what are the tell tale signs of stray current

Kojek

test with a "test pen" - A screwdriver with a light bulb in the handle (<$3 from DIY shop). It doesn't come with instructions, in case you're not familiar with it: Touch the rear end of the handle and dip into the tank. If it lights up = there is electric current.

If there is any faulty equipment that is causing this, replace/repair it to cut the source of the stray current. Or else get a "Ground probe" from good LFS to resolve the stray current.

I'm not technically inclined, just sharing my experience.

if u happen to have a pH monitor, the reading will keep on jumping. of course, maybe it's just time to change the battery or probe. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

i cant find any LFS selling the Ground probe. can anyone pm me where can i find one ? Cos my tank is undergoing cycling, and i think my pump leaking current . the thing is my place my right hand finger into the water i will not get shock. but when i place middle finger with a wound on it, i got shock. its like a ant bite .

anything one can help me on this ?

• SRC Member

:phone: Hi,

Personally, I used a testpen to test for stray voltage. (Those red-colour looking 'straight' screw-driver with a bulb at the end). Just touch the tip of the screw-driver, with ur thumb/finger at the top of the screw-driver. *Note* For the testpen to work, you must not wear any slippers, shoes. You must somehow be 'grounded'.

Alternatively, I would simply just touch the surface of the tank water with my fingertip. (This method is a bit dangerous). If you feel a 'tick' feeling, most probably some stray voltage exists in the tank.

If some stray voltage exists in your tank, to prevent getting the shock/'tick', you can try wearing rubber sole slippers.

For my case, I encountered stray voltage bcos I had a pump, those cheapo type (think is JBJ brand), whose housing lid is not completely water-proof. I had since changed that pump and nv buy those cheapo pumps again. Oh, surprising, even with those existing stray voltage, my fish seems ok. Mayb, the stray voltage isn't large enough. To find which device is causing the stray voltage, u could try turning off all the electrial devices, (circulation pump, lightning, etc) and turn them on one-by-one and test with the testpen.

Hope it helps!

hi guys ,

Pet mart and reefdepot is selling rounding probes.

However when u have stray current in your tank , it is better to change the equipment then just hve grounding probes.solve the problem at the root .

:)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10