Help!! My fiish arent eating!!!

• SRC Member

Need advise brothers! :cry2:

My marine fish are not eating and are die-ing one after the other. My golden gilder then my tang fish.....next probably my mandrin and Ang go go. :cry: .......only the damsel are surviving....

I fed them with frozen Brine Shrimp & Marine Snow but only the damsel and cleaning shrimp been eating.

FYI, my marine tank is around 2 month old and is 2 X 1.5 X 1 ft . Water temo at 27-27.5 with a ViaAqua rnal canister and a cheap protein skimmer. Water condition I believe is pretty ok.

Anybody out there, any advise for me??? Dont dare to add more fishes.....

Best regards :thanks:

• SRC Member

Marine snow is for corals... not for fish :huh:

anyways... care to list down ur inhabitants? cos suspected overstocking..... esp when ur tank is relatively new :)

and btw, u shldnt assume water condition is gd..... :unsure: ... unless u routinely change water 10~20% every week n on the condition of not overstocking...

Some notes for you to consider:

1) No Tangs should be kept in any tank less than 4 ft regardless of size of fish. Tangs need lots of space to be happy.

2) Mandarins won't live long in a tank your size that is only two months old. They are very unlikely to feed on prepared food (despite what you may hear from others). You need to provide live food (but not BS) that may come when your tank is more than a year old. I waited two years before I added one 2 cm specimen last week. Even then I still try to entice it to take mysis shrimp.

3) Your damsels are aggressive feeders. I believe you probably used them to cycle the tank (which is absolutely unnecessary). It is likely your other fishes cannot compete with them for food.

4) Marine Snow is just water with nonsense in them. No value to fish and corals.

5) Personally, I would encourage you to dump your current tank and move up to a larger one, say 4ft. Larger tanks are move forgiving and you have more choices too. Your current tank can be a quarantine tank and this is where you keep new fish for between 4-6 weeks to make sure they don't carry any disease and that they are feeding before you introduce them to your show tank. Of course, they need to be accilimatised properly each time.

Your best bet is to read up more on fish compatibility, tank size and feeding habits before you spend anymore money. Free resources can be found in www.wetwebmedia.com, www.liveaquaria.com or search right here or at www.reefcentral.com

Have fun :D

FF

• SRC Member

:sick: Thanks Brother Fish Freak. Infor. noted. :heh: Wondering what I should do with the mandarin now :look: Looks like have to let nature go its course. :cry: By the way, awaiting approval to upgrade to 4ft leh :D

Brother clownfish, I have 1x 3 strip damsel, 1x yellow tail damsel, 1 mandarin, 1 anggogo, 3 cleaning shrimps, 1 star fish, 3 fan worms, button corals & mushroom corals....after my golden glider and clown tang died yesterday and the day before. The dead golden glider was so skinny when it died.

Just spent >200 bucks at sea life this afternoon for lights & test kit.

Result:

KH: 8.15

NH3: 0.2

NO2: 0.2

Salt 1.02

Wonder if this are alright? :unsure:

Anyway, can anybody advise what should I do with the ang go go??

• SRC Member
:sick: Thanks Brother Fish Freak. Infor. noted. :heh: Wondering what I should do with the mandarin now :look: Looks like have to let nature go its course.  :cry: By the way, awaiting approval to upgrade to 4ft leh :D

Brother clownfish, I have 1x 3 strip damsel, 1x yellow tail damsel, 1 mandarin, 1 anggogo, 3 cleaning shrimps, 1 star fish, 3 fan worms, button corals & mushroom corals....after my golden glider and clown tang died yesterday and the day before. The dead golden glider was so skinny when it died.

Just spent >200 bucks at sea life this afternoon for lights & test kit.

Result:

KH: 8.15

NH3: 0.2

NO2: 0.2

Salt 1.02

Wonder if this are alright? :unsure:

Anyway, can anybody advise what should I do with the ang go go??

No its not alright... your cycle is not completed... you still have NH4 and NO2 in your water.... that might be the reasons y your fishes "mati". :D

salinity also a bit off...

Suggest you rent an hotel for your fishes and let your tank finishes up its cycling...

Cheers..

:peace:

• SRC Member

Anggogo??? The polk-a-dot fish rite? I think u are refering to polk-a-dot sweetlips...

They are not reef safe and nips on live rocks, corals and yes, they grow up to more than 1 feet long! So definitely not for 2 ft... 4 ft either! They need lots of spaces...

Suggest u give that up...

• SRC Member

Is this your anggogo? They can become very big and need a 150 gal above tank!

Extracted:

The Spotted Sweetlips, also known as the Clown Sweetlips or Harlequin Sweetlips, changes color as it matures. As a juvenile, it has a brown base covered with large white dots with darker margins. As an adult, the body color changes to white with black dots.

A 150 gallon or larger aquarium is required due to its size and eating habits. It grows at a rapid pace to almost 3 feet in length. It needs a larger tank to provide it with ample swimming room and plenty of hiding places. If placed in a reef aquarium, the Spotted Sweetlips will eat smaller crustaceans, smaller fireworms, serpent stars, small snails, and polychaete worms.

When first introduced into the aquarium, it requires live food such as freshwater ghost shrimp, marine shrimp, or blackworms. Once it has acclimated, most marine carnivore preparations will be acceptable.

post-6-1066619778.jpg

• SRC Member

A clown tang?!?! Clown Surgeon are known to have difficulty adapting in captivity... they have a very low survival rate...

What kind of advice have u been getting, bro?

• SRC Member

i never had this prob as my fish eat like pigs but i've heard success in dipping food into garlic.

just like when we cook, garlic enhances the taste of food :P

sometimes, it's due to stress and once you have lower bioload with proper water parameters, things shd go well.

it takes time to learn what to keep and not to keep. now you've learnt about sweetlips, mandarin fish and tangs so do take note.

gd luck

• SRC Member

Yup...we learnt from mistakes... but what I can't stand are those unscrupulous LFS owners who try to pass u off buying a fish they know it's hard to keep...

I ever had an encounter where one LFS owner (those neighbourhood ones) who try to sell me a sweetlips by passing it off as a "special" clown... :angry:

Wonder why A*A is allowing so many license these days...

:off::off::off: