Lion Den.. At last!

Caleb

• SRC Member

Finally were able to get the lions that I wan to keep!!

Can anyone tell me how I can post several pictures.. rather than one by one? :(

Anyway.. here goes...

Lion no1.. its a Fuzzy dwarf lion.. :D

post-8-1166008479.jpg

• SRC Member
fwah... RoooaaaaaaaaaRrrrrrrrr!! nice nice...

tempting tempting.....

anyway spotted 2x FMC @ IWarna yesterday....

hahaha... bro... those two are now in my tank now!! :lol:

What time were you there? I was there around 4 plus... when I saw them... I bagged both...

its been almost 24 hours now.. and they seem to be doing well... my antennata is also from Irwana... :D

Attached is one of the FMC... my (short) experience tells me that in order to see them in good health.. check up their top dorsal fins.. if the twitch (which is really fun to watch) they're pretty much in good shape...

post-8-1166062356.jpg

• SRC Member
Nice lions u have there. I bought one fuzzy too on sunday at ah beng's. where did u get yours?

Hi bro,

I bought mine from S.Formasa... what caught my eye immediately was the absosutely health state of it.. it was so :blink: (lost of words..) STEADY.. it was flurring its fins, its got all the access finnage of a fuzzy.. every spine of it dorsal had that 'mossy' look... PERFECT! ... :lol: knowing that S.Formosa was slightly expensive.. bargained abit.. and it was ok.. its actually a matured one.. its abourt 4-5 inches.. last time, he already whacked one molly!

From wat I read, Fuzzies are the easiest to tame.. and they can become very domesticated.. even to the extend of recognising the owner and 'begging' for food! :yeah:

Currently, its spend alot of time.. eyeballing me... which I absolutely enjoy! :lol:

Attached... Fuzzy on a rock!

post-8-1166062788.jpg

• SRC Member
BTW does your fuzzy lion's skin look smooth like the antenna? mine don't look smooth.

Hi bro,

this is purely my opinion... but my personal feelings about the fuzzies is that they are like 60% more like scorpions and 40% lions.. only their finnage is lion.. body type.. ie texture very much like Scorpions..

therefore.. to answer your question.. yes.. lion skin is not smooth.. needs to be rough looking.. 'mossy' looking... that's what I like to refer it as! :D

Be patient with it.. but spend lots of time staring at it.. if possible.. 'play' with it.. I dun mean poke it or stroke it! <_< but.. get a tweezer ( i have one!) and put a Mysis shrimp in front of it.. and 'tempt'... its a great way to wean them off live food and it also teaches them to recognise the 'master' and also feeding pattern.. :P

BTW.. where is this Ah beng's place? :huh: would like to visit this shop.

How's your antennata? Please post some pictures of your lion here as well.. :lol:

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

this is purely my opinion... but my personal feelings about the fuzzies is that they are like 60% more like scorpions and 40% lions.. only their finnage is lion.. body type.. ie texture very much like Scorpions..

therefore.. to answer your question.. yes.. lion skin is not smooth.. needs to be rough looking.. 'mossy' looking... that's what I like to refer it as! :D

Be patient with it.. but spend lots of time staring at it.. if possible.. 'play' with it.. I dun mean poke it or stroke it! <_< but.. get a tweezer ( i have one!) and put a Mysis shrimp in front of it.. and 'tempt'... its a great way to wean them off live food and it also teaches them to recognise the 'master' and also feeding pattern.. :P

BTW.. where is this Ah beng's place? :huh: would like to visit this shop.

How's your antennata? Please post some pictures of your lion here as well.. :lol:

i believe the shop u bought your fuzzy is ah beng's. i bought the smaller one there.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member
hey bro! super exotic! lion tank! hey full tank shot leh! show all of them living inside! *ROAR*

its only a humble 2 footer. The occupants are 2 FMCs, 1 Fuzzy and an antennata. 3 chromies, one brittle star and one radiating urchin, 3 turbo snails...

Right now.. the biggest contributor to the bioload is that Urchin.. it poo quite alot.. contrary to popular belief.. the urchin is actually quite a mover.. it moves faster than the star... My tank hasnt got quite a good floor space for it to free roam.. so to be fair to it.. I might want to let it go..

I use 2 filters, one canister (Eden) and an overhand one by Dolphin.

Attached is the picture of my tank which is only has blue light on, as I am feeding the lions.. very happy to see all my lions feeding.. somehow, I believe my fuzzy is going to be the happiest.. its starting to be more brazen and is swimming around more often... the rest of them still behind and under the rocks... :rolleyes:

In a matter of weeks, when all of them are more brazen, I will slowly remove the rocks.. for now.. its better to let them settle down..

post-8-1166149953.jpg

• SRC Member
i believe the shop u bought your fuzzy is ah beng's. i bought the smaller one there.

So how is the smaller fuzzy? Has it started eating ? This bigger one already ate about 4-5 mollies and this morning whacked 2 of the red plakats...wanted to get ghost shrimps.. but were not available.. heard from a fren I can actually get live sea water shrimps from tackle shops.. will hunt around .. :P

• SRC Member

So how is the smaller fuzzy? Has it started eating ? This bigger one already ate about 4-5 mollies and this morning whacked 2 of the red plakats...wanted to get ghost shrimps.. but were not available.. heard from a fren I can actually get live sea water shrimps from tackle shops.. will hunt around .. :P

i still left the fuzzy in betta box and i am feeding it with baby mollies on alternate days. The fuzzy i have has very blue eyes. When u found feeder SW shrimps must let me know.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

i still left the fuzzy in betta box and i am feeding it with baby mollies on alternate days. The fuzzy i have has very blue eyes. When u found feeder SW shrimps must let me know.

Bro Dom,

any reason why you put your fuzzy in a seperate tank? Is it too small to join the rest of your lions ?

Post your pictures leh.. would like to see your fuzzy...

Going to the tackel shop probably on monday... in the meantime... ghost shrimps will suffix...

You put your fuzzy in a seperate tank to train the feeding pattern is it ?

• SRC Member

i have release it into my tank. the reasons i put in betta are to get a good shot first before releasing and to see whether it is feeding or not.

here is my fuzzy. notice the skin, it is the same as yours?

post-8-1166324912.jpg

Current tank

Past tank

BLUE EYES :yeah::yeah::yeah: Can show us what you use for feeding? :eyebrow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

all lions are feeding very well now.. very happy! So far all on mollies and ghost shrimps.. will be getting some seawater critters tomorrow..

attached is a picture of 2 lions on perched on a stone...

My fuzzy looks exactly like yours.. only mine is alot larger.. the skin texture is the same.. but my fuzzy the eyes are like greyish cloudy.. maybe its the age? I dunno.. but I think its one of the healthiest of the all the lions..

please take a lot at my other lion in the picture.. its an antennatta.. does your antennatta has the white spot just behind the pectoral fin, like mine?

post-8-1166437056.jpg

• SRC Member
my antenna had up lorry liao. dun know wat happen to it. sad...

Got myself another lion today at CF. It is a FMC.

wow.. that's sad to hear. From what I understand about lions, (and this is from the LFS), is that important thing is to get a healthy specimen.. once they are healthy and eating... shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing is diet. Lions in the wild take on sea food, and now in captivity its fed mostly freshwater food. So I believe this needs to be done slowly.

I am still looking for a fifth lion to be added to my collection and then it shall be complete. Looking for a dwarf zebra. :lol:

Today, I had a terrible time with my tank, my urchin like kena possess like that! :eyeblur: it was all over the place and drop most of its spikes, I thought it was going to die... at the same time, it poo like no body business!! I had to do WC 30% twice! Morning and afternoon! The lions are ok though!

How big is your FMC? BTW.. FMC are also very tough to keep. That's why I one shot buy 2 pieces... :rolleyes: Also, I just learnt that FMC.. cannot put 2 pieces.. more than one piece, they will fight.. which is happening now. :blink:

where is CF ? Do they have any more lions there?

• SRC Member

wow.. that's sad to hear. From what I understand about lions, (and this is from the LFS), is that important thing is to get a healthy specimen.. once they are healthy and eating... shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing is diet. Lions in the wild take on sea food, and now in captivity its fed mostly freshwater food. So I believe this needs to be done slowly.

I am still looking for a fifth lion to be added to my collection and then it shall be complete. Looking for a dwarf zebra. :lol:

Today, I had a terrible time with my tank, my urchin like kena possess like that! :eyeblur: it was all over the place and drop most of its spikes, I thought it was going to die... at the same time, it poo like no body business!! I had to do WC 30% twice! Morning and afternoon! The lions are ok though!

How big is your FMC? BTW.. FMC are also very tough to keep. That's why I one shot buy 2 pieces... :rolleyes: Also, I just learnt that FMC.. cannot put 2 pieces.. more than one piece, they will fight.. which is happening now. :blink:

where is CF ? Do they have any more lions there?

CF = Coral farm at lim chu kang. THey have several lions of differnt types. they dun call it FMC, they call it as two feelers.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member
i think FMC is a very slow swimmer. i think my fmc might have problem getting food.

i agree with you... therefore you gotta ensure it is able to get its fair share of food. BTW...my Fuzzy confirm have black eyes..