Aquavista99's new SPS reef

aquavista99

• SRC Member

I suppose my basement does look like a small-scale LFS. If you are ever in the area, please stop by for 50% off all LFS items....just kidding....if you are in the area, free frags for you! Here is the rest of the tour of my basement (IE, the drystock area).

coralupdatenov06363.jpg

coralupdatenov06364.jpg

coralupdatenov06365.jpg

coralupdatenov06366.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update? :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Everything is looking good... can see improvements in some of the SPS :D:D:D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Everything is looking good... can see improvements in some of the SPS  :D  :D  :D

Yes, most of the corals are turning brighter colors (to blue, green, purple and yellow) and most are showing increased growth rates as well. Of course, my Geo 624 calcium reactor is probably responsible for the increased growth and added color. BTW, I still add kalkwasser to my daily top off off water to help maintain proper pH and alk levels. My reef is starting off well.....still very young with potential and room for improvements.

Here is another picture of my calcuim reactor. It has been in use for about 6 weeks now and I am very pleased with the results to date.

coralupdatenov06369.jpg

Look at those Table Acroporas :blink::blink::blink: I have that DVD too... nice :yeah:

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank is too empty dude :lol::lol::lol: MORE MORE MORE!!! :evil:

• SRC Member
Your tank is too empty dude :lol::lol::lol: MORE MORE MORE!!! :evil:

I would like as much room as possible for the acros to grow out in all directions. I plan on adding a few more acros and monti caps in the near future as well (IE, the corals in the QT system have not been added yet)...Again, this is a young new reef. After a few years, the acros will hopefully have enough room to grow out.....then upgrade to a much larger system.

• SRC Member
there's still a lot of space to add more live rocks. big big tank.

how does the calcium reactor work?

the water reacts witht he CO2 gas and the residue is settle within the media?

I will not be adding more live rock.....want lots of space to allow the acros to grow out. There are many different types of calcium reactors on the market now ... some with second single pass chambers as well. Geo calcium reactors use a "bottom up flow of water" design which captures free CO2 and draws it back into the pump. This means less gas in the reactor and less gas in the effluent.

• SRC Member

I would like as much room as possible for the acros to grow out in all directions. I plan on adding a few more acros and monti caps in the near future as well (IE, the corals in the QT system have not been added yet)...Again, this is a young new reef. After a few years, the acros will hopefully have enough room to grow out.....then upgrade to a much larger system.

upgrade?

to a 10ft?

upgrade?

to a 10ft?

Nah... in the US... they go by US Gallons... and usually by the thousands :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

upgrade?

to a 10ft?

I am already planning my next reef tank....it is still a few years away. Would like something around 8 feet long by 3 feet wide and 31 inches tall.....300 plus gallons. Eurobraced. My current system is 6X2X2

• SRC Member
think in a few years it will be packed with sps growing everywhere :D , but then u probably start fragging a lot and trading and selling them to make up for the new tank.

You are probably right. I am already offering some frags, but down the road, fragging will be a part of routine maintenance. I added some nice new acro frags last night and changed the landscape of my reef (moved some corals and rocks around). In my area, there are not a lot of people interested in trading, buying or keeping SPS corals. My best bet is to offer frags for trade/sale at frag swaps.

• 5 months later...

too bad GEO CR can only purchase in US

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W