Newbie question on Starting New

Caleb

• SRC Member
I've never done a UGF before.. therefore this is a first for me.

haha most people start off with one and they are hurriedly advised to change it. it's more pain in the long run because you actually have to dig it up to clean it after a few months. You could always detach the pipe connecting the ugf to the OHF and stick on an intake and then it would function similarly to a plenum or dsb. Would collect way less dirt.

I was interested in the algae.. but actually more interested in keeping or at least trying to keep something 'green' in the tank.. any recommendation? I saw some kelp being sold in Irwana..

can just dump a small clump in, but it might look messy to you. Then again you can always remove it if you don't like it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sponges are actually filter feeders which means they filter out their food from the water.

The main causes of sponge death in captivity is the collection and transportation as there cannot be air bubbles trapped in the tissue as it causes a chain cell death starting from those around the bubble.

Another main concern is providing them with the food they require.

Here's something I wrote a while back

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...43928&hl=sponge

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Blueheaven,

wow! great write up.. well, I guess my dream of keeping a Sponge is dashed!! I wonder are they ever available in the LFS or shops?

Actually, I'm a Sponge Bob fan! :peace: and did you ever wondered why Sponge Bob had a sidekick Patrick (the starfish) and why Patrick always acted a bit dumb? :P You need to look into the biology of the Starfish! :P

I alrady have a starfish and I named him Patrick.. hoping that I can buy a "BOb" to keep him company.. kekeke... :yeah:

The tank that I have ... have pretty good flow in there... and I will know an ideal place to put Bob.. but the problem now is.. I dun even know if they are ever available...

If the sponge can't even have air in their bodies.. i suppose, live specimens have to be bagged in the water... that would be very tedious..

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

here is a picture of my setup.. as you can see the liverocks that came with the tank is HUMONGOUS!! :blink:

I would like to take a hammer and chisel it down to smaller sizes.. is it alright ?

Some of the them have got nice coralline algae on it.. but I suppose once the occupants get larger.. The rocks really have to be smaller.. and since the occupants are going to be venomous.. I'd rather do the rock formation now instead of later!

Any suggestions.. comments, MOST welcome! :lol:

post-6-1163943745.jpg

• SRC Member

A closer look at Patrick the starfish...

I'd really like to get a sponge for the tank.. anyone who has experience keeping one, of knows of a thread that talks about keeping them.. please link me! :yeah:

:thanks:

This live rock is the most CorallineD of them all... :P

post-6-1163943860.jpg

• SRC Member

These were the two lions that I took pictures with.. BTW.. all photographs so far that I have attached.. are by my N73... unbelievable! Love the clarity! :D

I believe the lion on the rite is a Volitan and the left is a Antennatta.

post-6-1163943954.jpg

• SRC Member

nice lionfish,

i do think you should reduce the amount of sand to increase the swimming space though and try to make sure the base of the rocks is in contact with the tank bottom and not the sand or the rocks may be unstable and collapse on your lions. just a suggestion.

you can try a blue sponge if you want but it may die over time.

ps that star is a chocolate chip and eats almost anything so do rethink if you ever intend to add corals.

• SRC Member

Hi HQX,

you can try a blue sponge if you want but it may die over time.

Would the lighting conditions for a sponge be the same as corals? And would I have to purchase the feed.. coral snow or something ?

that star is a chocolate chip and eats almost anything so do rethink if you ever intend to add corals.

Do you think the star will eat the sponge as well ? <_<

Yah.. gotta to agree with you.. the sand is alittle be too much.. its about 4 inches! I think got about 20 kilos of coral sand.. :blink:

And the Rocks are like around 15 kilos too! When I was transporting it.. I had to bring out the rocks and the half the sand.. else i think the tank will crack!

I will bring out some of the sand.. Maybe sent up another 2 footer tank! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Would the lighting conditions for a sponge be the same as corals? And would I have to purchase the feed.. coral snow or something ?

most are non photosynthetic and some to a small extent. don't worry, the photosynthetic ones require only a wee bit of light and yours will do. As for the feed, I think it's better to get bottled phytoplankton (like Kent Phytoplex) instead of those coral mixes. Or if you can pick up a $3 bottle of live phytoplankton from Petmart in serangoon and dose a little bit once in a while even better.

I really don't know about the star with the sponge, I went fishing once and caught a thirty cm long chocolate chip that ate the bait. -_-.

haha that sounds like a good idea. Try to skip the undergravel on the next one :lol:

• SRC Member

Hi HQX,

I bought a surface skimmer.... and I have a mind to, as what you have suggested in your previous replies, disconnect the UGF and instead have a surface skimmer and also another powerhead to take in midtank water.. having two outlets into an 2 tray OHF.. first tray white wool, second tray, lava rocks, CRs and Jap mat.. any comments ?

In the meantime, if I disconnect the UGF.. should I also dig up all that plastic stuff ? It'll make the tank all cloudy and gunky again! :(

• SRC Member

Got a newbie question ....

I have a considerable amount of zeolites which I used to remove ammonia from my fresh water tanks.. can I use these for marine water?

For freshwater, in order to recharge the zeolites.. it is to submerge it in salt solution... thus I am wondering if zeolites will prove to be good in marine water.

any comments? :thanks:

• SRC Member
These were the two lions that I took pictures with.. BTW.. all photographs so far that I have attached.. are by my N73... unbelievable! Love the clarity! :D

I believe the lion on the rite is a Volitan and the left is a Antennatta.

how much for the lionfish?

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member
Hi HQX,

I bought a surface skimmer.... and I have a mind to, as what you have suggested in your previous replies, disconnect the UGF and instead have a surface skimmer and also another powerhead to take in midtank water.. having two outlets into an 2 tray OHF.. first tray white wool, second tray, lava rocks, CRs and Jap mat.. any comments ?

In the meantime, if I disconnect the UGF.. should I also dig up all that plastic stuff ? It'll make the tank all cloudy and gunky again! :(

Sounds good! Oh, the lava rocks may be a bad idea. I think people were saying before that they cause the pH to become more acidic which is not good for a marine fish tank. I could be wrong.

There isn't really a need to dig up the UGF although it would provide some extra space in your tank. Actually, I find that with filter wool, muck clears up within an hour or three. Not really a problem.

I think the zeolite should be okay.

P.S. I hope you don't intend to do any rescaping with the lionfish in your tank, you do know that they're venomous right? Ouchie :lol:

• SRC Member

yup.. i dun intend to put my hands in when my lions are there... thus I am making absolutely sure that all pipe fittings are secure.. and also planning to make sure that any underwater activities that I might need to do can be modularised or minimised... a sting from a lion can be painful depending on your pain threshold and if you have any allergies to the toxins...

I've read up on the medical/emergency procedures that would be required if someone is dumb or foolish enuff to tempt fate.... apparently, its to flush the wound with hot water (as hot as possible, without scalding the victim) to dilate the venom... so that the system can carry the venom away...

I've been contemplating on whether to actually put the lions in... afterall, the last thing i wanna see, is a security guard lying on the floor next to my lion tank! :eyeblur: I understand the nite guards in my office are pretty nosy people! :evil:

Anyway, precisely this reason, that is why I have 2 sets of lights on the tank to act as covers... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

I have dismantled my UGF... and have taken bro HQX advice at removing some of the gravel.. because I also think that its a little too thick for my liking... Have also removed one mother of a Live rock.. now got more viewing and swim space for the lion that's gonna come in.. :rolleyes:

Whilst removing the gravel.. I found the carcass of the spotted cardinal... guess whose lunch it became ? :yeah: Patrick!! kekeke...

here's a picture of good ol' Patrick have a much deserved lunch and dinner.. and supper... and ... ahem.. it will take a long time... :whistle

Spent sometime in determining how the Surface skimmer will be attached... its ALL FALLING into place... :upsidedown:

Attached is a picture of Patty and his meal...

post-6-1164001360.jpg

• SRC Member

Some stuff that beginners should certainly buy..if they have setups that are not more than 3ft in size... get a spatula set from Ikea (only 90 cents), consists of a fryer, a spoon and a salad fork.. they're great for poking and shovelling gravel around or leveling... landscaping tools... a plastic measuring cup and plastic cups, for water parameter checking, mixing salt solutions... and another helpful thing is a strainer, to pour water into tank without disturbing the landscape.. the strainer can also double as a temporary quarantine for the fish, as the fish can be put in the strainer (yah, the strainer put in the tank)... strainer being made of plastic will float.

Attached is my re-landscaped tank... comments... advice.. all are welcome.. :lol:

post-6-1164002290.jpg

• SRC Member

which is more critical ? check PH or to Check NH3 and nitrates nitrites ?

My guess is Nh3 and nitrates and nitrites.. because if the salt concentration is rite (ie the hydrometer) then the PH should be spot on rite ?

Comments ? Advice ? :thanks:

• SRC Member

Today I brought the new powerhead to connect with the new surface skimmer.. and !! The pressure was not good enough.... <_<

Now I have to get connectors to connect up a more powerful powerhead... :angry:

Wah.. this setup is really taking alot of effort... to make matters worse... I cut my fingers while doing the live rocks.. now.. its hurts so much to work in the tank.. looks like it will have to wait till tomorrow.. or when my wounds heal.. :eyeblur:

Man... looks like I will have to wait a little longer before the lions can come in!! :pinch:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all,

Bad news.. I left the tank for 4 days.. and when I returned the squirrel fish died and now I am left with the chocolate chip star. :(

The tank had too much nutrients and lighting, brown algae was everywhere. I decided to get rid of more of the rocks.. the lesson taught me that the less I have, the easier to clean the tank. Plus I need to plan ahead on how to 'contain' the lions, when I need to do some tank work..

Got a couple of turbo snails now to accompany my star. Was trying to get hold of a brittle star, to do some housekeeping.

Attached is a picture of my new setup.

post-6-1164879223.jpg

• SRC Member

This is my new live rock. Can anyone help me to ID some of the stuff on it? I think its got some Zoos on it rite ? :blink:

Sorry very new at this coral stuff.. these are called soft corals rite?

I would like to know if my turbo snails will cause any damages to this live rock and its coral ?

I bought this from the uncle marine shop at Pasir Ris, many many things there to see.. and the live rocks are very nice... but uncle able haolian.. so didnt stay much to talk. Not a veri frenly chap, i guess i asked too many newbie question and he was only trained to deal with professional reef keepers. :erm:

Anyway, he told me that I needed to get a bottle of PHYTOPLankton.. looks to me like a bottom of green lokang water.. and it costs $6. Anyone used this before?

The challenges that I have been facing over the pass couple of weeks over this tank, really is causing me to think of a bigger project... :whistle

Too bad, I dun work in PSA.. else I would know what to do with that 6 months bonus!! :yeah:

post-6-1164880081.jpg