eats blood worm and mysis too!

Siglap - eaquarist, behind the Caltex station (7% discount if you drive and don't go to Bukit Timah Rd a lot)). Friendly bunch of young people running the show. Reasonable pricing.

Katong - yes along Tanjong Katong Rd (haven't been there) and Marine Pets at the building next to Katong Shopping Ctr.

i know of another more 'secret' one, its in something like a abandoned factory near the foreign students hostel @ kallang area, i think @ tanjong rhu

I think you're refering to the old Aquatechnique (or something like that) office. They've moved and they do mostly setups rather than retail business.

know anymore that have a lot of livestock? and at least acceptable conditions?

My vote will go to eaquarist then.

Have fun!

FF