New FOWLR Tank

Hi All,

I’m thinking of setting up a FOWLR and using a canister filter and 10-15% water change bi-weekly. But was wondering on what would you advice using in the canister filter. I thought of crushed coral, a sponge for mechanical filtration, some activated carbon and phosphate remover in a mesh bag.

Your thoughts and comments please. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi All,

I’m thinking of setting up a FOWLR and using a canister filter and 10-15% water change bi-weekly. But was wondering on what would you advice using in the canister filter. I thought of crushed coral, a sponge for mechanical filtration, some activated carbon and phosphate remover in a mesh bag.

Your thoughts and comments please. :thanks:

Crushed coral is not advisable as nitrate will built up eventually. The rest of the filtration media is fine. Btw, I had up setup a FOWLR tank too.

• SRC Member

alternatives for crush coral = biohome, eheim substrat etc. but again there will always be the theory that it will cause shit buildup.

2 solutions:

1. change your filter media now and then. say you have 3 media baskets of crushed coral. every month throw out one basket and put new crushed coral. this way there will always be old bacteria, but u get to remove the build up of waste in the media, part by part.

2. put a sponge on the pipe that sucks water into the filter. This way all big pieces of waste will get trapped thus mechanically filtered in that sponge and water going into the canister will be free from physical waste. Everyday remove that sponge and rinse it out thoroughly.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
Excuse my ignorance but why are people using DSB's.... for example the below link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captbunzo/103129870/

The tiny organisms in the sand help to consume any uneaten food or other organic matter that settles into the sand before it has a chance to decompose and foul the water. The significant role of DSB plays is denitrification.

However, aquarist today seldom practise DSB in the main tank bcos if sand bed is disturbed, it can release a large volume of anoxic water into the tank which can be dangerous, resulted to tank crash. But pple to use DSB in the sump.

Hope it helps ;)

It helps but at the same time it doesnt :s I have been a fresh water man for more than 15 years and never seen this complication before.

Each aquarist has his own method and its difficult to follow one.

What do u think if i remove the trays from the canister filter and fill it up with live sand instead ?