debenise's 3ft reefy world

debenise

• SRC Member

I started with a nano cube tank then to a 2ft and finally to a 3ft :lol:

Thanks to my wife's patience and my perserverance in trying failure after failure

mostly all thanks to my gan-cheongness in buying fishes n corals almost daily :P

Anyway my setup is simple and low budget. I do partial water changes almost daily if not 2days. I dose supplements also.

Fishes are fed with dried brineshrimps, pellets & live brineshrimps every 3days.

Inverts & corals are fed with coral 5-in-1 liquified lotion and self-mixed food which consist of clams,oysters,prawns,seaweed,mussels,fish roe,squid,pellets,dried brineshrimp & powdered phytoplankton.

Here are the residents i have in my reefy world.

(not experienced enuff for SPS yet haha)

~Corals : torch, zoas, bubbles, frogspawn, hammer, yumas, cup coral, sunnies & mushies & leathers

~20 Fishes : fire goby, mandarin dragonet, blue tang, dispar anthias, black neon damsels, blue green chromis & talbot's damsels

~Inverts : feather sea star, sally light foot, hermit crabs, tube worms, algae snails, cowrie shell, sea apple, sea cucumber, garden eel & brittle stars

Here are some pix for your kind perusal. Thanks for viewing and be glad to hear advises to improve this environment :thanks:

side view of the tank

jan07sideview.jpg

front view of the tank

26jan07.jpg

bubbles

bubblesfiregobyjan07.jpg

zoas

zoas.jpg

PIC_1283.jpg

jan074.jpg

torch

torch.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting tank u have .

what lighting are u using ?

can tell u that all ur zoo are not really doing well and they are streching for more lighting.

that bubbles of yours in the centre can open very hugh . be careful of that guy.

anyway i very peifu you for changing water everyday. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

hi hammy thanks for the tip up :D

yah the zoas seem to be stretching like becoming giraffes liao

im still using normal lighting but changing to T5 soon

hi bigben the sand anemone was originally white when i got it.

during the time i got it the rest of the anemones were also all whitish

seems ok as have been with me for 6mths liao n never shift house ever since i placed it there :lol:

hi hammy thanks for the tip up :D

yah the zoas seem to be stretching like becoming giraffes liao

im still using normal lighting but changing to T5 soon

hi bigben the sand anemone was originally white when i got it.

during the time i got it the rest of the anemones were also all whitish

seems ok as have been with me for 6mths liao n never shift house ever since i placed it there :lol:

yup , change to at least 4 T5 minimum , but 6-8 HO T5 will be great generally.

can see that u have spend a lot on the coral, dun let one piece of equipment ruin ur beautiful coral's health. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Very interesting concept... I like the subtle colouration... most of us are too obsessed with bright intense colours... your tank looks really natural and calm :bow:

Mind sharing with us a bit more on hardware?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

yup , change to at least 4 T5 minimum , but 6-8 HO T5 will be great generally.

can see that u have spend a lot on the coral, dun let one piece of equipment ruin ur beautiful coral's health. :)

yes sir!! i will eat lesser go light footed when driving and save more to get at least 4 T5 tubes!! sacrifice for the corals hehe

thanks for the advice yet again hammy :D

• SRC Member
hi barn, the feather sea star have been with me almost 4mths already. got it from coral farm. that time saw have another which was chilli red. looks chio chio also but decided to get this fella with more subtle colour hehe

hey what u feed ur feather star ah? i think my one gonna up the lorry. must feed phyto is it? i feed it zoos

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
Very interesting concept... I like the subtle colouration... most of us are too obsessed with bright intense colours... your tank looks really natural and calm :bow:

Mind sharing with us a bit more on hardware?

thanks for appreciating the subtle environment though i personally feel that what you guys have in terms of coloured decorative reef tank is much much nicer!!

will be posting shortly on the cheapo laoya equipments im using :paiseh:

i just try my best to be a good & consistent reefer in taking care my residents :lol:

• SRC Member

hey what u feed ur feather star ah? i think my one gonna up the lorry. must feed phyto is it? i feed it zoos

hi john

i mixed up my own self-made receipe for my inverts n corals.

have been using this self-made food since when i had 2ft. :lol:

i did indicate the ingredients in the 1st post. till now my inverts have been

living happily hehe but abit siong lar :cry: cuz need to get the ingredients from

diff supermarkets n then cant keepstock alot cuz by then not fresh. then gotta

blend them to fine bits n diligently feed on alternate nights.

• SRC Member
hi there.. dun tell me u use saltwater to do daily topups?

hi hi

yes i use saltwater for topup daily if not every 2 days.

the holding tank is always full if not 3/4 full for the frequent topups and

change of about 5% frequent change of water. :D

• SRC Member

hi hi

yes i use saltwater for topup daily if not every 2 days.

the holding tank is always full if not 3/4 full for the frequent topups and

change of about 5% frequent change of water. :D

Bro, you better check your SG :ooh: ....top up with fresh-water. Due to evaporation, your SG will start to creep....

Bro I suggest you check your salinity with a reliable apparatus immediately... it must be on the very high side since you've been topping up with pre-mixed salt water. It's not hard to understand the concept that in this situation evaporation only occurs to freshwater (the salt will remain in the tank). So by just adding freshwater (treated tapwater, DI or RO/DI) it will help maintain your salinity at a desired level.

However, if your salinity shows anything exceeding 1.027... do not panic, your LS been accustom to it anyway... you can choose to bring it down slowly (say to 1.025 within a period of 2 weeks)... this will make any new introductions less stressed by the high salinity and to keep your maintenance lower. Water is cheap... but salt is not cheap at all :lol:

Do keep us posted on this :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Bro I suggest you check your salinity with a reliable apparatus immediately... it must be on the very high side since you've been topping up with pre-mixed salt water. It's not hard to understand the concept that in this situation evaporation only occurs to freshwater (the salt will remain in the tank). So by just adding freshwater (treated tapwater, DI or RO/DI) it will help maintain your salinity at a desired level.

However, if your salinity shows anything exceeding 1.027... do not panic, your LS been accustom to it anyway... you can choose to bring it down slowly (say to 1.025 within a period of 2 weeks)... this will make any new introductions less stressed by the high salinity and to keep your maintenance lower. Water is cheap... but salt is not cheap at all :lol:

Do keep us posted on this :heh:

oh no worries on the salinity as normally remains between 1.023-1.025 hehe

i use treated water (bio2 ELKEN brand) mixed with seawater i buy from coral farm.

so far its been ok lar for almost 2yrs le :lol:

Is your skimmate always very watery? Light in colour? And lots of it?