ricordia

soggy

• SRC Member

sorry, another question. i realised yesterday morning that one of the mushrooms was slightly detached from the rock. it'll reattach won't it? tell me it will..

I have a yuma that is experiencing something like that when I bought it.....it has since reattached itself onto the rock...a hit and miss thing...

sometime...'brown jelly' appears and the whole piece will melt away.....

sometimes it will just float away....

but in my experience...yumas seldom float away like discosoma....the common thing would be shrinking and bleaching ...then disappearing...... :o

I've got some Yumas & Floridea Ricordia. I target feed them brime shrimps. They can eat a few (2-3) at one go. Ricordia seems to eat more & also more quickly. I switch off all my pumps during feeding. I'll also use a long chop-stick to "glide" any brime shrimps that might have missed their mark towards the ricordia's mouth. They'll swallow it under 2 minutes. If it's farther from the mouth, eg. near the edge of their flap, their surrounding bubbles will still catch the food but they'll take a longer time to transfer it to their mouth. As I've quite a no. of shrimps in my tank, I'll usually keep my chop-stick nearby like a mother hen to fend off any potential "thief". Usually, to kurb this incessant robbing by the shrimps, I'll also feed flakes before I drop the brime shrimps.

I target feed as often as every day but the whole process of fending off "thiefs" can be quite tedious. They can probably survive without this target feeding but I notice that they do grow bigger with this additional source of protein.

Incidentally, from what I read at RC, lighting only provide corals with carbohydrates which gives them the energy for their basic functions however protein is required for growth & this is only derived from feeding. Also, corals feed on zooplankton (ie microscopic animals) & generally don't feed directly on phytoplanton (ie microscopic plants, eg. DTs). Worms (eg. feather duster & other filter feeders) will feed on DTs. If your tank have a balance ecosytem, the excretion or spawn from these worms can then be a very good albeit indirect source of food for the corals.

ya...from my exp....mushrooms do sting each other as well, I placed my hairy mushroom beside my yumas, it will shrink up. Ricordeas and yumas sometime do not agree with each other as well. So its a trial and error thingy....

Yah hairy sting is rather lethal ;);)

• SRC Member
I have a yuma that is experiencing something like that when I bought it.....it has since reattached itself onto the rock...a hit and miss thing...

sometime...'brown jelly' appears and the whole piece will melt away.....

sometimes it will just float away....

but in my experience...yumas seldom float away like discosoma....the common thing would be shrinking and bleaching ...then disappearing...... :o

haha... i haf yumas, discosomas, star polyps and buttons floating all over my tank...

when they overcrowd a rock, yumas tend to detach from that rock and fall off... when that happens they will form sort of a base on their own(my guess is by secreting mucus)...

also a few polyps now existing on their own when i used hammer and chisel to whack the main rock in half and the loose ones just detach and survive on their own...

i haf polyps of discosomas being placed all over the tank as they simply float off the main colony when at one time the current was too strong...

as for the buttons.. well... one particular colony i got from reb*rn wasn't really attached to a solid rock.. the colony is in fact holding pieces of rocks together... that is one reasons why they detach after a while...

single polyps have also been 'fragged' by the pistol shrimp... so all these loose polyps juz float around and settle where the current isn't strong and ....(seems like they are starting a few colonies in the tank)

but i do find a few particularly huge polyps of mushrooms... the hairy types... they start to disintegrate after attaining their maximum size for sometime... makes me wonder if the juz age and die...? anyone noes?