Hydor Performer 3000

jervismun

Hi guys

As predicted/expected... here's a new product review. Just got it installed yesterday... therefore will be updating very frequent for the next 2 weeks with loads of great pictures!!!

I believe, although Hydor skimmers are relatively new... most reefers had already gotten a good overview of what the brand stands for, wht the product is about, etc. And there are loads of information flying around the net and other forums.

Therefore, I shall not overlap the information too much to save your time and my time.

Besides sharing nice pictures, I will try my very best to answer questions regarding the protein skimmer and the brand behind it. Don't feel shy... although constructive/relevant questions are much more appreciated :bow:

I also notice that it is almost impossible to do a protein skimmer review without pulling in a few other brands/products as comparison... this is NOT ALLOWED here and I hope you guys will help me achieve a relatively peaceful thread.

Let's agree on this "Every product is good in its own rights, targetting to different reefers with different requirements and affordability".

Ok let the picture rolls :eyebrow:

post-14-1165626942.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, let me start off with something that is crucial to me when I look at a product... it's country of origin. Being there the same day the Hydor shipment arrives awarded me with great assurance... no question and doubt about it... the protein skimmer (alongside other products) are Made In Italy... direct from Milan to Singapore (DHL) :)

071201-1.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

As I am no expert... I will be quoting Hydor along the way... those information found on their WEBSITE will be in BLUE

071210.jpg

Hydor and Lgaquari, thanks to their wonderful cooperation, have created a new, complete range of skimmer that guarantees extraordinary performance.

Lgaquari Website (In Italian)

From Lgaquari's website, I found that they do have a similar line of product with Hydor... although Hydor Performer 3000 can be seen as an upgraded version of the Lgaquari LGs3000C... according to sources, Hydor acquired Lgaquari not too long ago :heh:

post-14-1165628039.jpg

Elegant and easy to use, the performer range is built with high precision cnc machined parts made with top quality materials guaranteeing safe and versatile applications in both marine and reef aquariums.

Now this is something that I would like to focus on... CNC Machined Parts... take the neck connector for example... it is being carved-out of a single block of PVC with the help of CAD... making the parts highly precise compared to hand-made.

071212.jpg

Look at the thickness!!! This piece of PVC is particular good to hold and to feel... definitely well-received by those reefers who appreciate quality finishing. If I am not wrong, only 1 other (luxury) brand skimmer currently utilizing this production method. And I heard the setting up of such system (both hardware and software) can be both costly and complex.

081207.jpg

The base of the collection cup also features the same CNC Machined PVC to able to achieve a PERFECT fit :eyebrow: The rest of the body uses Cast Plexiglass tubes 3-5mm (thickness)

081210.jpg

I am no technical expert (although I currently hold a degree in Product Design by Curtin :erm: )... this WEBSITE will give an introduction to CNC... easy enough to digest within minutes :eyebrow:

Some stats :yeah:

MODEL: PERFORMER 3000

HEIGHT: 63 cm

FOOTPRINT: 17 X 31 cm

HEAVY STOCKING: 3000 Litres

NORMAL STOCKING: 4000 Litres

FOAMING PUMPS: 3 X L45 SK (26W each)

WEIGHT: 14.5 kg

POWER CONSUMPTION: 26W x 3 = 78W (Roughly $10.00 a month)

PRICE: Check Here!

Thanks to the use of our new seltz pumps for skimmer with rotormix impellers, performer guarantees:

1. super efficient water circulation and foaming

2. disappearance of particulate matter

3. high air concentration in main chamber

4. very low noise level

5. low energy consumption

071209.jpg

Here's a closer look at the proprietory Rotormix Impeller... I find the 3 spikes/2 spikes arrangement rather interesting... believing in its ability to chop fine bubbles effortlessly. The pink is a little turn-off though :pinch:

071211.jpg

(Pix courtesy of Tangs, currently reviewing Hydor Performer 900)

The world’s most quiet skimmers (values measured at a distance of 80cm)

Flow regulation at completely open 39 db/partially closed 36 db

Well the above is quite a claim (don't you agree?) :erm: Will have to run it for a while in order to tell... this is one of the selling-point that draws my attention to Hydor.

As for the flow regulation (be it open fully or partially closed) doesn't affect the Performer 3000 as it is advised by Hydor to open fully the Venturi. I believe the Silencers (aka Spice Bottles) will further reduce the noise level.

081205.jpg

The Venturi tubes (3 in total) can be neatly cable-tied and run round the back of the main body connecting to the Silencers.

081204.jpg

And believe it or not... the product comes with a 24 months warranty against defects in material or manufacturing defects... by Hydor Italy... now that's a very good assurance :eyebrow:

Here's a feature I particular appreciate... not seen in many skimmers :) A very secure Water Discharge feature to enable easy drainage of chamber water.

081201-1.jpg

Washing the skimmer is so much easier now that I don't have to worry about removing the water by the usual way of overturning the entire skimmer :lol:

081202.jpg

Just another tiny feature that works!

Here are some basic dimensions... the main chamber is roughly 1ft in diameter.

081206.jpg

The collection cup is slightly less than 10" in diameter... seen here next to ATI BM 250's collection cup :)

081208.jpg

And this giant collection cup holds 4.5L (3 Evian bottles)

081209.jpg

• SRC Member
Some stats :yeah:

MODEL: PERFORMER 3000

HEIGHT: 63 cm

FOOTPRINT: 17 X 31 cm

HEAVY STOCKING: 3000 Litres

NORMAL STOCKING: 4000 Litres

FOAMING PUMPS: 3 X L45 SK (26W each)

WEIGHT: 14.5 kg

POWER CONSUMPTION: 26W x 3 = 78W (Roughly $10.00 a month)

PRICE: Check Here!

Actually why the pumps only x 3? We forgot about the main pump right? Its low powered alright but doesn't all of them still require an extra main pump?

BTW does it come with it? or just the re-circulating pumps?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Actually why the pumps only x 3? We forgot about the main pump right? Its low powered alright but doesn't all of them still require an extra main pump?

BTW does it come with it? or just the re-circulating pumps?

This is a recirculating-type protein skimmer therefore a feed is required.

However, a lot of smart reefers will feed the skimmer as part of the return (using gravity)... that's a good idea if you want to stick with the 26W x 3 equation... in this case... no return pump is required... just a ball valve and some pipings involved.

As for my case, I will be replacing my chiller feed pump, Aquabee UP3000 (45W) with an Aquabee UP5000 (75W)... T-off to the skimmer.

So yeah, for my case, I need to add 30W to the entire equation due to the lack of planning at the initial stage ;) 30W is around $4.50 a month :erm:

But if you are looking for a straight-forward all-for-one skimmer... the ATI Bubble Master is a very good example :lol:

Decided to change the original Venturi Tubes to a stiffer blue tubes... as I find the original tubes bendable (as shown in the picture)

081203.jpg

But please do not take it as a sub-standard tube that Hydor is providing... in fact, I've done a search on the original Rauclair™-E tubes and I am very impressed by my search results... I might change it back to Rauclair™-E if I manage to find more impressive facts about the product :lol:

But I don't suppose the Rauclair™-E can withstand Ozone... so beware for those using Ozone Generators.

post-14-1165718131.jpg

• SRC Member

repeat post.. can't find the previous one just now :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

Think you need to add in the power comsumtion of one more main pump for the calculation..  ;) .. it doesn't make sense to not include the main pump as the skimmer doesn't work without it.

Bro... I've already highlighted the issue (hopefully clear enough) 10 minutes ago :)

And if you notice... all recirculating-type skimmer manufacturer will not add in the main pump (in terms of power rating) as it is up to the reefer in the end to choose what kinda pump to go with... there are some German pumps that consume as little as 40W... there are some other cheaper alternatives that can consume as much as 110W.

And not forgetting the fact that I mentioned earlier... gravity feed is possible... which will equals to NO feeding pump required.

Same concept goes for chiller. You don't suppose a chiller manufacturer will also include in the Feeding Pump as part of the power consumption rating :lol:

• SRC Member

yeah saw your earlier post.. This forum has this funny refresh issue.. sometimes its almost immediate. Sometimes it just takes so long, I wonder if my post is there.

yeah saw your earlier post.. This forum has this funny refresh issue.. sometimes its almost immediate. Sometimes it just takes so long, I wonder if my post is there.

Yes I am facing that difficulty too...I thought it will only affect Macs running on Safari :erm:

Time for some major updating... fired up the Hydor this morning at 8.30am... and everything looks great... very promising... I purposely left the photographs with some extra info so that you guys can see the time the pix was taken :)

post-14-1165849860.jpg

That's pretty fast :lol::lol::lol:

post-14-1165849959.jpg

Decided to decom my old skimmer since the Hydor kicks-in so quickly... quite unbelievable actually :shock:

post-14-1165850073.jpg

After running for half a day... my Hydor Performer 3000 standing tall :whistle

The bubbles are still a bit coarse and sparse... will allow it to run-in for another day or two... will post another similar pix tomorrow so that you guys can see any possible improvements.

post-14-1165850258.jpg

Here's a movie showing the "twister" formation of the bubbles... the twisting effect is powered by 3 NW foaming pumps + Aquabee 2000i... all rotating in a single direction :eyebrow:

th_MOV00024.jpg

Needless to say... enjoy :P

th_MOV00023.jpg

LIVE UPDATE!!!

Ok after running for 24 hours... the bubbles are much finer :D

post-14-1165885310.jpg

Haha... I think my tank is running out of stuff to skim :lol:

post-14-1165885390.jpg