What is Mysis Shrimp?

I have been doing quite a bit of read up recently, however, I don't seem to get these question answers:

1. What is a Mysis Shrimp? I found this photo in one of the web site: http://frontpage.simnet.is/dna/Shrimp-6537.jpg, but still can't figure out what kind of shrimp it is. I think I read it from a Malaysia Forum that it can be bought in Wet Market, wonder what do you call them in Hokkien or Mandarin. How do you can them in Singapore?

2. How do you prepare them? Feed them in 1 whole piece?

I know by posting these question, I'm inviting Flaming, but please help me on these as I don't seem to find any good answers for these.

Thanks.

PS: I'm doing my research before deciding whether to start this hobby or not.

• SRC Member
Yes. It helps. Thanks.

One more question, why do some people soak the shrimps with garlic? What is the purpose?

to build immunity in the fishes.. just like garlic for humans.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Hi bro, it's not easy to get live mysis shrimps in Singapore, but almost all LFS do sell frozen mysis, and they don't cost much, one slab of about 24 cubes of mysis for $2. Try not to throw the whole cube into your tank, defrost them in a cup 1st, then use a net or something that can filter off the water for feeding, the water from the frozen cubes are extremely high in nutrients, please do not add any into your tank to avoid unwanted algaes growth.

Actually soaking food in garlic juice doesn't have to be shrimps always, it can be pellets, can be flakes.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want it to be more efficient, you soak the food that you wanted to feed your fish in a plastic cube, then freeze it, in this way, the food will absorb most of the garlic juice. If you want it to be fast, then just soak for about 10 - 15 mins, then feed it to your fishes. If there are remaining garlic juice ( probably used too much), don't pour the juice into the tank, wash them away through tap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just a remark, the garlic juice is not home-made garlic juice, k? :D U can buy bottle-ready garlic extract from brands like seachem in LFS (seachem brand is called garlic guard i think).

Oh, IMHO, the garlic actually doesn't have much use in building immunity resistance, ie against ich. BUT, garlic really temps the fish to eat the prepared food readily! (mayb it smells nice to them, and will increase their appetite)