My cleaner shrimps got eggs

acce

• SRC Member
I have 2 cleaner shrimp that has been with me for 3mths. Both have eggs now in their tummy, is there anything i can do??

You don't have to do anything at all.They will just serve as food for your tank inhabitants. Since both your shrimps are pregnant at the same time, it is unlikely that the eggs are fertilised. ;)

• SRC Member
You don't have to do anything at all.They will just serve as food for your tank inhabitants. Since both your shrimps are pregnant at the same time, it is unlikely that the eggs are fertilised.

I think otherwise....although cleaner shrimp breeding have not been sucessful for hobbyist but many have tried and are close to sucess.... Nevertheless many choose to use these new hatchings as food for the mass.....

I think the eggs are fertilised cause the cleaner shrimps are hermaphroditic, meaning that each individual is capable of producing both ova and spermatozoa. Each individual therefor acts as the opposing ######, with one using sperm to fertilize the others eggs and visa versa.

You can use this as a starting guide if you are interested in breeding them..... under article, captive breeding....

Cheers...

:peace:

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
One of my cleaner shrimp gave birth to hundreds of small flys last night :)

but ......by this morning can't see any of it already :cry2:

They will lay the larvae at night, shine a torch light above the tank and they will congregate around it. Scoop them up and place them in a breeding tank if you wanna try breeding them.

Oh man, you forgot to feed mother shrimps with ginseng birdnest! It's healthier for the babies ya know.

My shrimps gave birth too. Babies are either eaten up by night feeders, gone into overflow cotton-wool or executed by powerhead propeller. There is a higher chance some may survive if you have a refugium.

But I like the idea of shinning a light to attract them and transporting into a breeding facility.